Libtech x ...Lost: Board Review

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by live4truth, Nov 18, 2016.

1. live4truth

live4truth Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Well...sold quite a bit of my quiver, fins, and other gear to shuffle things up a bit and try out the libtech ...lost collaboration (thanks to those of you who helped by buying my gear). Been riding Haydens for years and liked the EPS carbon parabolic tech, but when libtech came out with the ...lost shapes (and my buddies shop started carrying them) I decided to make the switch and give them a whirl after hearing about the durability and fun others were having on them.

Thought it would be cool to start a thread to review all three models (pic below)--encourage other who have them to contribute as well. I'll be a bit detailed pics of the surf etc. But really stoked out on these boards and want to give them a good shake and provide feedback for those looking into them...just my perspective on them...

Shapes (L to R): 5'3" Puddle Jumper (28 ltr); 5'6" Shortround (27 ltr); 5'10" sub buggy (27.6 ltr)

FullSizeRender.jpg

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Do they come in magenta??
    I can't buy one that isn't magenta.
    Well, maybe fuscia.....

3. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm thinking Nantucket Red, what you think?

4. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    I find this post quite ironic because for the past week I've been doing nothing but research on the lib tech puddle jumper. The prices on these things are really cheap considering they're technically lost boards. Unfortunately I'm just not gonna buy a new board until the Spring but hopefully they'll have a 5'7" in stock when I'm ready.

If you get your hands on one give us a review. The durability Is what I find most attractive. It would totally be a travel board. I hear that it's a pretty dampened ride given the construction. Allegedly you don't get that EPS ping pong ball feel.

Good luck on the journey!

Disregard on getting your hands on one I didn't see the pic at first. How does she ride? And under what conditions have you taken it out in?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I didn't really care for the feel of libtech.

6. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
  7. backside hack

backside hack Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2012
    I have a Lib Tech 5'5" Puddle Jumper.
    Sick Board.

Short Round looks sweet too..

8. mrcoop

mrcoop Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2010
    I just did not like the way it felt compared to my pu. Just me.

9. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Absolutely ravishing color selection!! It's so you!!!

10. frothy cheese

frothy cheese Well-Known Member

May 6, 2016
    whats your height and weight?
    was never interested in those boards until mine got more and more beet up. the durability promises are what attract me. looking to go feel one in a shoppe soon and maybe save up the dough

11. live4truth

Feb 9, 2007
    Had my first go on one of the lib boards over the weekend (Saturday)...based on the conditions of my local decided to take out the Shortround as the waves were around stom-chest high early with no wind (nt., pic below...later morning shot). Set up the board with the only FCS fins I have medium CI's--hastily threw them in and got ready to go. My height and weight: 5'10"x165lbs. My optimal volume for boards is usually around 27 liters +-...

Compared to my Hayden's the Libs have a bit more weight and I can definitely feel it when duck diving and paddling into waves. First wave was a runner around chest high...descent left (im a goofy foot)...board felt a bit squirrely on my bottom turn (like it was going to slip out) and just thought it needed to be ridden off the back foot a bit more. Board is easy to whip around...went fins free a few times and could feel the potential this board has...but realize I needed to get used to it. Got a few other fun waves before the backwash came up...and I moved to a few other locations. Board does not grovel well at all--second spot I surfed was really flat even on the sets...board had barely any glide into the wave (but I was tired). Finally moved to a spot that was dredging a bit and had a fun few waves. The low nose rocker was never a problem and was able to run through some sections with ease. Never had an issue catching as well with the wide nose--but this could be a length issue. Overall, it'll need some getting used to but I can see the potential of the board. My initial thought was that I need to figure out a good fin placement and may have to play around with the fins...get a few more templates...

Also, found when I initially jumped out in my haste to put in my fins the rear fins was not centered and a bit forward. After I moved it...tightened the board up a bit...only moved the fin about an 1/8"...wild how just a minor adjustment will change the board.

Pros: easy to paddle despite length and thickness; low rocker made it easy to get into waves; durable (I am really heavy footed and despite a 5 hr. session not a pressure at all--cant say that about the haydens and stretches I have had); large sweet spot

Cons: fins placement--no shaper dots...no specific placement recommendations--can only put the FCS tabbed fins in the center of the box and hope for the best

Overall, I really liked the board and know it is going to be a real winner...with a few tweaks shouldn't have an issue whatsoever once I dial in my fins and the placement. It'll take some getting used to but such is the case with all boards...

IMG_8593.jpg

12. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    ^^^ nice review. Should've brought out the puddle jumper! I was using my groveler Saturday. I'll be anxiously awaiting your PJ review. Next semi-decent swell bring it out there and let her rip. We are interestingly a very similiar weight but I like a significant amount more volume than you, I guess for the increased paddle power.

13. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Good words, thanks man. Hoping we get actual waves so I can hear about the buggy. I'm you but two inches taller and reg footed so this helps. My .02 about the fins- I saw on their site they make their own for those boards, right? I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only setup that feels right under these boards

14. live4truth

Feb 9, 2007
    Yea should have ridden the PJ but the Shortround looks so sweet...couldn't help myself. Next smaller session I'll totally grab the PJ knowing what the shortround lacks...as for the sub buggy seems like a great little shortboard I think it'll feel really similar to my lovebuzz due to outline rocker, etc. the foil towards the nose is a lot thinner but definitely has real potential can't wait...

As for the lib fins...I have them on order. I'll give them a whirl once they come in...I've seen others ride the mayhem fins in the board and it makes sense but I typically don't rise large sized fins...but who knows. I'll keep ya updated

15. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    Yew! My only other concern is that my friend who works at a shop that has them says they're great and all, but fixing the rare ding in them is brutal. Not sure if he just can't fix dings or if it's something to take into account when dropping cash on one

16. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
  17. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    I wouldn't be surprised if some kid tried testing the durability too much or jut got splattered on a jetty and came back expecting it to be an easy fix. I'll try to get more info on what the sitch was

18. Kanman

Kanman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Sounds good. Report back with his remarks. I'm curious.

19. backside hack

backside hack Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2012
    5' 6"
    170 lbs

ride a 5' 5" Lib Puddle Jumper
    Def. extra volume then i usually ride but that was the point. Ain't getting any younger.

20. frothy cheese

May 6, 2016
    He said they're definitely tough to ding and if you just crack the outside it won't fill with water. I think the part about being hard to fix was just word of mouth from where he works. He also said he tried a groveler (I'm assuming puddle jumper) and loved it.

I am getting closer and closer to taking out the cash so I have a good shortboard while I fix up and sell my other couple of boards