Miki Dora was correct......

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by SouthjettyBill, Feb 3, 2012.

1. SouthjettyBill

SouthjettyBill Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Shoot, I reckon most people on here have never even heard of Miki Dora. Anyway, even though I don't condone the methods he used to fund his lifestyle and the way he treated some people along the way, Miki Dora was the greatest American to have ever lived. He saw it all, and let us know about it 60 years ago. Ironically he helped create the madness that he so despised.

Complex people may appreciate that contradiction.

He saw what the commercialization and professionalism would do to this lifestyle. With the growth of the suburbs, the post World War II financial boom, the rise of credit, etc, Dora saw the effects that over population would have in a world of finite resources. The world's population has more than tripled in the last century. Most of it occuring in the last 60 years. Do people go on far out surf trips for the actual waves or to escape the crowds?

Surfing has declined from a life on the fringes - of adventure, connection to nature, purism - to a commercialized, "buy my boardshorts" mentality with d-bags like me arguing with morons like Ihatelongboarders on a friggin computer. Surfing used to be a life's dedication. Now corporate lawyers pull up to Philadelphia Ave in Sea Girt, hop on their cell phones to tell their other elite friends that the surf is cranking......scheduling a nooner. A once noble pursuit, secretley admired by the stuffy, now has become a hobby for yuppie types who treat it like tennis.

Hopefully the non-comitted will move on to other fads, after they see some movie glorifying something else. HA, there goes half of this website's participants.The "Spicoli" stereotype still exists but it really isn't represenatative of today's surfing populace. Oh sure, there are still a lot of less intelligent types in surfing. That hasn't changed - just scan these boards. Many of the people on here never post a message over two sentences, and it's usually just four or five words. It's easy to be "liked" when you are basically a non-factor...a forgetable, nameless, nothing, lost in the masses.

The people who stand out are the Miki Doras of the world. Those with the foresight, intelligence and soul to look at the world and say, "Hold on.....this is not right." People with the courage to stand out from the average joe and speak the truth no matter how unpopular it may be. Everything Dora predicted has come true. Look around you....at the state of the world....at the state of surfing. It's actually worse than he imagined. I don't think Dora saw the rise of technical gadgets dumbing down our society even further. Oil helped create this modern lifestyle, and when it dries up, it will be the catalyst for the destuction of the life we know. Just like Miki Dora - he helped create something he hated. Don't you love the irony?

2. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    ironically SJB is the sorta of guy Dora would of beat up.

3. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    You're right, SJB... Dora can be credited with a lot of things. First and foremost, you can thank Dora for putting a priority on "image." What kind of image? The "gangsta" image. It all started with him... the bad boy... the counterculture guru... the local heavy... Jump forward 50 years and you get FTW.

4. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Another irony of Dora, is that he made his living from various scams including credit card fraud. Whether you interpret him as predator or parasite, he still preyed upon the mainstream culture that he thumbed his nose at. Looking at various counter-culture subgroups--hippies, gangstas, surf rebels, etc., they still depend on the mainstream culture that they eschew.

The sweet juxtaposition of biting the hand that feeds makes the antihero an interesting character and adds to his appeal to those of us who live like lambs but think like lions. . .

5. swello

swello Member

Nov 11, 2011
    I definitely appreciate the contradiction

6. Jai-Guru

Jai-Guru Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I'm still pissed at Miki for snaking me on that 8 foot LeBarre lefthander...lol

Like Jeff Hackman my hero, I lost a certain amount of respect for their shady past but they're both in my hall of fame...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    ...I read the book, too ("All for a few perfect waves", and it's a terrific read - there are few insiders left from the southern cal. surf scene of the 40's - 60's, but "Da Cat" had it wired - and as the author wrote the book, it makes it appear as though Dora knew that he was contributing to a culture he despised, so he capitalized on it as much as much as he could - yet, from a personal perspective, he was also an a**hole, who lied, and preyed on anyone who was unsuspecting enough, or naive enough to let it happen - or maybe some were just seduced by his charm and personaliry! He lived most of his life on his own terms (except for the few years he was in the slammer for fraud) so he established a lifestyle many aspired to - he claimed that he never worked a day in his life (except for getting paid for some of the surf footage used in the "Gidget" and "Beach Blanket Bingo" type movies) but the most important thing he did, was create the most elegant style of longboad surfing I've ever seen! (as long as people didn't drop in on him - I've seen footage of him stepping back on top of his skeg, and swinging the nose up and around to whack somebody in the head!)

8. SouthjettyBill

Nov 16, 2011
    I don't think Dora could be compared with locals such as the ones in Oxnard. He tended to go after people who dropped in on him. I don't think Dora's "bad boy" image compares to today's "bad boy".......the suburban white boy gangster and farm thugs. He was more anti-establishment, before anyone knew what establishment meant, than a thug.

