Height, weight, ride?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    +1 -- great advice

I am 6' 160 56 and fit
    longboard is 9' Tim Nolte HPLB
    6'10 Asymmetric fish by Rick Malwitz
    6'6" fishy squash on the way from Malwitz
    7' sharpeye Blowfish for big hollow days.

2. Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor

Riley Martin's Disgruntled Neighbor Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    6'0, 165. Riding my 6 piece Ethan Allen couch until my knee heals / rehabs in early November. Then I'm hopeful to get on a new 6'2 Vec Allinone to celebrate a return to the ocean from the couch.

3. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    hey guys, glad to participate in a thread about Surfing. here are some videos that really helped me, hopefully they will help you also:

arm positioning and proper stance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1OaJwvqhgk

looking at the wave, committing and identify which type of bottom turn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHJCXi5ZcPY

work on timing cutbacks, when to stop the turn: http://youtu.be/tN8ETrHVYfM

spending time on youtube and reviewing these videos then comparing to photos or videos of yourself is something that's helped me. what you feel is not real

funny everyone here is bigger than most, this video of william cardoso is great for everyone XL sized: http://www.surfingmagazine.com/video/willian-cardoso-back-90s-318/

btw: i remember seeing your posts on swaylocks and erBB back in the day, I dont always agree with what you write but you are one of the few posters i always enjoy reading your posts

4. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    6'1, about 160 lbs

5'9 byrne rocket fish. my board that i use for anything thigh high and up.

8 foot bz soft top. my board that i **** around with on those small summer days. i've ridden that board backwards, switch stance, finless, and a bunch of other ways. the possibilities are endless haha

and then a pair of churchill makapu's to bodysurf those barely surfable low tide drainers

5. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Foil is full to the rail...pretty flat deck...I was just as surprised when I first got it. I couldn't imagine a similar shape at 2 5/16...it'd be a monster. As for the measurement...yea I'm very sure... I double checked with calibers.

6. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You need more boards, Gaff. Feed the addiction, brudduh, feed the addiction...

7. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    HA HA HA, Yankee, I thought the same thing!

8. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    And I'm no one to talk...my board room is idiotic in #

9. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    thanks. i tend to hold some unorthodox opinions

10. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    I have 3, all about the same size and thought I was doing well. LOL Def going to add to the quiver, bigger and smaller. This thread turned out better then I thought

11. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    ditto...i purged a bunch over the last 6 months, too much overlap, but i've caught myself thinking of things to add to the quiver lately.
    the erBB is lousy w/ enablers :mad:

12. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    so she gets it then.

13. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    likely adding a 5'4" bing puck to this mix later today...also forgot to mention the 6'4" bing 3 fin bonzer that, while mostly a wall hanger, does still see water time a few times a year.

14. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    LOL! sounds like here.

15. ZombieSurfer

ZombieSurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Got a 6'2" JS fatfish 2 squash tail as my go to board at the moment.

I'm 6'1" about 175-180 lbs and going to be 26 in less than a month.

Usually switch it up between the JS and my 5'8" quad fishcuit. I've got a 7'10" funshape that rarely gets used anymore but was the board I learned on over 10 years ago.

When I'm not as broke as I currently am, I'm going to be in the market for something around 5'10"-6'0" with a 5 fin box set up with either a squash or diamond tail as my everyday go to board. Love the JS but as I've progressed over the years it's a little too much board for days under chest high. Holds up well in OH+ conditions though

16. jballen2

jballen2 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2010
    lets do this again:
    me: currently 6'2"x200.1 lbs

6'4"x19 1/2"x2 1/2"
    5'8"x20"x2 3/8"

backup 6'0"x20"x2 3/8"

I looked at what I wrote last year and was like "what the **** was I thinking?" I've gained probably 10 lbs and dropped about 5-6 liters of volume on my boards and am surfing way better (at least i think i am). In the last year i realized that volume is just another number thats part of a much bigger picture. low rocker under the chest has made up for the paddle power that i lost by thinning out the thickness and width on my boards.

goal is to not buy any new boards for a while and just be stoked with what i have and deal with it.

17. ScobeyviIIe

ScobeyviIIe Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2015
    5'11 x 175#

5'10x19.5x2.25 (go to shorty: Local shop board)
    5'9x19.25x2.25 (hi-per fish type deal: Local shop board)
    5'10x19x2.5 (fish: Strive skip jack)
    6'2x18.75x2.25 (shorty for the hollow daze: Super Marzo Madness)
    6'3x18.75x2.125 (step up: Chilli - step down)

18. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    good point, although I do think it's important to get the right size/vol...which is much easier when dealing directly with a shaper (buying off the rack usually means having to try a board to figure out the size, then selling that board to buy the right size). Other features (tail shape, bottom contours, rails, nose, etc) are easier to acclimate to than a board that's too big or too small.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE
    me:
    180 lbs
    6'0"

Boards:
    6'0" Roberts Modern 80s / polyurethane (chest to HH+)
    5'9" Roberts Mutant / polyurethane (knee to shoulder)

These are the dimensions Robert suggested for me as an intermediate. The mutant is perfect...the M80s rails feel a bit too full, but I haven't used it much yet and not in any waves worth a sh!t.

The boards I had prior were a 5'8" Lost Couch Potato and a 5'11" Lost V2 Stub. After over a year on those, I was sure they were both one size too big for me.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  19. JohnnyCornstarch

JohnnyCornstarch Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2015
    I'm 5'11" 165

45" exile carbon pro model

5'9"X19.25X2.5 Perscription Spanish Omlette Varial Foam FLurida pro model

20. Slystick

Slystick Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Height: 6'(4-5)
    Weight: 196ish