Lake Michigan Last Night

Discussion in 'USA Mainland Surf Forum' started by johnnytoobad, Oct 10, 2012.

1. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    so my northern brethern got a great day of waves yesterday with green conditions......... Lake surfing aint so bad if ya dont mind the cold

545280_446441908731442_557512554_n.jpg

2. Big Wet Monster

Big Wet Monster Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I am headed to Chicago in December and am considering renting a board if there is surf. I don't know the consistency but that would be something awesome to say I have done..... like the time I tried to surf OCMD bay sandbar close to the inlet and had the coast guard called

3. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Wow nice pic! looks like fun!

I just surfed the lake about a month ago for the first time, visiting there from jersey. I gotta say, its a must do! There is nothing like being able to drink a little of the water when your thirsty! lol its so weird surfing fresh water for some reason... bring your wetsuit and find a board!!!

4. StuckontheGulf

StuckontheGulf Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    I just surfed the lake about a month ago for the first time, visiting there from jersey. I gotta say, its a must do! There is nothing like being able to drink a little of the water when your thirsty! lol its so weird surfing fresh water for some reason... bring your wetsuit and find a board!!![/QUOTE]

Really? Is that water drinkable?

5. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    is the buoyancy different? can't be that cold there yet...

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Nice pic dude, looks like fun conditions

7. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    well, its fresh water! lol you would probably get sick drinking large amounts, but its not like salt water.

I didn't notice any bouyancy issues while surfing, but when swimming. I was riding a longboard too

8. wavesliderac

wavesliderac Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2012
    sick man, a great lakes trip is a must do.

9. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Great pic, glad you guys scored!

10. OC&SC-83

OC&SC-83 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    That's awesome. What are the water temps there now? How was september, I've always heard that's by far the best month on Lake Michigan

11. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    wouldn't doubt the above pic was taken in sheboygan, wisconsin. They're situated on a point in the middle of the lake that gets swells from all angles, plus they have an excellent jetty/wind break (not unlike manasquan or sebastian inlets).

idk, Chicago is on the south corner of the lake, so although they could possibly get a much larger fetch from the north, the swell window is extremely limited. I'm guessing ridable surf there is rare and extremely short period/junky. Depending on the length of your visit, the chances of you scoring clean is probably minimal. I haven't heard of chicago even having decent sandbar and reef setups like sheboygan....but if you're doing it just to say you did it, have at it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  12. sherdude

sherdude New Member

Jul 10, 2012
    What did the coast guard do? I fish along that sandbar when I visit my parents and it sometimes looks like it would be fun on a log.

13. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Definitely a cool pic. Hope the dude on the inside fitzed the flock out that effer who's dropping in on him...

14. Turrtle

Turrtle Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Whoa that's sick!!!!

15. chad05gt

chad05gt Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    NICE! Thanks for the update and pic!

...just HOW cold is it; water as well as wind chill?

Living on the Gulf coast my entire life... canNOT imagine the COLD!!

16. TX Shreddin

TX Shreddin Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Pretty sad when Lake waves are better than what we have been dealt in the Gulf lately. I'm with you though Chad, at least we're still in our board shorts!!

Saw lake surfing the first time in Step Into Liquid but they didn't look that good.

Awesome pic!! Thanks for sharing.

17. Ryan7

Ryan7 Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Did a hit and run out there back in Nov, 2009. It was small, but clean and offshore all day with air temps in the low 70s and water temp around 50F.

The buoy out on Lake M just hit over 15ft at 9 seconds the other day.

https://vimeo.com/51026616

18. seanmcgaff

seanmcgaff Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2012
  19. Stranded in Smithfield

Stranded in Smithfield Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Things I would do once to say I did it but would probably be pissed if I had to do it all the time. That wave with Jamie Sterling actually looks fun though..........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sMWoG0llYo

20. sandfly

sandfly Active Member

Nov 3, 2011
    In WB this would be a 4 star day...