Looking for surf partner over next few days or so

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by ScorchieLeWave, Apr 27, 2020.

1. ScorchieLeWave

ScorchieLeWave Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Just looking for someone to surf with in Orange County - like Huntington Pier or Golden West or any other break in between or nearby. I haven't surfed in almost a year partly due to an injury. I don't mind less crowded breaks during COVID. I live in the Inland Empire about an hour plus drive to the beach.

I cannot find the number that the guy at Golden West gave me of his brother who surfs Manhattan Beach. I would have called him.

Any help appreciated, otherwise, I'll just surf alone.

2. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Aren't you supposed to stay home?

3. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    All I know Carson is, waist to shoulder is too big for a kook like you so YOU should have stayed home.

So you picked a fight. Finish it loser!

4. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    Oh, and Carson, you're not only an ass-hole - you're too dumb to be a real engineer so you do DevOps - more your speed.

5. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Sounds like you need a hug. I'd give it to you, but social distancing and all that. Hope you found something to cure your angst.

6. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Oh, and if you ever need someone to make sure that your apps run at scale, give me a call. ;)

7. antoine

antoine Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Did I miss something or was that just agro?

8. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    Totally agro.

9. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    I just thought I'd disagree since the Orange County are open. I haven't been to a beach in a year - give me a break. I might even go to Bolsa Chica with the grommies.

I'll keep my six feet, trust me, I don't want to give or get Covid-19

10. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006

Disagree with a question? :)

Technically, even though the ocean is "open" for surfing, out Newsome, President of the Nation-State of California has decreed that we not travel. That was my point. If you want to roll the dice and travel out of your bubble, that's totally on you.

I figured you were just trying to bait me into an argument to entertain yourself, but I'm too old to fall for that.

Gotta say that your comment demeaning DevOps was pretty lame though considering that DevOps Engineers are some of the most highly sought after and best paid "software" engineers out there right now. I just talked to someone from a really big company about a leadership role. That company is getting ready to hire 22 DevOps engineers. Gotta learn that DevOps ish on your own too. Not going to learn what you need to know in CIS classes.

antoine likes this.
  11. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    That's what I didn't understand. It was an argument over a question. Big?

12. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    That's why I'm going to Bolsa Chica. I didn't realize it was a lucrative field to be in.

Or maybe a state beach - somewhere with few people and germ possibilities.

13. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    So i asked Karen but she had a blue one and then Kevin said pizza and I kicked the ball so we went skating and the sled was broke so we scored a touchdown and the blueberries were ripe....

Notaseal likes this.
  14. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    I've been in IT for over two decades. I know some things.

15. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    Your skills are probably needed. A modern computer is a lot to wrestle with - too much even for developers who mostly just write classes, methods, and scripts, and perhaps occasional make and Perl scripts. Hence, your field of DevOps takes the load off the lazy developer. Development is actually easier than IT. IT is a nightmare of tools and tricks, the average developer would not typically know unless he's very organic.

But I must admit, one of my favorite things to do is to Dumpster-dive an old computer, fix the switch on the front, boot it up (sometimes needs new power supply), then clear out a the passwords and use all the great software they had bought. And of course, reactivate it if it's a Windows PC. Then if I get too many, sell it for $130. Then grab a big-screen tv from the curb, clean the rubber residue ofc the switches and watch sports - well, not much sports anymore I guess.

Nothing like a free Dumpster-dive Dell!

16. World B Free

World B Free Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    O most "Singed of Combers",

Soooooo...you came here looking for someone to drive to the coast to surf with. I can't fault you there. It really sounds like you could use the water time.

But lets be honest...how's that working out for you?

Insulting strangers and showing a thin skin is in no way going to engender your search.

If you can't even make the request without losing your cool, I can't see anyone jumping at the chance to surf/road trip with you.

Walking with eyes wide open into bad Juju is just no-kinda-way.

Oh yeah, that hour drive to the beach in an enclosed space with a stranger...that's what they call anti-social distancing.

I know it was a lifetime ago, but last century the common notion to getting rides was "Gas, grass or ass". All of those imply positive vibrations. Sense a pattern?

Feel free to call me an a-hole too but I only offer this notion in the spirit of Aloha. Surf etiquette (should) extend to the beach and beyond. A drop-in on dry land is still a drop-in.

I really do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. As noted previously, water time is our true redeemer.

Please be sure to respond to the "Who here has been surfing this week" thread to let us know how it all shakes out. Slide on.

P.S. Carson has been a regular Kahuna Stylee contributor so I think you may have read him wrong. He has generously shared personal spot knowledge with me and I appreciate that. He may be a better ally than you have realized.

Having said those nice things, I still wouldn't give him a ride to the Beach these days! Haha. Be safe all.

"A thumb goes up, a car goes by
    Oh, won't somebody stop and help a guy
    ?"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  17. Carson

Carson Well-Known Member

May 19, 2006
    You forgot the last part..."Nobody rides for free." :D

But, you wouldn't want to be seen with this Kook anyway, would you? ;)

18. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    I read your post World B Free - yeah, I might have been wrong to respond to the "aren't you supposed to stay home" reply with "ass-hole, ...". I was just being rude - I'll admit it and leave it at that, and get my stuff ready for Ventura or Santa Barbara, since Gavin rightly closed Orange (probably playing it safe is better even if painful recreationally and economically without a stimulus package). Health is more important than surfing - I can almost live on the memories of the many fun groundswells I've surfed.

I'm not worried about finding a surf partner. I have already taught many people how to surf. I am a highly competent and knowledgeable waternan, and I don't need to be shown private breaks - I can always find them myself. I designed and built the 36 litre beautiful shortboard I take to the beach. I also know a huge amount about surfboard hydrodynamics.

I have literally thousands of sessions of good memories of surfing but not the tens of thousands of the WSL pros who I'm not as good as. I actually enjoyed watching the tour more than going surfing but now I don't even have that until perhaps Bells, Margaret River, or G-Land.

With my bad back, I can take my time getting back to the beach routine.

I'll have to see who the "kook" is some time. I call it honestly - no BS.

19. antoine

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks for telling us how awesome you were/ are.. Truth is you came in hot with no direction and lashed out without consideration. Lets see how it goes for you.. Its up to you how to proceed. Hope thongs are swell for you in Cali.

20. ScorchieLeWave

Nov 15, 2010
    Hi Antoine, I appreciate your understanding.

I have figured out why I lashed out at Carson. I was angry about some basil seedlings that disappeared and some new Peru Purples. Plants are doing well, but I just keep scratching my head, what happened? Lizards ate the basil? They wereIwere inside a cage. I always sell some organic seedlings to others since I usually have an excess.

That's all, I was just pissed off.

I think I'll wait until a good swell comes in - looks pretty lame for the next week, although I might be mistaken, perhaps there will be a few good sets in between the short period windswell in the forecast. SoCal usually has something.