i am sick of watching airs

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by njsurfer42, Jul 19, 2011.

1. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i find it really fascinating that so many people's response to things like this are to imply that the fault is not w/ the thing, but w/ the person who points out the fault. (ie: "you don't like seeing airs b/c you can't do one!") i think it reveals something about our society as a whole. b/c it's not just in surfing that this response is evident (ex: "you think the separation of church & state is a good idea! you must hate god!")
    nevermind the fact that so many surf clips & films never or rarely feature a proper turn, or even show the whole wave.
    then again, maybe i'm just getting old. who knows?

2. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Yah I agree. Tired of air shots too. Plus guys that try them usually waist the wave for everyone else who could have used the whole wave. What happened to powerful off the lips and roundhouses, deep tubes. I love doing roundhouses, cutbacks and lips and of course inside the wave. Even Kelly Slater in a recent interview after winning at Huntington said he wont practice them cause of injuries. Just not worth it to him. Of course he can rule just about anywhere. I've caught airs because the wave let me and its fun as hell.. but... 360s are cool! switch stance.....

3. Aguaholic

Aguaholic Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Actually, It's just your opinion. And, that's all...I just don't agree with it. Everyone has there own opinions and that's cool.

I don't like longboarders that cherry pick waves all day....but, I'm not starting a thread and ranting about it.

See my point?

4. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    it is my opinion & i have the right to state it. that's something i chose to do...about 5 months ago.

maybe i'm being slow here, but i don't see a connection between longboarders who "cherry pick waves all day" & being tired of watching air after air after air after air after air after air in every single video & video clip that's put out. but there's that pesky opinion thing again...

5. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    I guess you are slow then, The connection means.....even tho I can't stand Longboarders who cherry pick waves all day....... I don't come on here a cry like a little girl about it. Grow up man.

There i said it. It my opinion...that's something i chose to say.....now do you see how childish this is?

this thread sucks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  6. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Watching airs on video is basically watching skateboarders doing tricks on the water. its their thing and thats cool. Its only one part of the whole surf picture. Its good to mix it up though. Even having more girl surfer clips would be worth it. As far as longboard cherry picking....(love that term) I agree they dont know how to take turns and its annoying. I ride long and short and understand the selfishness of it. We all rule of course!

7. Aguaholic

Oct 26, 2007
    Yeah, I agree. I mean I like to see smooth fluid turns as well as reverses, tail wafts, airs....ect. A mixture of everything is needed to satisfy my watching. I don't want you to get the wrong idea here. I never said longboarders can't turn properly. I know some that can snap turn. I just don't like the one's that cherry pick. Like you said it's selfish. And, someone like that I will burn over and over with no regrets.

8. Glide

Glide Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Like music

I have always thought of surfing and playing music as similar. I’ve been doing both for over 50 years. There is no pure form. One can keep going back in time to the roots and copying the way it was done but there will always be those that venture into new territory. If Bach would have had an electric guitar he would have composed electric guitar music. It’s not possible to hang ten on a modern, pop, surfboard, which is really marketed to kids. Remember “tricks are for kids”. Just like music a surfer should go for what ever turns him or her on. Try it all! And, so it seems, that as one gets older one tends towards the roots, the basics, smoother, mellower, more relaxed, working with the melody, working with the wave. Blending the phrases, the moves, the airs. Tricks are for kids.
    Glide

9. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Im not going to read all 13 pages of this thread, but in real life, face to face with all the surfers I surf with and am friends with (and i surf with these guys, they know what I do, and they know what they do)... Everyone that I know that makes the argument of being "bored with airs", simple cannot do them.. skate board trickory? Nah, try the hardest move in surfing really. And the bottom line is, Barrels are hard to come by. A lot of conditions have to come into play. The surf has to be good. Airs can be thrown on waist high mush balls or in pumping, draining surf... I am a huge fan of airs. I spent years developing them, and there are no accidental airs. Every one takes extreme focus and skill. It doesnt just happen.... So while the guys I was recently debating this with are a little older. One has bad knees, the other is a larger dude, but surfs really well, but the common denominator in their argument was that they couldnt do one. So by the end of the conversation, they ended up on my side.

Not that everyone who dislikes airs cant do them, but that is the truth for the most part...

You know what I am sick of seeing? Giant, machine like tubes... that guys just pull into, choose their line, throw their hands up and get spit out... Yeah, you got balls for surfing a big wave, but when you are at a machine like point or reef, and you can make the drop, you want credit? You can hack the top off a perfectly shaped, skate ramp like face or lip? So what, so can everyone.... Im not about throwing airs the second you take off on a wave, but when that close out section approaches, you can be passive and hack the lip of the section, maybe rotate your tail through the turn, or you can "go for the 2 point conversion to win the game" and huck one off that last section... You gotta take a risk for a reward... so while pumping into an air section right off the bat may be lame, for the most part, there are sections that airs should be your main #1 option, and its usually out there for the taken on most surfable days... so man up and go for it... why not? Until you are old, out of shape and over weight, you should strive to do airs... its more rewarding to me than any barrel ive ever gotten....

thats my personal opinion, but everyone can feel how they want... i just think guys bored of airs cant do em...

and guys like me who are bored with tropical, DOH perfect barrels on reefs and points are boring, simply cant afford to travel around and surf them... otherwise, I would be like "MAN, **** some airs... lets eat lunch in a perfect left hand shack!!!!

10. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    and please dont mus-interperet my comments and think I am saying, If you can't do an air, stop hating, or that your opinion doesnt matter. I am just asking you all not to let either of those factors affect your objective outlook.

Im a 5'9 white guy. I cant dunk a basketball. Most guys on sportcenter would never give my opinion credibility, because "Ive never played pro basketball, or I cant dunk"...

Neither of those factors lead me to my decision to hate Lebron James... I think he is an overrated, under clutch NBA player. I love many other players, from Jordan to Dwight howard... Again, cause im a 5'9 white guy doesnt mean I cant have an opinion, because Lebron would beat me one on one... OF course he would... But I can still say I dont like the way he carries himself on the ball court...

Everyones opinions is credible... Im just saying, dont hate on change or what is really top quality performance, for your own personal issues. I love the NFL, and the ravens. Ive got opinions for days. Credible ones... Cause im not a pro WR, doesnt mean I dont have some valuable input. feel me?

11. wcec

wcec Member

Nov 15, 2009