Major Hurricane Michael

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Betty, Oct 5, 2018.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    I feeling for you all right now. Just coming off a 'cane myself, it makes me nauseous to think about packing up the house and boarding up the windows.

I'll be thinking about y'all this week. Please be safe, and don't take any unnecessary risks.

2. Panhandler

Panhandler Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Perhaps I should have put the sarc sign on my posts, because this sheet
    https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/destin-florida
    isn't worth it. Its just crazy seeing the wave forecast that big, for this area, far beyond what I would be comfortable with.
    Heading out of work soon to put up shutters and get the house and yard ready. Hope the guys in the area were able to get gas, water, etc. Everywhere is running out of everything now

MrBigglesworth and Betty like this.

3. Yankkee

Yankkee Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2017
    The Weather Channel is histrionics central, but they have this storm track pounding the Gulf coast & then sweeping towards the Carolinas from the SW with inundation levels of (more) rain.
    I feel for you folks....fingers crossed that things are eventually ok.

DosXX, MrBigglesworth and Betty like this.
  4. Wavestrom

Wavestrom Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2014
    You're not towing into the 'fair' portion of the 14-16' forecast on Wednesday morning?

nopantsLance and Betty like this.
  5. Panhandler

Oct 27, 2015
    I wasn’t planning on it but I heard that clownface was bringing a ski down.
    They just put the evac up for tomorrow. House is ready, got to go in for a half day tomorrow. I’m out long before they start closing bridges. Booked a room for the wife and kids in Montgomery incase we get the feeling to get them out of town. Or if we lose power and I go back to work so they don’t have to stay in a powerless house

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Praying for everybody in its path. Hope it is all bark and no bite.

DosXX, MrBigglesworth and Betty like this.
  7. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Best of luck to all you panhandlers. Feel like this storm came out of nowhere, without the usual 5-7 days of warning to prepare.

8. Panhandler

Oct 27, 2015
    This thing keeps shifting around and is moving fast. About to have our final walk through at work. Then lights, gas, power off, and lock the doors. This building is big and eerie when its empty and quiet. Hoping the track stays east like it was tracking, though I hate to wish that on others. Good luck to all of the guys in the area

9. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
  10. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Flhurricane.com:

“Without question, Michael is making a run for the Big Leagues, and may be a still-intensifying "Major" heading up to and/or right into landfall. Personally, I now put about 99.99% odds of attaining Cat 3 or higher, with a breakdown into the ranges as such

Less than Cat 3 almost 0%
    Wind Cat 3 40%
    Wind Cat 4 47.5%
    Wind Cat 5 12.5%

Michael is going to be a fast-moving major wind hurricane, so we can expect damaging winds well-inland despite weakening from a Cat 3, 4 or 5. “

And,
    “ Some storm-centered model forecasts for landfall intensity and location

Swiss Super HD

931MB just east of Panama City. Gusts into the 160s.
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy: Weather.US

ECMWF

934MB just west of Panama City. Gusts into the 160s.
    [​IMG]
    Courtesy: Weather.US“

11. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Not trying to make light of what could be a serious situation. Im being 100% serious here. But what a good dad you are! For both irene and sandy i was without power for about a month. 2 weeks and 3 weeks respectively. My pops never offered to freaking take me out of the area to stay at a hotel.

MrBigglesworth, Betty and Panhandler like this.
  12. Panhandler

Oct 27, 2015
    A perk of being in the hotel side of cooking. Discounts at other properties comes in handy.
    Also, the sky is a crazy color right now, sort of ominous. Temp has dropped a little but not as humid. We’re ready as we can be, hopefully. Enjoying some time with the fam and making dinner.

13. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    T
    The local, Hampton Roads weather stations are already winding up.
    As long as Jim Cantore stays away, we'll be OK....
    https://www.countryliving.com/life/travel/a23679838/jim-cantore-banned-florida-hurricane-michael/

14. DosXX

DosXX Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Take are of you and yours, PanMan.
    In the early 80s while in the Navy, I was stationed in P'cola and developed a special fondness for the area.

MrBigglesworth, Betty and Panhandler like this.
  15. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    3AM EDT Update 10 October 2018
    Michael is now an intensifying Cat 4 hurricane, and has a real chance to make Cat 5 before landfall later today. This is a historic hurricane, and unfortunately for many, its impacts will never be forgotten.

Those in evacuation zones who have been ordered to leave, you are being urged to do so *if it is still safe* Otherwise, it's bunker down. If avoiding storm surge by staying at a higher building level, remember that winds will be stronger the higher up one goes. Stay away from windows and anything that could become airborne projectiles in the event windows are blown out and/or roofs are blown away and/or walls collapse. If certain rooms are at risk for felled trees or telephone poles etc., consider avoiding those rooms altogether. The general safety protocols for surviving a tornado may apply (inner room - ideally not on a top floor).

16. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    :eek:

17. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    yeah, i just logged in at work and saw in the news its a cat 4. Holy sheet - hope yall stay safe down there!

Betty likes this.
  18. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    This one turned into a monster real quick. Be safe my fellow Floridians. I hope this is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

MrBigglesworth and Betty like this.
  19. Panhandler

Oct 27, 2015
    Well sheet, this might get really hectic

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Betty likes this.
  20. Panhandler

Oct 27, 2015
    Betty likes this.