is this really hurricane season

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by rustysrfr, Oct 9, 2007.

1. rustysrfr

rustysrfr Well-Known Member

May 29, 2007
    um so is anyone else digusted with the lack of hurricanes this season to produce amazing swell for the midatlantic region. noaa is still predicting above average activity for october, but nothing is in sight. beside a few scattered weeks this fall and summer, the only consistent surfing i can remember is back in the spring. what is up with our weathe!!???

2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Well, were up to "N" now (14 named storms), so the quantity is there, just not anything of any significance for swell production. And, in general, after the middle of October, the chance for tropical develpment declines signficantly (allthough late season storms have been popping up over the last few years).

Despite last weeks swell, its been a very lame start to the fall season compared to most Falls.

3. rustysrfr

May 29, 2007
    i think its also due to the shift in jet stream that has caused this somewhat of a dry spell. even if a storm did head this way i think it would lose power steadily due to lack of moisture.

4. Darealm

Darealm Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Wind Shear

Upper level wind shear has been a big issue this season. Also, scientists have predicted that global warming will bring increased wind shear across the middle Atlantic, which means less storms in the future.

5. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    I've never heard of the correlation between global warming and less hurricanes... Do you have a link or reference to this? Much research indicates an increase in storms due to rise in Sea surface temps.

6. Kinkyreggae41

Kinkyreggae41 Member

Jul 19, 2007
    i just hope this winter is decent cause this fall is serioulsy a big let down

7. Darealm

Darealm Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2007
  8. Eastsurfin

Eastsurfin Member

Jul 21, 2006
    God what I would do to have Springtime back.............Springtime this year was the best I can ever remember while summer is the worst I can ever remember. (i know summer sucks, maybe the right term would be hurricane season). At any rate, springtime kicked ass and hopefully fall will also. We all know that winter will produce so forget the past live for the future!!

9. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Thanks for the article... Thats the first I heard the link of global warming to increased wind shear, and that is definitely a significant factor...

The other thing to take into note when talking about climate change and the link between weather phenomenon, is that we need to think about it on a longer time scale than just one single hurricane season. The last few years have been well above average in quantity and intensity, so just because there haven't been many storms that take that track from the eastern tropics towards the east coast this particular year doesn't indicate much. If we saw this pattern continue for the next decade, then that is obviously much more significant of a pattern.

10. CharlieInOC

CharlieInOC Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Give me a break!!

1st the scientists claimed global warming would cause more storms and that they would become stronger, now they claim that global warming is reducing the storms this year. How many times have we heard claims of hyper active huricane years only to experience little or no activity. If anyone thinks for a moment that these "Experts" have a real clue as to the causes and effects of our ever changing environment you are delusional. We live on a very dynamic planet, 400 million years ago the entire surface of the planet was covered in a 1 mile thick layer of ice at other times it has been at a boil. We humans have been here for not even a blink of the eye in terms of geological time. A billion years from now, we won't even be a memory. ENOUGH ALREADY ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING BEING THE CAUSE OF EVERY PERCEIVED PROBLEM THAT CERTAIN POLITICAL GROUPS CAN DREAM UP TO SUPPORT THEIR AGENDAS.

Face it, it's just been a ****ty fall for surfing around here.:D

11. Shadow Surfer

Shadow Surfer Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2007
    So true...global warming is a very political topic. Regardless....decreased burning of fossil fuels sounds like a great idea...but our actual impact on the global environment...not so sure it's so devastatingly dire.

12. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Well, YES, the climate of our earth changes contstantly over its multi billions years of existence, but global warming doesn't indicate natural change, but rather rapid change caused by humans that started a century ago from the start of the industrial revolution. So to ignore this human impact doesn't make sense.

13. Jrenzi

Jrenzi Member

May 19, 2006

Haha...totally agree with you, Micah!
    Dude...you wouldn't even be able to "feel" the effects of "global warming"..what it's like a 1 degree increase....jeez....it's so blown out of proportion (not to say let's ignore the whole issue) but,...let's just say i'd rather there be a "global warming" than say another ice age. :)

Micah, are doing any traveling this Fall/Winter?
    I'm heading out to SoCal in Nov for the USBA (IB or Rosarita), but may possibly go to HI instead for the first week of November and then make it in time for the USBA Rosarita event (Nov 9-11).

Hope to trade waves with you again in the near future!

14. rustysrfr

May 29, 2007
    but,gobal warming is a natural process of the heating of the earth's atmosphere, this is evident in the increasing co2 levels. however, we need to figure out how much of this increase is due to human impact. The IPCC attributed over 90% of the cause of the increase in co2 level to human impact

15. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    the therm "global warming", by definition in not a natural process. It is the process of human induced climate change, that like you said is largely driven by the increase in co2 levels we humans have put into the atmosphere. The stat you just showed where 90% of the co2 increase is human induced would justify this argument.

I can't recall exactly, but over the past say 100 thousands years, we are in an increasing temperature trend, but most data indicates this has been spiked upward significantly since the industrial revolution (more so, since the mid 1900s).

Just to let you know I received my masters degree in climatology, so I've had many experiences of looking into the research and listening to scientific lectures on the subject.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  16. steelwave42

steelwave42 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2006

17. rustysrfr

May 29, 2007
    i stand corrected. i guess the right term would be climate change, but "anthropogenic global warming" specifically refers to human induced global warming. so what is the correct term exactly? nonetheless, is was just stating that there are natural warming and cooling trends of the earth.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  18. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    absolutely, climate change is natural. Thats what makes the global warming debate difficult.

19. rustysrfr

May 29, 2007
    sweet. thanks for correcting my terminology.

20. Jrenzi

Jrenzi Member

May 19, 2006
    Micah,

Do you remember a few years ago when Brian S. was in Puerto and you were on the phone wih him predicting when/where the swell would be good?

Ha,ha...well, I will quote him as he said that moment: "I don't know where I would be without Micah...lost for sure!"

Stoked, keep spreading the knowledge/wisdom to us all!