making the wetsuit last

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by jaabarlow, Jun 3, 2011.

1. jaabarlow

jaabarlow Member

Sep 14, 2009
    So my 3/2 is still in really good shape, but the tape that on the seams (inside) is coming off. Is there a glue or something I can use to help extend the life, since I will be soon putting the suit away for a few months. Or is this a waste of time. I like to make things last and otherwise the suit is holding up well. Thanks!

2. wontonwonton

wontonwonton Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Even if tape is coming off theres still glued seams under. It is so annoying to repair and doesnt work. Just use it and get a new one eventually and take insanely good care of it. And warmth wont be any different cuz 3/2 isnt in the brutal months.

3. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Depending on the brand, you may be able to send it back for repair. I keep my Rip Curl suits for a few years. When the season ends (if needed) I box it up sent it in and Rip Curl will repair it for free. Just not tears/holes or abuse, but wear like tape on seams or stitching, def!

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    O'Neil Neoprene Cement... or something like that... works great if you follow the manufacturers instructions. I've glued the tape back on in a few places, on a number of different suits. It works, but you have to do it exactly the way they say to do it.

I like your attitude, brother. Learn to take care of your gear (suits AND boards) and it will last twice as long, keep the landfills from filling up twice as they should, and save you money in the long run.

5. kgirl

kgirl Member

Jun 20, 2010
    The same thing happened to my 3/2 O'Neill Epic.... But 4/3 and 2/1 are fine. I thought maybe it was the lower end model, not the brand. But, since air temp is warm when wearing the 3/2, I figured I'd just deal... I can't notice it when in the water. Good to know it can be fixed, now I can try the method posted above. I thought maybe fix it like a tear, but figured best not to mess with it since couldn't notice any difference other than visually when rinsing the suit down inside out. Glad you thought to post this!!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  6. scull

scull New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    piss on it. it will last forever

7. ripturbo

ripturbo Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    black shoo goo warmed up a bit is best

8. gnargnar

gnargnar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    http://www.3m.com/product/information/Marine-Fast-Cure-5200-Adhesive-Sealant.html

marine 5200 rubber sealant... get it at your nearest boating store such as West Marine or Boats US. i bought it to fix a leaky plug on my boat once and now i always need to have it around the house, it works for anything. i recently repaired a hole in the collar of my wetsuit... good as new and maybe better. cheap, too. give it a try.

9. gnargnar

gnargnar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2009
    and you dont need a caulking gun to use it like the site says, they sell it in little tooth paste style tubes.

10. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    definately send it back. If its fairly new, in my experiences, the major qetsuit companies stoke you out and will send you a brand new one as long as the wearing is honest surf related wear. I have gotten like 4 free wetsuits over the years. Im just sent back my cell6 (although quick doesnt make it anymore) it has some general wear and tear, so they should either repair it, or send me something new. We shall see. I have been rocking the new oneill psycho freak 3.5 mil all winter. Didnt use the cell6 once. But I love the cells, my favorite ever, so we will see what happens now that the cells are no longer in production...

11. MATT JOHNSON

MATT JOHNSON Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    There is a place online that sell neoprene in all kind of thinknesses and colors and they also sell Seam tape for 5 bucks a roll. Just order the tape and you can retape it yourself and save you the time of waitng to get your suit back