Hip-Hop & Surfing

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by TheWocal, Jul 14, 2013.

1. TheWocal

TheWocal Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Very uncommon to be see hip-hop in a surf film... How come? I'm sure a lot of you guys aren't a fan of hip-hop but I don't mind it and I think it would be sick to see it put in some more surf films. Just my $0.02... What do you guys think

2. natkitchen

natkitchen Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    If you watch some of the videos on this site there are quite a few done to hip hop.

3. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    hasn't hip hop taken over everything else. When are people going to realize for the most part, it blows?!

4. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    ding ding ding. we have a winner!

5. Hash Slinging Slasher

Hash Slinging Slasher Active Member

May 8, 2013
    I like some hip-hop. The kind that actually includes lyrical wit, skills, etc. But I dunno, surfing and hip-hop just seem weird together. No idea why but it just doesn't seem to work in my opinion. I'd rather hear some sweet garage rock tunes or something like that instead.

6. Paddington Jetty Bear

Paddington Jetty Bear Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Yo Pump and Koki you dawgs are trippin

Rap is the most talented genre in music history. Kanye West is a musical genius, He says so, himself.

Dudes, it is so advanced that you don't need to play instruments; don't need any knowledge of music theory; don't need to be able to sing; don't need no melody; and in today's rap offerings, you don't need any basic amount of cleverness with words, don't need no flow, and don't need any talent whatsoever.

Forget fretting chords, just push a few buttons on a computer for your music. Then dig out that 3rd grade poetry project you had, make sure the end of each line is a simplistic rhyme, act like you used to sell drugs on the streets, mention that you might be affiliated with the Bloods, and collect the money.

Oh say, the word "Ni$$a" a lot, even if you are a punk Canadian who played a paralyzed dude in Degrassi The Next Generation who now plays tough guy rap dude. Oh yeah, repeat words alot ...over and over again, it fills space and keeps you from having to come up with another word that rhymes with "block." You've already used "sock," "cock," and "rock." This stuff get tough, dawgs.

7. capecodcdog

capecodcdog Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Bullseye PJB. Take a bow! & ditto koki.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  8. koalakiller7

koalakiller7 New Member

May 24, 2011
  9. robber

robber Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Kanye's a **** but he's dope as a musician and a lyricist (idk about Yeezus though). He, and many other hip hop artists do a lot a of really amazing things with words and music. Plus, you gotta remember that a ton of amazing musicians aren't trained in music theory. Rap and hip hop have taken a lot of elements from jazz and blues over the years as well.

It's really a genre that's growing and improving quickly. You should check it out Kendrick, Chance the Rapper, Frank Ocean. People are doing cool ****, man. And maybe even try to go into listening to it without your preconceived (and uninformed) notions.

10. PapaD

PapaD Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Okay rap is not hip hop...hate it all you want its a legitimate art form when its done right, just like every genre of music. There's crap everywhere. I find myself listening to hip hop most the time I'm on my way to the beach, take it or leave it.

11. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    For the guys who don't listen to hip-hop, there's a whole new world of women and partying you're missing out on. Got to give it a chance.

I like it all: hip-hop, country, punk, EDM, Indy. It's all good and you can surf and party and push your whip through any hood to just about any beats. I get sick of things if I stay one-dimensional for too long.

Bruddahs gotta give hip-hop a chance! B.I.G. all the way.

12. intheeye

intheeye Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2009
    nothing says 'surfing' more than true surf instrumentals, i'll take 'pipeline' any day, if not the original then at least something in the style of agent orange

13. BonerSurfs

BonerSurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Wow now, I take offense to this. I've been making music on a computer for years, and I can assure you it is not that simple. I play drums and I play keys (poorly), but saying that "all you have to do is push a button on your computer" is a gross over simplification.

When I make music, I'll take dozens of samples from old funk, soul, jazz records. Infuse them with a mixture of drums from breakbeats and drum machines, and lots of funky glitchy synths. Its a hip hop of sorts.

