I know this isn't craigslist....

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by nj1993, Oct 7, 2014.

1. nj1993

nj1993 Active Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Anyone in NJ preferably near Monmouth County, know of someone who is hiring, or is hiring. I am a 21 year old with a lot of random experience in many fields as well as a great work ethic. <br /><br />After spending the past three weeks trying to find a job I have come up short and figured as annoying as this post might be it will just filter out if no one can help. <br /><br />More details about myself: I am going to community college, I am extremely intelligent and wish I would have went the 4 year college route but due to a lack of maturity I did not and am now stuck in this position. I have experience in construction, specifically demolition as well some electrical experience. Besides that I have worked as a waiter, a lifeguard, a deli counter person and other part time odd jobs. <br /><br />I am a great worker and super responsible but am also so determined to catch up to my peers that went to college that I have a whole new fire inside of me to succeed. Any help or responses are really appreciated. Thanks!

2. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    You will find something.....good luck bud

3. surfsolo

surfsolo Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Goto school or start a business.

4. David

David Well-Known Member

May 24, 2006
    Any breweries up your way hiring? Sounds like with your skill set, you could work a tap room, and help around production as you learn the ropes. Pay is minimal but you gotta start somewhere. Good luck.

5. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Get a trade. I'd recommend refrigeration. Fug A/C. Every doofus with a set of gauges does it. Also learn cooking equipment. Restaurants will go without A/C and refrig but have to cook to make $$. Come down her and I'll put you to work. My last "apprentice" was the wife's nieces baby daddy. Bunch of tweekers. He had a relapse and ran away after I scolded him for not knowing his left from right.

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Damn, though this was another missed connection.

7. titsandpits

titsandpits Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    berch still hasn't emailed me

8. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
  9. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    You gotta go looking for her at this point then if you can't get her out your mind. Either that or find a comparable product on the market. It's cuffing season bro. Like the stock market debuting an IPO. They want a piece of you.

10. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    if ur going to college,either stick with it and avoid construction jobs.those are jobs for people like me with no education,it may look cool,but it really sucks and ur back hurts everyday.i live it.electrician is good,just have to learn a lot,try to become an apprentice,or even if u can find a good contractor around that will let u watch him work will be good.

lifeguard,counter boy,waiter,do not put that on ur resume.best thing I learned about jobs is the most important thing is to show up everyday and don't be late.even if u suck at the job,like u cant wire a bus bar or something,them seeing u coming in on time everyday and willing to learn,taking notes,goes a long way.

when I started my last job,i absolutely sucked at it.now im one of the top people,who if I left,the place would come crashing down until they find a new person lol,which isn't hard.consistency is key with everything,u know what I do on my freetime,I google search blueprints for bridges,pressure vessels,heat exchangers etc.i try to find the hardest print to read and il study it for aslong as it takes til I know where every piece goes and how its assembled.the thing u have against u in the construction trade is ur age.most places want someone with atleast 10yrs of experience,but if nobody gives u a chance how are u gonna get experience?u can get a job as an electrician helper,stripping wire,running wire through columns,etc.

11. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Not my cup of tea, but a pretty cake job (you would have to start as an assistant) but is in the big rental management or resort companies. Big apartment complexes with 500+ units. Same with hotels. You basically do maintenance for residents and when people move in and out, you have to go in a touch the place up and do remodels if its time.... Money is good. Lil brother in law is doing that in Baltimore. They started him at like $18 an hour and he clock a lot of OT on weekends. Not bad if you are a young kind coming up.... With your background, you could do it....

That said, lil bro in law has told me some HORROR stories about coming in to clean out apartments that people kick booted from. And in east Baltimore, you wouldn't believe how some people live. If sh** is super gnarly, he said he won't go in until basically a Hazmat team sweeps the place....

Anyway, there is decent money in it. I know i didn't make that sound epic, but it translates into a lot of fields. Later on, if you can get into a maintenance management job for Hyatt or Marriot etc... They pay ridiculous salaries and the benefits are just stupid. And its cake. All I ever see the upper level guys doing is on a walkie talkie telling some lacky to get down there and fix something.

12. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Ohh, and if you get in with the Marriots of the world, you can put in for ridiculous locations. Friend of mine works for them. Spent a year in Italy. A year in Athens. 2 years in PR, 6 months in Hawaii. I mean, what is in every surf destination? Resorts.....

13. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I hear the J Spa is hiring helping hands

14. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Healthcare my friend... I know it doesn't sound masculine but what about nursing school? Can you handle a little gore?

15. Amanzi

Amanzi Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Dude, honestly if school ain't for you, find a paint company and learn the ropes. I've been painting 18 yrs. now own my own business, make my own hours and it's a struggle but I wouldn't trade it for sitting behind a desk any day. Learn to spray as soon as possible.

16. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I did this for years before tapping out and getting into my current career. Worked with several property management companies in SD, even got my RE license and became a Certified Property Manager.

It had it's good days. Had a lot of properties by the beach, and I drove around in my personal vehicle ('64 VW Van) with my board and my tools. Didn't punch a clock. Made decent money, enough to pay the bills and have a little disposable income. Surfed when it was good, carried a beeper lol. I really enjoyed the freedom.

The higher-end properties were a pleasure to work on, for the most part. The lower-end stuff (El Cajon, East SD, and a couple of downtown bldg.'s) could be a friggin nightmare. As if the structural issues weren't bad enough, the tenants were the Scum of the Earth. Fleas, roaches, bums, feces, urine. Got hit on a lot at the Hillcrest properties...not good.

And then there were the properties where the evicted tenants had been cooking meth in the tub. Yikes.

17. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Buy this:
    [​IMG]

Make copies of this and hang on neighborhood doors:
    [​IMG]

Paint these then collect the $.

[​IMG]

If you get 20% participation in a 200 house neighborhood you're walking with $800 minus supplies.

Go check waves. Surf. Wash, rinse, repeat. Congrats, you now have your own business.

P.S. sorry about the huge pics. gave up searching for smaller examples.

18. goosemagoo

goosemagoo Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
  19. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
  20. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Is this perfectly legal? Fantastic idea.