I Surf Because...

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i surf because it makes me look like less of a redneck, so all the women and dudes look at me on the beach. so i can mean mug tourist and threatin them with violence when they get in my way. i also havnt gotten any tribal tats yet but im working on it. so i can praise jesus and convert people. so when i bench 500 at the gym i can tell everyone every time i pop up on a wave it causes a tidal wave on shore.... no but honestly i love it and it detaches me from the world when its going off. wbu youse guyz.

2. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    i surf because I dropped out of highschool and this was the only job I could find:cool:

3. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    it's the best feeling in the world, mind, body and soul

4. misfit27

misfit27 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2013
    I surf because it's nature's ADHD cure. Thanks for the Fox News link above, I learned that since Obama took office, the waves are choppier, there are more close outs, and the swell height has dropped an average of 3 feet. Also, because of the Affordable Care Act, unemployed nurse sharks have been forced to grow teeth and eat people.

5. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    I love to surfing cause im good at shotting piers on 23 footers.

6. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    brah i hope its belmar pier and 23 feet when your doing it, if not your doing it wrong.

7. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ^^^ +1....hahaha....I don't do this often, but here it goes.

#belmarpierrocks

8. thetoeguy2000

thetoeguy2000 Active Member

Dec 1, 2010
  9. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    For me, it changed over time... at first it was because I had really bad allergies as a kid, and it was the only time I felt normal in the summer. Then I noticed that all the cute girls loved surfers... big bonus for me. Then, once I started getting good, it became my obsession and life's pursuit... pushing myself to my physical limit, which I feel I never really found. This is when I hit my peak, and consumed and dominated everything I did... every thought, deed, and dollar. Then it became my escape from all the badness in my life... an "asprin" of sorts. Now it just gives me peace.

10. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I surf because I like to surf

11. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    It is the fountain of youth. And the beauty of mother ocean, and all the cool things you see out there. Plus the feeling...it's like flying when you're zipping past people and rocks and over reef and past jetties, and you know if you eat it, it will hurt, but you somehow pull it off, like Slater at Backdoor (in your mind), and the crowd goes nuts! And the feeling you get as you exit the ocean after a session, like being reborn. Other that that, surfing has ruined my life.

12. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    i surf because you look really cool driving around with boards on top of your car.

13. beachkat

beachkat Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Because it keeps me sane..and I need to be in

14. Radderbsurfin

Radderbsurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I surf cause I like pulling wax out of my chest/belly hair.

15. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I surf to stop the voices in my head.

16. BassMon

BassMon Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    I could go on for days about why I surf but instead I'll just put it like this. If I lost everything, money, family, friends, whatever anything. As long as I could still surf I would be ok. I'd still have something to live for.

17. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Anytime I can get out on the water makes the entire day special.

18. viajerodevida

viajerodevida Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2012
    I surf because...

I like the ffffpppppptt sound of the spray falling behind a wave. I like the view of the calm water surface from below as I come up from a duck dive. The feeling of raindrops on the soles of my feet. The muted sound of a snowfall. The long walk back from the places my friends won't go. The color and glow of the wave face as the sun shines through.

I like the the momentary lapse of reason during a ride when I don't think about anything. I like the sunrises. The sunsets. The glide and slide. The girls in bikinis. I like the idea that I'm harnessing energy that has traveled thousands of miles. The little inputs to trim a longboard on a long wall. The sway of sea grass and jetties. The feeling of being horizontal, punching through the back of the wave but feeling my feet still planted firmly on the board.

I like watching raindrops bounce up into the air during a downpour. Seeing someone else get a nugget. The feeling of the g-force of a steep bottom turn. The weightlessness of a re-entry. Diving deep under a breaking wave only to find calmness and peace. And sitting for hours in the parking lot bullshatting about nothing.

I like the pelicans, seals, bunker, dolphins, and tiny jellyfish that get stuck between my fingers as I paddle. Most of all it feels good and makes me a better person. And of course, I like the view from the occasional private little coverup and the opening at the end which leads to more waves.

What bums me out is that I get blank stares when I explain these things to friends and coworkers who don't surf. So the only answer is to surf more to feel better about that. It works.

19. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Best medicine in the world. Keeps me happy and healthy whenever I have any pain. Whether its anger, frustration, or sadness, I can usually get right after 2 hours in the water. Only a few times have I thought of Iraq in the water, and that's because I brought it in. Some mornings its tough to shake the images of nightmares. But most of the time, surfing keeps me straight.