I'm sorry, but it is just a topic that caught my eye, because its a stereo type that is just soooo wrong. Making music on a computer with synths, computer programs, ect is deep as ****. Infinetly more in depth that say a guitar or a piano. Just had to get that off my chest.

Now, I will say that Kanye's music is garbage. What you should have said is "take a sample, pitch it up 5 semitones and loop it, and add some whack drums". Because that is what Kanye does.

14. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    but you actually play instruments. i don't listen to hip-hop but i can respect people like andre 3000 who are actually skilled at what they do. **** like the stanky leg is just plain dumb

15. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hells yeah, all the Agent Orange **** Dale covers are sick. As far as rap or hip hop, not sure I know the difference anymore, garbage...ego driven materialistic tough guy bullsquat that I just cant relate too. If I cant relate I just cant get into it anymore. I could get doen w/ some old Tribe Called Quest, maybe even some Wu Tang. But this stuff nowadays is pure $hit IMO. I wanna fight Kanye and Little Wayne so bad, not sure why, they both annoy the absolute $hit outta me.

16. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    aside from being sucky music, surfing has nothing to do with urban culture where hip hop/rap orginated.

17. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I listen to most types of music, except country. Not all hip hop is good, just like not all rock is good. There are good and bad in every genre. If the song fits the video then I say why not.

18. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013

Ab-so-lute-ly

I like some Tribe Called Quest - "Electric Relaxation," "Midnight" kind of trippy jazz influenced "jams"......."Scenario" had the energy and was interesting. But that Q Tip dude had a way with words.......These new guys would get a "C" in a 3rd grade poetry contest. And their "beats" are so simplistic and completely uninteresting.

Sure man, back in the day when I was rolling over the Betsy Ross Bridge headed to Kensington, I could dig some Straight outta Compton..........

I like some rap, but I always consider it novelty music.

Taking samples and having a computer generate your beats is like being an editor not an artist. You aren't creating anything original just bastardizing something that already exists.

Man, Seldom you are my Ni@@a. I only fantasize aboot harming those in positions of power and money, but I want to destroy Kanye West. I try not to hate. I know people throw the word, "Hate" around without really meaning it. Hate is a strong word. But, I HATE Kanye West. Oh, and I would definately attack Justin Beiber if given the chance. Jeez, another Canadian kid speaking like an American ghetto thug. That kid needs a beating for his own good.

WHAT in the hell is wrong with this society/world where these clowns are the kings of pop culture? What is wrong with you people. Man, grab a bottle, lock yourself in a lonely room, and listen to some early Black Sabbath for God's sakes. Get some taste, mans.

19. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Hahaha Word Life my nizzle!

20. Paddington Jetty Bear

Apr 23, 2013
    Kanye is not a musician. You need to play an instrument to be a musician. Kanye's lyrics and "rhymes" are friggin pathetic. They are so weak. I like when the he exaggerates the end, rhyming word of a line. That's killer. I have no idea why the dude is critically acclaimed. I guess because music and pop culture is in such sad state that people have to hype something. Music sucks. Movies suck. Everything sucks.

I don't watch movies anymore until they come on basic cable. What's the point. But I did rent that TED thang a few months ago. Heard it was good. That was THE WORST movie I have ever seen. I gave up twenty minutes into the horrible piece of garbage. Ok, a teedy bear comes to life and then it drinks, pulls tubes, and cusses in a Boston accent. Wow, friggin fantastic. Oh that Hangover movie y'all love so much was average. It is in no way the cinematic masterpiece people make it out to be.

Hey Robber, I don't know how young you are, but raps been around well over thirty years, dawg. And the stuff in the 1990's BLOWS today's stuff away. So actually, the genre is regressing. The dude's today have absolutely no talent. None.

And Robber, I'm never uninformed, I know everything except a few things I don't know.