honeymoon.. costa or PR?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by darippah, Dec 4, 2011.

1. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    looking to do a honeymoon in january. The wife doesnt really surf, would give it a go once or twice but I need a place with lots of fun activities. jet skiing, boating, sail boating or something.. things to keep us busy and have a great time... I kinda boiled it down to either Costa or PR because of the cost and ease of access, feel free to suggest other spots but these two seem like the best option. i've been to both but have no clue about other activities besides surfing... which do you guys recommend and why?

darippah

2. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I'll be in the same boat as you soon. Definitely leaning toward Costa.

3. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Costa Rica is not only your surfing paradise, it's the perfect honeymoon trip as well. My wife and I got married on the Pacific Coast three years ago. There are many "couple" things you guys can do together...massages, nature hikes, hot springs, horseback riding, plus more. We travel to CR twice a year and never run out of things to do...oh yea don't forget, there's surf. SShhhhhhh it's a secret!

Here is where we stayed on our honeymoon...Xandaria located in Playa Esterillios... Phat ass place you and the wife will love...check it out!

Pura Vida

4. Jon Berg

Jon Berg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Pr

PR for the honeymoon. There's more to do for your future wife. There are good waves for you and is better shopping for her. Oh and no legal hookers in PR... Most wives aren't into the hooker thing.

5. imperial

imperial Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Here's the webiste for Xandari. You want the one in Playa Esterellios. It's right on the beach...the other one is located in San Jose.

http://www.xandari.com/

6. darippah

May 27, 2008
    wow sweet! what'd you pay? looks real expensive at about $300/night I'd be staying there for about a week

7. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Definitely Costa Rica... More consistent waves, and so much site seeing to do.
    My brother did his honeymoon there and they loved it. The did a week tour around the country where they traveled around the country and stayed in different places. He was able to get some surf in and keep the wife plenty happy!

8. darippah

May 27, 2008
    thanks guys.. just booked the flight to costa. Xandari seems real expensive, i'd like to spend about $1500 for a week.. any ideas? I'm landing in Liberia and i'd like to stay in that area... also any more ideas on fun activities would be amaaazing

9. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Avellanas, Negra, Grande....I hope wifey likes watching you surf!! lol

10. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Here are places to stay in Costa Rica

I stayed in this hotel a long time ago, which isn't on the list, but is definitely really nice:
    http://www.tamarindodiria.com/

Its super nice, right on the beach in Tamorindo. There is surf out front, but note the greatest quality wave right there, allthough its fun.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  11. TDTubes

TDTubes Well-Known Member

May 30, 2007
    Agree with swellinfo, the daria is real nice for in Tamarindo, but I would only stay there a couple of nights then go somewhere else. I stayed at a place in Avellanas, but it is kind of boring there if you don't surf, so we had to go elsewhere to keep wifey happy, same deal in Negra.

I would definitely recommend Monteverde and do the skyline tour. It should especially be cool in January, no rain but cool weather. You can see the Pacific from up there on a clear day.

Rent a car and drive around. Explore the beaches around Tamarindo during the day and then go to Monteverde or another beach. Quepos/Manuel Antonio possibly.

12. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Totally agree with Tommy. Go explore around, don't just stay in Tamarindo.
    There are so many awesome things to see in Costa Rica.
    Like I mentioned in the earlier post, my brother and his wife got a package that took them to 3 or 4 awesome places, and both of them really enjoyed it.

13. Fish Face

Fish Face Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Costa Rica

http://surfcosta.com/
    You wont go wrong here, Gleason brothers from east coast got the sickest pad

14. stefan

stefan Member

Dec 12, 2008
    stay in santa teresa. rent a quad and cruz all around. the food is good and the people are cool. I stayed at this place with with wife and she had a great time not surfing.
    http://www.disfrutaloresort.com/

15. stuffitlifeguard

stuffitlifeguard New Member

Dec 9, 2011

Hey check out http://www.ranchoarmadillo.com/ .... actually flying in to CR (Liberia) tomorrow and staying a night at Rancho Armadillo before heading off to Santa Teresa for the rest of our stay. In Santa Teresa we're staying at surfvistavillas.com . I'll let you know how it is, but I've heard nothing but good things about both places. Rancho Armadillo is right by Playa Del Coco, which is basically a great jumping off point to boat over to Witches Rock.

If you can definitely try to stay at a couple different places on the peninsula. Tamarindo is super busy/touristy, while Santa Teresa is more desolate and laid back.

As far as activities there's pretty much everything.... zip lining, cave exploring, white water rafting, horse back riding, snorkeling, just keep searching online!

I just finished packing my board bag...soo pysched! Also, good call on picking CR over PR...PR is cool, but CR is way more honeymoon friendly!

Congrats and good luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  16. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Anyone know which place is more or less crowded?

17. pkovo

pkovo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I've been to Costa with my wife a few times, including on our honeymoon, and had a blast every time. Plenty to do other than surfing.

If your considering Tamarindo, maybe check out this place. My wife and I stayed twice and liked it.

http://www.hotelcapitansuizo.com/index.php?english

It's at the South end of Tamarindo and away from the congestion. The beach was always quiet here, and there's someone at the hotel that can setup tours for you.

In Tamarindo we did a 4 wheeler tour down to several surf breaks (Avellanes, Negra etc..) Did a Kayak tour through the estuary, kayaked on our own to a little offshore island, surfed...we always found plenty to do.

The surf in Tamarindo kind of stinks in my opinion. But, when it's waist high in Tamarindo, it can be Head high just a stones throw away in Grande or in spots south.

I probably wouldn't spend the whole time in Tamarindo though. I would head south.

My cousin stayed at this place pretty recently and liked it. Kind of Pricey and secluded if your into that. There is a lesser known break in the area I've surfed that can get good!

http://www.hotelpuntaislita.com/overview

I am partial to Nosara (Playa Guiones) as well, which isn't too far south from Tamarindo. Not really that much to do there, but big beach, consistent surf, and a more secluded beach just North that's a nice place to chill.

18. macedon

macedon Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Check out Sano Banano in Montezuma, we paid a little over a hundred a night for a little bungallo( my wife when she was still my girlfriend), on the beach with thick jungle right behind you, a couple of waterfalls, lots of wildlife. Town is tiny with lots of character, lots of uncrowded breaks if you take the time to look..... You can get a flight to that area from the airport in San Jose and rent a car once in Montezuma to check out other spots. Definitely go explore..... Tamarindo had great waves when I was there but the scenenry reminded me of Cali, I really dug the jungles in Montezuma.

19. cmurr73

cmurr73 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Anyone ever stay at the RIU in Playa Matapalo - Sardina? Do they get waves there?

20. gtowntreyble

gtowntreyble Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2008
    brb, getting married so I can just take a surf trip :)