Hey sarasota/lee county people

Discussion in 'West Florida' started by ihatelongboarders, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    what spots can hold swell larger than head/o-head? i'm new down here and i'm trying to figure out where to look at next week if that groundswell fills in.

2. fltraveler

fltraveler Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    if a solid groundswell does reach the gulf from the south there are plenty of beaches that can hold overhead surf. the gulf has a lot more nooks and crannies than the east coast that favor long period energy. best bet is to look for a spot north of charlotte harbor up to bradenton. i am sure you will be able to find something. google earth.

3. pjc5150

pjc5150 Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008

There are lots of great spots in your area. But since you hate longboarders, and I'm a longboarder, figure it our yourself! :p

4. surfdogandhisbeach

surfdogandhisbeach Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Patagonia holds a nice OH swell:cool:

5. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    i just hate monmouth county longboarders. people down here are pretty mellow.

it looks like i'm gonna be up in venice tuesday when it looks like it's gonna be good so i'm gonna hit up casey key. haven't had a session there yet. i've had a couple of fun sessions on manasota key lately.

6. RobbWillow

RobbWillow Guest

I need some 420 friendly friends, Fl is cool, could be better if i knew the right peeps, yea that swell should be fun, imma hit up AMI it should be goin off

7. Corrinski

Corrinski New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    in need of surf buddies

hey im a cape chick just beginning surfing...dont have anyone to go out here with and surf my longboard with and tuesday looks good hit me up! im in venice area

8. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    in bradenton

im in bradenton and havent been down to the jettys yet as i hear they get real busy and probrally not the best place for a beginner. ive been going to couqina beach to learn. lots of space there and not alot of people even on a busy day. ill be there on tuesday. last time the waves were good there were about 10 long boarders out in a 500 yd span. it was really inviting. if yor looking for "the scene" the jettys are where to go if your looking to learn theres lots of space and steer clear of the jettys

9. johnnytoobad

Oct 26, 2009
    bradenton right

oh yeah im dewfinitely friendly with all that numerical code talk jazz. i gotta take my baby and wife to the airport tues morning in tampa and then ill be back down if ya wanna cough.......... i mean surf!

10. fltraveler

fltraveler Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    well if you really hate longboarders your gonna hate surfing the jetties. everyone who really surfs there knows each other and any outsiders are quickly identified. it gets agro when the swell is good, cause it only happens once a year if that. plenty of other places are gonna be good also so you might as well find your own little nook especially if you are a beginner. a lot of people have put in a lot of time surfing out there so they can score once in a while so if you arent one of those people then stay away!!!

11. RobbWillow

RobbWillow Guest

Well yes if u are an outsider u r quickly identified, but no worries, lol....not really i mean its gets so bad there at the jettys that the swell sumtimes wont even hold there, as for venice, Funk venice it suck, it u r a real local you know where to go, and if you actually know how to surf u are welcomed with open arms, but u ding my board or any of my boy's boards, prepare for a scene outta point break, no lie, we dont play here, for i am the ANGRY HIPPY, and yes i'll PM u my # dude and we will chill....WELCOME TO THE THUNDERDOME *****ES, NOW GET READY TO DIE!!!!!!...........Willow, The Angry Hippy

12. ihatelongboarders

Dec 13, 2007
    wow localism down here is pretty weak. i'm not a beginer by any means. i've been sponging for 15 years all over the east and west coast of the US.

i'm going to avoid the jetty as it seems like there are far more kooks and donkeys on planks then anything i'd like to get down with.

420 kids whats good. any of you sponge? seems like bodyboarders are an endangered species on the suncoast.

13. Corrinski

Corrinski New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    any youths out there?

I am staying in Venice for a few months looking to go out longboarding with someone.. have family here but no one my age 22 surf lessons available?

14. johnnytoobad

Oct 26, 2009
    surf buddies

i tried finding a surfing buddy online and came up with shi@! so i went to the beach looking for waves and met surfing buddies. theres lot of nice people (old and young) down at coqina beach, the sucky people stay close to shore and get murdered by whitewater (thats me) and hoot and hollar and the more experienced are out past the pier murdering each others boards. its very fun and u can contact the USF surf club in tampa they come down this way. their like surfers with pocket protectors. very cool......just go to the beach and talk to whoever u like.....free country......and im avaiable for instruction, 20$ 1/2 hr....

15. NoVibes...Stoke Promote

NoVibes...Stoke Promote Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    I'm pretty sure Coquina is pretty much against surfing, surfboards, thoughts of surfing, and fun. The lifeguards go absolutely crazy if a surfer puts a leg south of 3pier's Southern pier boundary... Seriously, there was an ATV zoomin to get me within 1 minute of paddling around! So where exactly are you surfing? Or do you only go when the lifeguards/surf nazis are gone?

Anyways...I think CB is more suited for Easter celebrations/rival gang shootouts...
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/florida/news-article.aspx?storyid=79644
    Should have great turnout this 2010 and it'll be here before you know it, so start gettin ready now! I know my tech9 and bandanna are! Brunch at 10am, easter egg hunt 11(bring da kids!)...Shootin' starts at high noon!

16. NoVibes...Stoke Promote

NoVibes...Stoke Promote Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Really? I hope you're not serious... you'll make wayy more "surf buddies" by helping someone out of the appreciation of the sport. Instructions and advice can be just enough to spark a person's interest in something that they could enjoy and pursue for the rest of their lives and I'd thank every single person that ever helped along da way. Any form of encouragement, advice on ridin, where to go, when to go, every hoot, smile all contributed to my current enjoyment and desire to surf. All noob haters, localismists, and hotshot egotists even fueled my desire to surf better and show all of em you can do it w/out being a D**k. Some people aren't in the position to even rent a board, yet alone pay for advice and 30 minutes is about enough time for a beginner to set a 1/2hr goal only to fail and have wasted $20.00. My advice; don't charge. You will make a lot of new friends while still getting to surf. You can't ride all your boards at once anyways.

17. johnnytoobad

Oct 26, 2009
    nah just kidding

I was making a sort of joke. I cant really surf thats why its funny to me. that i would be an instructor? Ive goten so much advice from kids down at coquina. ive talked with lots of people, some you get the feeling they are thinkin "get the F@ck outta here" and you move on, and lo and behold there is a crew of kids all tooo eager to give advice, really it is a good thing. Im not in to drama or the whole surf scene and old skoolers. I skateboarded and snowboarded for over 20 yrs, and I was mean growing up and feel bad now......I know how it is to feel your sport is getting invaded by weekend warriors.
    I have still yet to see a life guard at coquina but i believe they are out there... ill be in the water at coquina meeting people and trying to surf. i gots the fish board.

18. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.