Free Surfboards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by sonfollowerssurf, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    hey wayne. keep your religion off the beaches in monmouth county. there's already enough trash coming down from up north to keep us entertained.

2. Aquidneck

Aquidneck Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    hmmm.... wayne, i fail to see exactly how and where jesus fits into your organizations objective about spreading the love for surfing? Lets see, you ask people for surfboards, out of the goodness of their hearts people give them up, then you turn around and give them away in the name of jesus? That seems incredibly manipulative and down right wrong. What part did religion play in that transaction? Give the credit where the credit is due, its good people doing good things, not jesus. Don't use the sport that i love as a tool to push your beliefs on others.

keep your religious beliefs away from my beaches please.

3. GA longboarder

GA longboarder New Member

Mar 4, 2013
    I don't know what the issue is about a fellow Christian wishing to provide young people who might not be able to afford a surfboard the opportunity to try surfing and at the same time, perhaps lead them to know Christ.
    This organization is welcome to drop by the Brunswick/Jekyll Island area anytime. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kids wanting to surf and learn more about their salvation.

4. liveones

liveones Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    That is a fantastic suggestion. If you think anything said on here is offensive you would have a lot of souls to save on that forum

5. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    That's what Jesus said.

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Jesus didn't own shoes bit he rode a fish didn't he?

7. sonfollowerssurf

sonfollowerssurf Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    To the surfer in Brunswick/Jekyll Island I really need to talk to you. Currently we have no stops in Georgia. You can contact us via phone 321-626-9107 or facebook Son Followers Ministry Cocoa Beach or PM me.

Thanks Wayne

8. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Its pretty typical - i'm not surprised he's getting the reaction he is. The guy claims to be doing something righteous, spreading the word he strongly believes in and traveling around costs money so donations are welcome. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. People who want no part in it (myself included) can't just leave it alone and say "thats not for me, I'll pass" they have to try and take him down by winning some sort of argument.

9. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    zaGaffer,

I noticed your question and that is a very good one. The apostle Paul dealt with something parallel in the early church when meats that were used in Pagan ceremonies were sold for cheap in the market afterward. The question came up, should a Christian be denied getting a decent piece of meat at a bargain because of his religious beliefs? The answer, in a nutshell, is no, unless it were to cause someone else to stumble in their beliefs/conscience, then, out of sacrificial love and concern for another, your would for go the meat for the sake of some one else. See Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 10:23-31 for the discourse. Basically, the Christian believer has great liberty, however, such liberty is to be used with a love and concern for others and not self. In the case of a surf board, I would think it has "no spiritual appraisal" to one who has put their faith in God. To the believer, it only becomes a problem if surfing were to steal a proper affection due God, or somehow hinder or distract a proper love and concern for their fellow man, or their responsibilities.

As far as some of the concern regarding the mix of surfing and religion, I appreciate the concern. Many bad things have been done in the name of religion, and many good things as well (i.e., the founding of hospitals, etc.). Likewise, can be said of good and bad things outside of religion. I suppose we'll have to take the good with the bad.

To the OP, if you are motivated by the stoke of love in your heart, then go for it.

10. sonfollowerssurf

Oct 9, 2012
    There is no religion being endorsed here. This is about having a personal relationship with Jesus and spreading the good news that goes with that. Free Surfboards for all in need of one.

11. mushdoc

mushdoc Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    You guys need to lighten up. If the guy wants to give out some boards and share his passion for Christ...why is that something to get hostile about? No one is being forced into anything as far as I can tell.
    Am I missing something here? What does a tax status have to do with it? I thought the surf culture was all about being laid back and hang loose.

12. highvelocity

highvelocity Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    wWell done zaGaffer.

Guys lets sum this up in a nut shell. Most people in this world dont believe in anything, that is why people murder steal dont go to work take more than they give dont take care of there own health house car block beach and even kids. Anyone in my eyes trying to teach anyone anything is good.Even more power to them if they pass out a book talk about jeses or god. Teaching kids or youth in general is or only hope in trying to turn this country around and the fact of the matter is when you look at in all the biggest change that has changed over the years is the decline in peoples faith in general. If you can get someone anyone to believe in anything its going to better them and the people around them.

If you dont like what this guy has to say and you think you can do better do it. He isnt pushing you to pray or give him anything in reality his doing more then you are. Hes trying to help no matter what his under lying point is.

13. highvelocity

highvelocity Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    Hes trying to help the way he sees best. We should all be doing the same.

14. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    wait no religion but you're talking about a personal relationship with Jesus. That's the ENTIRE BASIS of Christianity.

I surf and want a personal relationship with Allah. Is that wrong? Or how bout a personal relationship with Ganesh?

keep your beliefs to yourself man.

15. sonfollowerssurf

Oct 9, 2012
    I must say negative outweighed positive here (persecution?). It's all good. If anyone would like to talk on a personal level feel free to PM me. If you have positive thoughts on this mission and you would like us to visit your area please contact us. To find out more follow us on facebook Son Followers Ministry Cocoa Beach.

Impacting the coast for Jesus

Wayne

16. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Perhaps people are just tired of the hypocrisy that all too often gets jammed down our throats with the proselytizing. And which has been jammed at us for hundreds of years.

Priests & religious 'leaders' of all kinds butt-bombing boys. Abusing women. Stealing money. Lording over us common folk with that entitlement thing raging unchecked.

Perhaps many of us are just tired, tired, tired of hearing how someone proclaims that they have the solution to a good life, only to see that someone, time & again, unveiled as merely human with all the foibles, fallacies & foulness of standard-issue homo sapiens.

You found something that works for you? Really? Then just keep it to yourself.

Tired of the self-help soul-unrolled deep-dish how-to-fix-your-life recipes from those who've gone off the rails & stumbled back towards the rest of humanity wearing the cloak of self-destructiveness and redemption as if it's carte blanche or worse, their own private EZ Pass to life.

Religious proselytizing is one of those offenders.

Who giveth a f***eth what you think. Keep thine noise to thyself.

17. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Yankee is correct, pride goeth before a fall, there is no one good, and all have sinned.

18. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    this is why you religious people are the worst. "i want to shove my beliefs on you but you're not allowed to disagree" stay in florida please.

ps Hanna is my hero

19. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If you find some kids, just give them the board yourself.... If you surf, you know kids that could use a new board.