Learn to Swim ! Va Beach

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mickey1982va, Jun 16, 2012.

1. mickey1982va

mickey1982va Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/local/visitor-drowns-at-the-oceanfront_4209324

I would like to think most people out on a board this weekend know how to swim, or have an idea of what they are doing ! If anything, be smart enough to have a board to rest on ! Not sure what happened here, but it sucks either way !

I had a kid come up to me yesterday looking about 14 years old, asking me which way the current was going... something you should probably find out before going in the water... proceeds to paddle out, maybe getting 10 yards out, drifts about 100 yards south, comes back to tell me it's to choppy ! You don't say !! Come on people !

Yes, I did paddle out today around 3 or so at Sandbridge, actually made it further out than expected, and was just to rough to surf, at least for me, So i got the hell out of the water ! Good for Boogie Boarding tho ! Instead of catching a wave, one caught me and threw me down pretty hard, I was done after that...

Okay, but just be safe ! Looks Monday thru Wed. Morning will be clean here in Va Beach! I may paddle out tomorrow afternoon, we'll see !

2. hinmo24t

hinmo24t Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Damn, sad story...

3. mickey1982va

Jun 12, 2012
    Yeah, Unfortunately the Weather has no mercy ! Could have happened to anyone today though ! I'm still picking sand out of my nose & ears b/c a wave pummeled my ass earlier today !

4. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    a lot of people been drowning lately here in nj.you have to know what your getting into before you take on the sport.rip currents exist anytime theres waves,so if your a surfer but afraid of rips,then you will get no where.same with sharks,they are there,we try to act like there not.the ocean is a dangerous woman and u need to treat her with respect because she will throw you in a loop

5. krl0919

krl0919 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    was surfing in monmouth county on thursday and pulled two kids out of the water that were caught in a huge, completely obvious rip. over the last three day i saw lifeguards pull close to 15 people out. people are just dumb and have zero respect for the ocean and how strong it really is.

6. mickey1982va

Jun 12, 2012
    Oh yeah... I'm sometimes quickly reminded I'm not immortal ! Which is probably a good thing ! But that goes with any extreme sport... but especially surfing/boogie boarding since we are playing with a mass of water that will do what it wants to, when it wants to !