Huevos Rancheros

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by Zeroevol, Sep 14, 2015.

1. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    interesting rosemary technique...I'm surprised the de-barked stems impart any flavor.

We have a giant (out of control) rosemary bush in the back yard. Whenever I oven-roast potatoes (or salmon, etc), I always lay a few rosemary stalks (leaves attached) on top, then discard them after potatoes are cooked. This perfumes the potatoes perfectly throughout w/out the bitterness of actually eating cooked rosemary.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014

I usually skewer them a hour or so ahead of grill time. leave a few leaves at the top for presentation. lol. Rosemary on the grill always makes my neighbor look over the fence and ask what I'm smoking.

3. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I agree. Late to the party, but those huevos look amazing.

Ribs are pretty easy. Remove silverskin, brine if you like, dry rub, and cook at 225F for 6 hours. Smoking really gives the best results. If you just have a gas grill, obtain indirect heat with a layer of aluminum foil on the bottom rack, then place ribs on the top rack. you can always toss some wood chips on the aluminum foil to get a little smoke. The 3-2-1 method is considered cheating by the old school BBQ guys, but it is fail safe.
    3 - Smoke ribs for 3 hours at 225F
    2 - Wrap ribs in Al foil, add a little juice or cider vinegar, then cook (wrapped) in smoker or oven for 2 hrs at 225F
    1 - Unwrapped and finish ribs on grill or smoker at 225-250F to get a nice glaze.

Rubs can vary, based on your tastes. I like sweet rib rubs. I use mostly brown sugar, a nice dash of salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, and sometimes paprika.

4. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Anybody ever fried ribs? I did once but they came out tough. Taste was okay. Ask a butcher aboot frying ribs and he gave me the "what the fark is wrong with you look". I've had some at asian places that were good.

5. Zeroevol

Zeroevol Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hey, at least you had the guts to try it! I have never had them, but I would try them if I saw them some where

6. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    I think the tissue in ribs makes them only good when cooked slowly. Frying is best with meats that don't require the protein breakdown. If you smoked them for a few hours, then flash fried to crisp them up, I think it would be good. I do my wings like that. Smoke for an hour or two, then flash fry.

7. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    ftw

8. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    no. Only way to make them tender is a "low and slow" grill or braising (simmering in a covered, shallow water pot for a couple hrs). That's the only way to break down all that connective tissue and veins so they're tender and delectable...ribs have a lot of veins (gross, but true).

Braising is also the trick to cooking the cheapest cuts of beef. Buy the cheapest (usually funkiest looking) pot roast you can find. Season, sear and braise for a couple hrs (depending on the size)...only way to make beef affordable these days.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I did a similar track LB. Good for you. I have always cherished putting myself through and the restaurant business made it happen....plenty of cash and flexible hours for classes/surf.