Greetings

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Tlokein, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Tlokein

Tlokein Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Been lurking here for quite a while. Not much of a message board poster, but this site seems to be pretty good and have good info with a relatively low number of d-bags, so what the hell, might as well say hello.

I'm a log rider mainly, 44yrs old, 6'1", 200lbs, decent shape...years of motox, mbiking, snowboarding, wakeboarding, etc. etc. have taken their toll though...back surgery, 3 knee ops (one rebuilt), dislocated shoulder, too many stitches and broken bones to list. But will be paddling out until the day I die or I just can't stand up anymore.

Started surfing late (Mid 30s), but was hooked the first time I actually stood up. Don't care about being seen, being cool, or anything else like that. Don't even bother getting in the lineup, I'm down the beach by myself or with friends, and perfectly happy with that. Just love to surf...small, mushy, I don't care...

Surfed OBX, Topsail, EI, Holden, and CB. CB is my main beach, mainly b/c we have good friends in Wilmington to stay with and its a quick trip. Plus a lot more mellow than WB. We usually have several trucks on the N end, and pretty much everyone surfs, including the lil ones.

I wouldn't say I'm that I'm any good, but I have fun and just want to progress into being the best surfer I can be before the wheels fall off. I've progressed past the whitewash and now am catching drops...sometimes. Miss more than I get but I understand its a process, and I'm in it for life, so as long as I'm not hitting a brick wall in my progress I'm good. And don't worry, you won't catch me dropping in on anyone, or sitting the shoulder, or sitting inside. I'm not that guy.

Proud to say my lil girl started when she was 6 and has already saved up and bought her own board. Now she's 8 and doesn't want my help at all, she just grabs it and goes. :). She'll be a far better surfer than I could ever hope to be.

Much respect to surfers, surfing, the ocean, and everything in between, and to all of you who are kind enough to help guys like me out. I have a couple generations of ties to the Morehead and CB area, and have practically grown up in the ocean thanks to my parents. I always feel at home in the water.

Sorry for the novel, just figured better to throw it all out there rather than piecemeal it. Will be at CB this Sat and Sun, feel free to stop by and say hello if you want. Or not...live and let live is my motto. Blue 4 runner with a Clutch sticker/ tan canopy. Usually get out early and get a little down from the pier outside the lineup.

Rgds,
    Ron

2. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Howdy Ron, welcome to SI.

3. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    we fully expect you to reach 1,000 posts within two months.

4. DTK

DTK Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Yep, heyda hey Ronaldo! Enjoy your beach weekend and all the cool things that make up your life!

5. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Greetings to you, Ron. Is your last name "Jon?" I'm glad to hear that you and your daughter are having a great time out there. Hearing stories like this reminds you what surfing is all about. Quality stuff, man. There's a good chance that we've split a few peaks before. I'll definitely keep an eye out for you this weekend, although I normally surf a few blocks south of the North End Pier. I'll be wearing an orange wetsuit and a white space helmet. Not really.

See you in the water, Ron.

-DL

6. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    If you want to throw it all out there.........

Who do you think are the douche bags on here?

Might as well get off with a bang.

I'm a douche bag, but that's a given. Who else makes your list?

7. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Aug 22, 2012
    "I'll be wearing an orange wetsuit and a white space helmet. Not really."

DL thats a classic.

PJB outside of unfairly criticizing super hot women longboarders you are far from a douche.

8. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    My dealings with njplaya were a bit douchy, but I take some of the blame for that.

Truth be told, I don't think there are any true douches on SI. I think we're all nice people. Those who act douchy are doing so to make this forum more fun.

9. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    the good thing is, from a outdoors/exercise pov, surfing is always fun...but, if you're expecting to progress fast, it can be frustrating. The bad thing is it takes a very long time to get good (paddling, picking the right waves, board control, dealing with others, etc)

the shoulder injuries could effect you, especially at the age you're coming into...that's why I don't mtn bike (got hurt every time)

10. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    @seldom seen - thanks!
    @Manisses - prob won't that many in 10 years ;-)
    @DTK - thanks and I will certainly make every effort to do so...you do the same
    @dlrouen - thanks, and if we meet up you'll get the last name. you'll laugh because its another famous Ron. Orange wetsuit and space helmet? Classic. Wife wants me take vid of me in my old school batman suit surfing...strapped with my can of shark repellant of course...someday. If your up that way stop by, but don't make a special trip on my account.
    @PJB - no way I'm going there. :) And usually those that claim to be d-bags right off the start...aren't.
    @mad atom - agreed, this site seems pretty mellow, which is why I've come out of the woodowork

11. dlrouen

dlrouen Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Ron Jeremy.

12. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Well thanks, Naragansett Tall boy drinker. I don't know. I don't target too many people, but she's just one of them. Probably is the "art" thing. Pro surfers who start painting, playing guitars, or snapping photos like some SoHo boho
    gets my grill. I don't know why....

Ron.................Jeremy?

13. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Holy smacks, DLouren............great now I look bad. Please don't post as I'm typing. Thank you. That goes for all of youse.

14. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    @waterbaby - agreed, and I'm not expecting fast progress, just get a lil better each time...then I try something else, fail, get up, try again, fail...repeat ad nauseum, then one day, success! No rush for me. I'd rather be failing at real surfing than succeeding at channel surfing. You are correct, the shoulder bothers me the most. Knees and back are usually ok, if I do lots of paddling the shoulder does get sore. When not at the beach I try to get out to the lake and paddle, but still no substitute for paddling in the ocean. As long as I don't overdoit I'm usually only sore for a couple days. At least its not like hockey where I throw it out of socket on backhanders.

@Manisses/PBJ: Any pics from the thread criticizing super hot women longboarders? I think I need to read that thread...

Damn, Manisses might be right. Already posting more than I've done in the last 5 years combined.

15. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    @dlrouen and PJB - good guess, but no...

16. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Welcome. We are an eclectic group on here. Don't let that scare you away.

17. Dudicles

Dudicles Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Is it Ron Burgandy?

Stay classy San Diego, I'm Ron Burgandy?
    Dammit who typed the question mark on the teleprompter!

I too started in my mid 30s and have been progressing sloooooowwwwlllly. Although this morning I had a line and went up the face, turned back down the wave, then dug in and turned back up the wave. I think that's considered a "turn" but I don't know. It felt cool. I certainly didn't throw buckets, but felt like I was up and doing something instead of just happy to be there.

Edit: on the next wave I reestablished my status and totally bit it with a sliding wipeout before I even stood up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Aug 22, 2012
    Ron Darling! Is that you? You should be in the booth on SNY covering Harvey throwing darts at the Marlins.

19. Tlokein

Oct 12, 2012
    @brewengineer - good. Pretty much all my friends are freaks and fly that flag high. Wouldn't have it any other way. A shopping mall or golf course in Cary, NC? Now that scares me...

@dudicles - another good guess, but no. Good to hear you were making turns, and you're not alone. Anytime I think I've got something going the ocean reminds me just how much I have to learn. I keep my status and bar set low.

20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012