Height, weight, ride?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Just out of curiosity, what is your height and weight and what size board are you riding? And no, I’m not sizing anyone up for free candy or bench offs! HA HA

2. failing is my finest move

failing is my finest move Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Weight: 165

Height: 5'9''

Boards: 6'0'' CI Dumpster Diver (more for groveling)

Everyday Board: (using today at Ditch Plains) 5'6'' SUPERbrand Unit

Longboard: 9'0'' Firewire JT PRO model

3. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    5'4" 112 lbs. 9' board.

Not to hijack thread, but going to put a 6'7" fit muscular guy on a board first time. Is 9' board right size?

4. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    I would say a 9' board is a good board for first time for anyone.

Me - weight: 185

Height: 5'11"

Board: 6'4"

I am looking to go shorter, so i was just curious what everyone else rides based on your size and weight. I understand there are a lot of other variables. But, I am just keeping this simple.

5. G-Wood117

G-Wood117 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2014
    6' , fit 185 . 49yo, Gulf of Maine (weak) beach breaks
    7'6 quad fun fish when it is clean thigh to head
    9'4 2+1 when it's not fishable

6. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    9' is the right size for anyone. He'll definitely ride it differently than you but it'll float him. The rule of thumb for a longboard to be considered a "longboard" is 3' taller than the rider. I don't think your dude is entering any contests so you'll be good.

7. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Heaight: 5'11"
    Weight: 210-220 lbs

These are the boards I actually ride regularly.....

1) Waist to Chest: 5'11" Round tailed Disc....Quad...volume 1.51 cu ft. daily driver

2) Chest to slightly overhead: 6'5" Round Tailed Shortboard with Fishy characteristics....Run as Quad below head high, tri above head high....volume 1.3 cu ft. Was daily driver before board 1, and can be used in smaller stuff.

3) Junk up to waist/chest high: ????? Having new board shaped and I was advised just this morning it is finished. I asked for ballpark 6', full template wide nose and tail, very wide throughout with parallel rails. Lonboard buster type board. Alot of back and forth with shaper, but I tend to tell my shaper what I like in my existing boards, what I want the new one to do, etc.. and I let him run with the details, so I won't really know intil it arrives on my porch in afew days :)

My waist to chest board has way more range than I ever expected, and I routinely take it out in head high surf. In fact, that's what I rode for Cristobal. Even though it's got a full nose, my shaper put in the perfect amount of rocker, and combined with it's short length, it sticks a steep drop waaaay better than it seems it should, and I can slip into hollow waveswith it. I have to nurse bottom turns a bit, because the tail is pretty full and doesn't dig in like a board you would typically ride in head high waves, but it is so fun once in, like riding a 90's skateboard! It's really fast though, and runs away from the barrel. In hindsight, I wish I made it a 5 fin option, because as a tri it would be more submissive in bigger stuff, but I never expected to be using it in anything over chest high.

I widdled down to this smaller quiver after spending years with a lot of boards, some of which I rarely ever rode.

8. failing is my finest move

Mar 4, 2014
    Grom?

9. failing is my finest move

Mar 4, 2014
    Haha nice..

10. liberace

liberace Member

Jul 22, 2014
    5'-6", 135lbs old lady only been surfing a few years.

I have a 8ft, a 9ft and a 10ft board (because I sometimes take my nieces & nephews).
    Gotta tell ya, the big board is great for teaching people and for really small surf.
    So the 9ft will work for your friend Betty - but if you have access to anything bigger, use it!

11. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    6'0", very fit 200lbs +/-, 33 y.o., been surfing for the better part of 25 years now.

go-to board for decent-good days up for slightly OH: 5'10" campbell bros. octafish

board for smaller, ok-decent days: 5'6" campbell bros. mini b5

good wave board for HH+ days: 6'4" campbell bros. "shelter" model round pin

12. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    Lots of good info, thanks fellas and ladies! I have to say, I love my 6'4", but I think i am denying myself some opportunity.

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    since i started going shorter, i've had so much more fun...designs today are all about the distribution of foam & volume. 10 years ago, i'd never have thought i'd be riding a 5'10" on a chest-head high day. now, i don't even THINK of going over 6'0" unless it's serious surf.

14. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    6' even & 190 lbs.
    The boards I ride the most are:
    Thigh and smaller 9'4" lb
    thigh to chest when it's mushy 5'11" twin fin retro fish
    thigh to chest when it's steep/clean 6'1" single fin
    chest to 1ft overhead 6'4" rounded pin thruster
    1ft overhead+ 6'10" rounded pin thruster

15. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    5'9", 170 - 185lbs depending on how much beer I've been drinking, right now i'm in the 180ish range, but i'll be 170lbs within a month as i'm heading down to PR and want to be in prime shape.

My quiver: 6'4" Coil Flashback Fish (1.4 cu.ft. volume), 6'10" WRV FunFish, 8'1 McTavish 8 Ball (mini LB), 9' Orion Performance LB (brand new). Next board will probably be a 5'10" - 6" round tail Coil HPSB. I can ride any of my current boards at just about any weight but when i'm 170 i'm at my best obviously.

16. Zeroevol

Jun 22, 2009
    NJsurfer, thats exactly why I want to change up the size, I m just a little late to the game. LOL Getting married to the wrong person and not being able to really go any where near the beach for several years puts me back, too. Anyway, thats a diff story for a diff time.

DawnPatrol, I stay pretty consistant at about 183-185lbs, i am 42 and very fit. Ha Ha, I paddle circles around my friend's 18yr old son. Thinking about chaning the whole quiver. Need something on the longer side for small mushy day fun and then something shorter with a little more width in the nose

17. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I kind of discovered the same thing. It's been especially eye opening for me, because although I'm around 6', I have legs that would be more appropriae on someone that's 5'. Picture the proportions of a gorilla :)

I'm exagerating of course, but I do have relatively short legs, so on boards over 6' I can't seem to get my feet in the sweet spot for generating speed and turning at the same time. I end up having to shuffle a bit forward to generate speed, an back to lay into a hard turn. On a board 6' or less, I can plant my feet so that my rear is over the fins, and the front foot is right on the gas pedal. It's great. Besides, it's amazing how much difference half a foot makes in terms of fitting the board into a small-medium sized hollow wave.

On the other hand, if there's some extra water moving around, and I'm going to have to do a lot of paddling, then I welcome a little extra length. That's often what drives my decision between my 5'11" and my 6'5" when wave size is in the chest to head range.

18. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    6'0" height, pretty fit but no superstar, 175lbs
    6'0" Firewire Dominator-good waves...chest high plus
    6'0" Lost RNF-for chest high plus...mush to hollow days
    6'8" WRV Step-up/Winter Board...rarely use it, but for overhead days i guess
    6'6" Chaize single-fin, pintail, blunt nose, lots of foam. -for good waves. great winter board for chest high plus
    9'4" Weber Performer - knee high to couple feet overhead. for better waves. round rails, very "slippery, but fun ride.
    9'4" Becker HP Longboard - knee high to way overhead. mush to hollow waves.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  19. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    yea, absolutely! lots of water moving or a longer period swell, i'm grabbing a bigger board than i normally would if it were just normal wind swell.
    that said, i tend to also favor boards w/ the wide point pushed forward of center, so that the bulk of the foam is under my chest. helps the board paddle a lot better & allows for a more pulled in tail that'll hold into a steeper face better.

20. 1vin

1vin Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    6 ft and 190 -200
    when its knee to waist I ride a 9 ft singlefin .
    anything over waist its a 6.4ft v3 rocket