January 26th

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by UnfurleD, Jan 18, 2021.

1. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    unlikely. It’s currently low and loose and full of juice

Manik likes this.
  2. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    I can only speak for my local, but the game has been stepped up considerably here. There’s been some swings, some dunking, and cops being called. But it was starting before COVID, but it’s safe to say that Covid has aggravated the situation. I mean, Seattle was Ground Zero and everything was shut down but interlopers were sneaking in during swells. And it was ugly. Visitors walking through a gauntlet of locals hassling the living sh1t out of them.

Of course, I grew up in a place and an era where localism reigned greatest and people got their shite thrown into the water on a regular basis. Check Windansea and Sunset Cliffs during the 70’s and we’ll talk localism lol.

Throw in a healthy dose of spot burning on YouBoob for over 10 years and I see a lot of natives getting restless

3. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    yikes

Manik likes this.
  4. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    That sounds kinda heavy, didn't know the PNW got that busy.
    September, October can get bad, this town becomes a surf destination and there is local frustration. Mostly barking though, I've never seen anyone actually swinging.
    I'm sure you don't want to paddle out anywhere in Hawaii with a chip on your shoulder or feeling entitled. I haven't been back in decades but can't imagine things changing that much. I've never met a race of people that love to throw down as much as the Hawaiians. If you think your tough they will test you.
    Yeah, and I still exercise common sense in California. I wouldn't talk shit at Steamer Lane. Or Trestles. Or anywhere. Bless the wave and thank the locals for sharing. And sometimes burning a fattie helps.

Carson likes this.
  5. Manik

Manik Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2015
    Lol, full of juice? You need to visit your girl or rub one out, get rid of that poison...
    just kidding, that's a good quote, I might have to steal it

6. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Some white guy who was trying to claim local status @ Playa Grande was burning a bunch of guys in the water during my last trip and I got pissed...then he burned me. I let him have it and he tried to play the local card. I laughed out loud and asked him where his Tico backup was. He backed down and paddled away, but I was still nervous. Being a visitor (especially in a foreign country) is not a good place to let your sack drop, but sometimes you gotta let people know that you’re not to fock with.

so in a way it worked but I couldn’t really surf the joint again, dig?

smitty517 likes this.
  7. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    We got a guy that isn’t really “local” but has surfed this place regularly and lives in the nearest town about 15-20 miles away. Surfs pretty good too, but he’s young and dumb and aggressive and every single local has threatened him to slow his roll.

His solution? Get a huge ex-felon kook to be his surfing buddy/bodyguard. Some were intimidated; most weren’t.

The hassling continued until one drunken night one of the locals popped off and got his face busted in by the goon.

Both those guys disappeared for a couple months but they’ve been sneaking their way back out slowly.

This is all pretty recent

UnfurleD likes this.
  8. La_Piedra

Oct 9, 2017
    Excellent point. However, as with almost everything these days, there can be political connotations with almost any subject matter these days in a world that seems hypersensitive.

It’s been pretty difficult to wade through a great deal of subjects without hurting people’s feelers, when only a few short years ago nobody cared (as much).

All over an election lol

Manik likes this.
  9. whoisJOB

whoisJOB Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2021
    surfed Steamer plenty of times. anyone yapping was all talk. usually the ones that were yapping were older dudes who weren’t in fighting shape anyway. as for trestles, surfed there a few dozen times too and no real schit talk I heard. definitely not dudes willing to throw down there that I’ve seen. now, multiple dudes paddling and competing for same wave? yah, seen that plenty there. found it to be one of the more conversational lineups in between 15-20 second period waves. people have been friendlier to me if you start a conversation there most times. on the longer period swells there, not a lot else to do when you could be waiting 10-20 minutes for the next sets to roll in.

feel free to use it. btw, my mistress empties my tank proper on the regular so no worries there brosef.

Manik likes this.