Hammie pull

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by sisurfdogg, Nov 9, 2015.

1. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    It's happened three times over the last five months. Nothing major, but definitely a pull. Same leg, same place, in the belly (aka- midpoint) - of the hamstring, not at the attachment to the arse. After a couple days of rest and then a couple days of easy stretching it feels fine. I have surfed lots and it only got tweaked surfing once about three weeks ago during a really choppy day of mosh. I hurt it the first time running through a lightning storm to my car from a bar, the second time a month later doing a front snap kick.

I do yoga twice a week, tai chi every day. On the negative side, I work at a desk job seated 6-8 hours a day. I stretch every hour. Any tips. I'm scared next time I'll get a bad one and be out of the line up for a while, just when wave season is ramping up.

I know I've come to the right place. My bad shoulder is almost like new due to saged advice received from this here surf predictin site. Thanks in advance!

2. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This mediacal advise asspect of The Forum is really gaining tractione.

3. hondatechcr

hondatechcr Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2014
    rub some tussin on it

4. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    get one of those electro-shock info-mercial things

5. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm thinking Swedish massage, ya?

6. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Drink more beer.

7. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I'd just up the yoga/stretching to 4-6 days a week. I'm not a yoga expert at all. But I basically do two kinds of yoga. Stretching or a more tedious routine that's more of a work out. Whenever I get shoulder issues or back issues I just stretch allot and once it's feeling better I sort of rehab it if you will by working it out more. My back and shoulder issues rarely come back.

I was getting numbness in my hand after surfing. Figured it was a pinched nerve in my shoulder or neck. I stretched it for about 2 weeks than worked on strengthening it and Iv been good ever since

8. mattyhams

mattyhams Member

Jan 27, 2010
    sisurfdogg if you're still feeling that sharp pain, you actually don't want to stretch it. Stretching has an inverse affect if you've pulled it. Your muscle naturally wants to tighten to protect itself.

Right now you need to work on building that hammy muscle, not stretching it. Get some dumbells and do high reps of Romanian dead lifts. YouTube a good vid to get the right pointers. Technique is key, but will help your hamstring like no other.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Right now your desk being at rest is best; never mind stretching it--sounds as if you have a tear, which needs lots of time to heal. Muscle is akin to a cloth material--it needs to reweave itself together. The "threads" need time. So I would say, do NO stretches of that muscle for now. Take long walks, get laid a lot....but no stretching.
    Dr. Barry

10. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    [video=youtube;X9jXnZS3ouU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jXnZS3ouU[/video]

11. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Hate to say it, Barry's right.

Went through this two years ago. Missed most of fall and all of winter before I could surf. Once it heals you need to start building some strenght and stretch religiously. Don't know your age but getting old ain't easy and everything takes longer to heal. Goode luck. She may need to be on top if you tore it bad enogh.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  12. bagus

bagus Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2014
    dr barry omg that's funny

o barry more like it
    o barry

13. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    It's not that bad. Got laid this am. (Three minutes of extreme exertion). Surfed the longboard today, the shortboard yesterday, no pain, no tightness more than the usual old dude stuff. I think upping the yoga a bit, and after a month gradually doing lunges and squats to build up the strength. The sitting on the a$$ for too long can be fatal. That is a medical fact. Thanks for all the free advice! I really do think a good massage every now and then could be the key. My wife, she so jealous, so no let me have Asian woman walk on back.

14. G-Wood117

G-Wood117 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2014
    it's funny when I hit 50 I swear my warranty expired. That's how I learned so much about surfer's shoulder aka rotator cuff issues ... the painful way. And... I am "lucky" enough to have had some hammy probs too.
    So here goes ....
    Sounds like you are on the right track with the stretching, especially the every hour thing... I think what a lot of desk jockeys get wrong is they do a session of yoga or what have you but then they go back to a sitting position for the next 72 hours. IMO six 5-minute sessions spread out during the day, every day, is way more valuable than a single 30 minute session.
    The other easy fix is making sure your muscles are hydrated/plenty of electrolytes, and also plenty warm. Way easier to tear if muscles are tight and cold.
    My final and maybe most important bit of semi-solicited advice would be to add some hammy curls to your strength routine. The hammy "triple heater" is my favorite ... you lie on your back with your heels on a ball and do 10 bridges (or upside down planks or whatever you want to call them). Then 10 times you roll the ball to your butt, just like a curl machine. Then 10 more bridges, but with your forefoot on the ball. If you have a swiss ball, great , but if not you can use a basketball or soccer ball. This was key for me - I do a fair bit of cycling and ice hockey skating, and I didn't learn how to squat correctly until this year (see: goblet squat at stack.com) ... so my quads got disproportionately strong vs my hammies. Prior to this summer I pulled my hammie two years in a row playing hurling, once a level 2 I think they call it where you have bruising over the entire hamstring (more tear than pull). But this year, about a month ago, I was trying to keep up with some HS soccer kids in an ultimate game, sprinting as hard as I have in years (which wasn't enough! but that's a different story). But anyway no hammy pull.
    I am convinced that holistic approach to "prehab" was the key: strengthening and lengthening; watering and warming.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  15. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    This is what I was kinda looking for. Thanks! (I suspect the booze has taken a toll on my hydration quotient). I have a swiss ball, it helped me rehab my shoulder. I'll give those a try for a few weeks.

16. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
  17. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    This ^ is impressive. You hurled professionally...? What was your bevvie of choice that enabled you to make a living just hurling?

18. G-Wood117

G-Wood117 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2014
  19. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
  20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012