Help me understand something

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by smitty517, Feb 11, 2018.

1. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Can someone help me understand why people send money and gifts to people on internet? I watched several Ben Gravvy videos and found myself shocked by all the people who send him stuff for free. In one of his latest episodes some dude carved him an insane drum. Others send money or videos of support.

Am i a total ahole because i would never do that. While i am happy people found a different way to live their lives i dont care enough to send them a note of repsect and certainly nothing of monetary value.

Again, not hating - simply wondering if i have an issue for thinking this way.

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

YOU, are the normal one.
    Those that send those assholes anything (especially not knowing the recipient) are the morons. Sheeple.
    Welcome to being normal.

smitty517 likes this.

3. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i agree 100%.

but i did give si member son bather bob a subscription to surfers journal and he hooked me up with a sweet west coast tshirt

si member your pier hooked me up with a pack of delicious IPA

towelie gave me some coffee from his trip to indo.

i shared some cold beers with dpsup

its cool to share some stoke with your brothers.

4. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    That's like sending money to a televangelist

Barry Cuda and metard like this.
  5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    wait

towelie sent me an avocado tree. a real ducking avocado tree. still have it and its going strong.

thanks my dude

your pier likes this.
  6. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    Thats pretty cool.

7. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    stoke sharing for real

if some people trying to start a brand could be for some free advertise - but that's my cynical side speaking

so stoke. i'll go with stoke share

8. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    S.I. could send me a free t-shirt, I certainly wouldn't mind that....haha

9. NNYNJ

NNYNJ Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2017
    I send booze companies dough all the time. And they send me booze... We usually make the exchange at a liquor store.

10. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    49 yo, hack surfer, hard worker, family man with bills and mortgage.wishes to live the life of a bum. Want to sleep late, surf all day and still maintain self respect! Please send donation to this worthy cause at Gofundme/don’t want to work/surf!

TubeDoc, sisurfdogg, hinmo24t and 2 others like this.
  11. red dog

red dog Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    funny

12. be.ach.soon

be.ach.soon Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    A lot of people experience their life in 2018 through a screen. Youtube personalities are closer than actual face to face friends.

Yeah, it's weird and probably trashing our culture and rewiring our heads in unkown ways. I've never sent money to anyone who wasn't giving me something in exchange. Not really in a position to be a philanthropist though.

If I was, I'd probably subsidize some surf bum digital panhandlers on GoFundMe. Good of a cause as any.

13. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    I agree. They are not normal. Sharing stoke and sending random people money are two very diffrent things.

This is just speculation. But i don't think people send money or gifts to ben.... for ben. Or any "youtuber". I'm pretty sure they do it for themselves. Think about it. They send in some gift then get a shout out and thanks in a video. It's there 5 seconds of fame. I don't do any social media at all, but i get that look at me vibe from it. Same concept i believe applies here

JayD, Mr.Belmar and be.at.soon like this.
  14. LongIslandBro

LongIslandBro Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Totally feelin ya Dog!

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I think people give because it makes them feel good. I know that's the way it is for me. So... in a sense... it's kind of a selfish act. I donate my time, energy and money (more the former than the latter) to things I think are important, and when I do it, it makes me fell good for having done it. Seeing people appreciate what I have to offer make me happy... so it keeps the cycle going.

JayD and be.at.soon like this.
  16. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Whoa... BassMon2 and I just split the peak!

metard likes this.
  17. smitty517

Oct 30, 2008
    Good point

18. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Ben is really good about interacting with the people that watch his vlog. Make a comment and he will respond, most of the time it's nothing more than a HAHA, or stoked! But at least it's something. It may not be healthy but people are like, hey that's cool he answered me, maybe I'll send something and he will thank me on the vlog, that's the next level of interaction. In the old days people on tv were considered stars, nowadays anyone can be a "star" so it's a novelty to interact directly with them.

Sending money, or stuff does seem strange unless it's to promote your product. At that point it's just another promotional tool and it makes sense to me. I watch Ben because I'm from NJ, he spends time at spots I used to frequent and I can recognize landmarks as he's driving around. He seems genuine to me but sending money? No way.

your pier likes this.
  19. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Your issue is trying to understand things that happen on the internet.

your pier and smitty517 like this.
  20. be.ach.soon

be.ach.soon Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Maybe its cause you call him things like retard and fat slob.