Found a possible great deal on a longboard, but is it too big?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by coolerthanmoney, Mar 18, 2016.

1. coolerthanmoney

coolerthanmoney New Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Hey. I'm 55 and decided to take up surfing. Bodysurfed for years while growing up, but zero experience board surfing. I found a longboard in excellent condition for $300, but I'm thinking it may be way too big for me to maneuver. I'm 5'8", 170 lbs. The board is 10'2" x 25" x 3.5".

So what do you experienced riders say? Okay for starting out, or would I just be wasting money?

Thanks for your input.

2. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    I would say too big... with the caveat that it depends on where you surf.

You definitely want the float, but for someone with zero experience moving a board around, that thing is going to be cumbersome as hell. You'll have trouble turning it to go for a wave, trouble getting out of other people's way, and trouble keeping the board from hitting you.

Now, that caveat... if you surf somewhere that has good waves for longboarding, is an easy place to paddle out, and has little to no crowd, then this purchase makes sense. Otherwise I think you'd be better off with something in around 8' x 20+" x 3-ish.

3. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Interesting question but nothing will be answered in honesty without a propere hello tread. Just a sayin'
    The rest of us will get back to ya...
    K?

By the way we're all 55 and just starting. So don't believe anything you read here.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Get a wavestorm. Costco Surf Shop has a wide range from 8'0-8'0

5. garbanzobean

garbanzobean Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Just get it. It will be a heap of fun and you are not going to "maneuver" it anyhow. You will be happy to get in halfway trim on some mushburgers and maybe you will like it so much you will try a more appropriate size log that will actually fit into a pocket instead of just getting a good deal. Sure it is big but big means hard to fall off of and stable- perfect for a newbie. Wish you could see our local SUPerware party at my beach- they paddle for and take off on anything that even remotely looks like a breaking swell, going right on lefts & vice versa, shoulder hopping everything regardless if someone is already on that wave and they will hoot themselves riding straight off adolph. The ugliest and most cringeworthy surfing ever but they seem to be having a ball. That will be you on that barge. Get it and enjoy.

6. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Don't get it ... keep on body surfing. Surfing is no fun and is a complete waist of time.
    Now Here is the best information you will get... Ready???GTF off our treads you no good piece of jellybagger . who do you think you are just jumping right in and starting a tread on your first post?

But don't give up just yet... you can redeem yourself by starting a hello tread and posting nude pics of the females in your life like for instance...your wife or daughter or even your dog also tell us what kind of pizza you like and what type of self medicating you do. also let us know where you want to surf? I hear the Belmar is a great place to learn or if you're in Fl. look for a windowless white van, there you'll find a friendly soul who will even teach you a thing or 2 and then he will teach you to surf!

Oh, and most of all don't be an abandoner.
    Any way welcome aboard and don't go in the ocean because there are sharks.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    ...and how old is that 3hun board? If is as old as us it will probably make for a better bar-top. If it's a new era board it will be of use for now and years to come. Much lighter.
    It's always easier to learn on a longboart. Fine tune the basics first, then you can always go to shorter boards. Enjoy, stay stoked and keep us infoed!

8. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    ...and what antoine said!

9. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I got one, rode it 1 and a half times, and it cursed this area with no waves. I tried to sell it at the church but no buyer. I gave it away so maybe this year there'll be waves.

10. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Can u even swimme? Mount a walker on it and a transome for a trolling motor.

11. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    No way - it's not too long!

Anyone who says a 10'2 board is too long has never ridden one over 10ft

Plus if your learning- and since your older- the bigger is better

I have had many longboards and can say that I don't really notice any major difference in my 9'4 turns from my 10'4. In fact the argument could be made that it's easier to turn the 10'4. Turning really depends more on the way the board is shaped (rails and tail shape- also fin and fin placement)

That being said - the only difference noticeable is while paddeling on a bigger board- you just have more board in front of you, which doesn't really effect anything. And no- it will not make your nose go under and different than any other long board.

Go for it- sounds like a good deal. Plus - like I said, being older and just starting- you want a bigger board anyways. You'll thank me later.

12. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oh yes- how could old Mr Belmar have forgotten to check his member status?!?

Yes , yes and yes! This is a must!

You must start a proper hello thread to properly introduce yourself!!

Believe me, it will just go better for you in the long run on here...

Your pal
    Mr Belmar

13. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

For most it is too big, and for your body size as well.
    However (!!!)....flotation is your friend when you are learning. So, if you do not mind buying this board to start and to get you standing up with ease, then buy it, and sell it when you are ready to downsize a bit.
    You could also do well with a 9 footer etc.
    just opinion (I have been surfing now for 55 years; I am 65)

14. sandyhooksurfer

sandyhooksurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Why not try a surf lesson and see if surfing is for you , it takes a lot of practice and time to learn to surf , or go for it and start building your quiver with this board . Most of us have more than one board to suit different wave sizes , conditions or our mood . You can learn on a board that big but I would look for one in the 9 ft. range , a little less board to negotiate when paddling out through the white water , which depending on where you surf can be harder than actually riding the wave .

15. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Too big for me, but sounds like a good deal. Maybe put a sail and a cooler on it.
    My pref would be to keep it around 9ft for a long board. Consider logistics and storage requirements. Carrying that thing in a good wind, you may go airborne!
    Wish you the best. I started surfing 3 1/2 years ago at 57. Was glad I kept in shape over the years.

16. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    No. I figgered God would be pleased with my sacrifice. We'll see this year.

17. sigmund

sigmund Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Go shorter, for every foot shorter in board length, your p***s grows by an inch.

18. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    If its actually in excellent condition, and not some horrible overseas junk, then you really can't go wrong. Longboards hold their value...if you like it then its a bargain for $300, if you don't like it then you wont have a bit of trouble selling it. Like the other guy said, "maneuvering" is not a factor if your just learning and planning to ride it is small waves.

By the way, 25" wide is EXTREMELY wide for any kind of longboard, even a 10 footer. If true, that's odd, and combined with the 3.5" thickness for better or worse means this thing is a TANK.

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    If you are serious and well heeled, google Roy Stuart, he makes big boards, really nice ones, aboot 12 foot long and wooden and did I say really nice. They are works of art. They turn just like a 9 footer.

20. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    only thing that is to big to ride is mis13s mom but i did it anyways, got da herps