Igor...

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by DaMook, Sep 21, 2010.

1. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    second that, brother... That A frame could be in a nuclear cooling water tank and I would still charge it

2. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    I thought igor was way better than Danielle...and about even with earl. maybe i was just at the perfect spot. wish i had some pictures..

3. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    lookin pretty brown to me...

s wind swell coming from a big rain storm the night before.. waht do you expect?

4. stoneybaloney

stoneybaloney Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I just got out after 3 hours. Hopefully I don't end up with the f*cking swine flu again. :rolleyes:

5. johnxyz

johnxyz Active Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Hi SB,

I too live in Ocean and my homebreak is LA. Have you gotten sick at LA or Deal/AH/Asbury? Is it the pipe that runs under the jetty emptying from Deal Lake - can that be the source? Or is it coming from NY/shipping lanes? Any agreement or confirmation on the source. Is the water quality effected after rain similar to LA and San Diego. I see that Surfrider is attempting to compile data on water quality and surfer's health/sickness occurances. Scary stuff - thanks for any info. (Hate naming my spot).

6. johhnyutah

johhnyutah Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    That's most likely sewage. During heavy rains many sewage collection systems get overwhelmed by rain and wind up dumping raw sewage into our local waters. Human poo will make you sick brother. Keep an eye on it and go to your doctor if you don't get better.

7. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    Hey, you're not really naming your spot so I wouldn't worry. I have surfed every beach you mentioned, plus Bradley and OG. I've only gotten sick from Deal and AH (which coincidently border each other). It definitely seems to be affected by run-off after we have storms. Even today though, after it hasn't rained in days, the water in that same area smelled weird. I really hope Surfrider does something with their data. I've reported the spot / town every time I've gotten sick.

8. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    runoff is runoff and there is nothing going to change w/ that...

you surfed 3 hrs today? it's lookin pretty small, no?

9. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I have to agree, Friday morning was the best session ive had in awhile.

10. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    It was waist-high where I was until about 1pm. Some spots sucked and some spots were working. Luckily all the report sites under-forecast it, so I had the whole break to myself! :D

11. rgnsup

rgnsup Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2008
    And I had that for 3 hours to my self. No one in sight.

12. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Oh, I have no illusions, I've been surfing in these **** waters for about 25 years, on Friday I looked at the incoming tide, the water color and the smell, said, yep I'm prolly gonna get sick, and went in and surfed for 3 hours anyway. I came home and did the neti pot, flushed the rubbing the alchohol into my ears and gargled with peroxide then scope, and yet was a wreck by the next morning. It happens. I doubt it was sewage plant overflow, didn't rain that hard. Probably just 6-8 weeks worth of Asbury Pk homeless bums, dogs & Canada Geese urine and feces being flushed out of the storm drains into the lineup

13. stoneybaloney

May 11, 2009
    I'm not disagreeing, but wasn't the storm causing everything to drift southward? I know every day I went out during Igor, I was always noticeably drifting south.

14. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    i didn't get sick, but yes it was drifting south for us in the AC area.

15. Koki Barrels

Koki Barrels Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm a little south of you, but I agree, for me it was Sunday...seems like it was the best session I've had in a long time! Still stoked!!!!:D

I feel for you guys getting sick...that's gotta blow...I would be highly agitated if I had to deal with that sh*t at my break.:mad::eek::mad:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  16. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    who surfs near this list? I do :eek:

Fourteen permitted ocean dischargers along the New Jersey shoreline, ranging from Cape May County to Monmouth County, pump our treated wastewater into the Atlantic Ocean. visit the site here. get ya education
    [​IMG]

17. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    yep...a spill of untreated sewage from the asbury park pipe (a mere 1600ft) almost killed me in 2007. i was living in toms river at the time & surfing seaside a lot.
    i now live in ocnj. the acua & oc regional pipes both flow in the direction of my homebreak, thanks to the prevailing currents in the area. & i'm sure raw, untreated waste never gets pumped thru them... :rolleyes:

18. NSsurfer

NSsurfer Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    NS got hit with a world class swell right out of my dreams. I was surfing a left with 5 other guys, peeling for a minute a least, and head high the first day of the swell, by the peak it was pushing double overhead. memorable swell to say the least

19. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    NS? damook needs help

20. NJ SPONGIN

NJ SPONGIN Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    NJ SPONGIN believes its Nova Scotia.....?
    If you can surf there...idk im dumb