I did mention I don't condone how he funded his life style and how he could treat people. What I admire is how he saw all of this negativity coming .....both in the surf world and the regular world. Everybody in the 50's was lost in the boom of U.S. prosperity and didn't see the writing on the wall. That their actions would some day have consequences. He saw the way the U.S. was going the way of the Romans before that idea became a fad. Yeah he could be a scumbag, but he was extremely intelligent and a classic character. Ask crazy Aussie surf journo, Derek Hynde about how far Dora's influence extended. Oh LBCrew nice Greenough reference in the style thread.

Another point is that we don't have any characters in the surf world anymore....NONE.......Jeez, try and have some fun on a surfing website and people get sore. By the way, I never did crap except when I was insulted, most of my threads were all of a serious nature. Look them up and prove me wrong....remember, besides me acting nuts when responding to retards. Emphasis on "acting." But there's my point. People screaming to ban people because they might be a little outlandish. That's who's surfing these days? People who get upset at surfing websites. Where's the individuals and the characters? Where have they gone? It's such a ME,ME,ME ME society these days.....Oh, you don't like something somebody says.....well lets get at them and throw them out of YOUR world. The more recent generations have been coddled with a "Johnny can do no wrong" attitude, which creates a generation of kids with TOO much self-esteem and attitiude and ego. But even with that upbringing, still no interseting characters. They lost their personalities in computers, video games and cell phones. How many times do you see kids actually playing pick-up games of football, street hockey, baseball etc.......I haven't seen that in years. They can't even communicate in person.....only behind a computer screen or on a phone.

Thanks for reading. Oh Ihatelongboarders ...I posted this thread and then it took a whole 8 minutes for your response. Oh I would have slaughtered Miki Dora by the way. I'm completely nuts when I see red.

9. SouthjettyBill

Nov 16, 2011
    Ummm forgot to say this....Dora wasn't really known for "beating people up." And I hate to break this to you, Ihatelongboarders, he most likely wouldn't have any problems with my personality. He probably wouldn't like dudes on the computer who cry about characters on an internet site. Do you really think he'd gravitate towards you instead of me? Really? Sorry but I don't think so. Yeah sorry, I'm not the type he "beat up."

Do some of you guys think you're popular on here or something? A few of you think you're liked on here or something. You post a few words here and there....no one remembers anything you say......you're irrelevant, you contribute nothing(good or bad), you're a non-issue. You come out of hiding when you see an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon.....to bond with someone....you're followers.......Dudes, give it up.

10. wbsurfer

wbsurfer Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2008
    i really miss gruvii more. this southjettybill guy is getting crazy, at least with gruvii he was more funny.

11. DKennedy

DKennedy Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG]Dora would hate me. but its cool. i love him.

12. Jai-Guru

Jai-Guru Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    You're spot on SJB...no need to let anyone under your skin. The ultimate dis is to say nothing in reply. Keep the stoke.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  13. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    is that a strike anywhere sweat shirt? that band blows

14. mop

mop Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Dora

Just go surf and be real, goons will be exposed.

15. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    you guys aren't getting it! despite his influence, negative image, etc., ....when he surfed point breaks, he had the "coolest of the cool" style of longboard surfing! Ever!

16. Recycled Surfer

Recycled Surfer Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I swear I saw "DA CAT" at Taco Bell last friday night :]

17. SouthjettyBill

Nov 16, 2011
    Send a message to Gruvi. Strike up a friendship with him. Write each other letters. I am not Gruvi. I'm not trying to be Gruvi. I've read two posts from him and don't get it. Saying Mcanalbleed surfboard is what you find fuuny? Anyways, I keep getting the "SJB was funny at first but now he sucks" thing. I have only tried to be funny two or three times. I have been called the funniest person in the world by at least 15 people. I just have issues these days.

Anyway why do I get compared or have to live up to someone else when I post. Hey, WBsurfer, do you have people following you around judging every post you make.... Comparing you to others. And how was this post crazy?? Oh hey do you really know Jenelle....that's twicthen dude !!! You'll have to tell em all about her. Even though I'm not as cool as Gruvi, you are my new hero. That Jenelle is such a saucy B!@ch !!!

18. SouthjettyBill

Nov 16, 2011
    Thanks yo, It warms my heart to see enlightened, intelligent people on here. I have deduced that all the sissies who get chased off of other surfing sites ended up here. No, I'm not saying all y'all people so calm down. But I have never encountered such confused people before. But there's really only one particular dude I'd like to meet in a dark alley, or a sunny Atalntic City boardwalk

Ohh you know what shames me the most. The Karate Kid. A inner-city Newark or Jersey City kid(I forget) goes to Southern California and gets beat up by pretty boy Southern Californians.....on motorcycles.......pretty boys on motorcycles.I cry in shame everytime i see that flick.

19. Gfootr

Gfootr Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I read the "All for few..." book, I guess I was looking for what the real deal was behind the Dora fascination.

After the read, I had a problem with someone burning down an apartment by being careless, then just walking away and blaming a murderous plot. Plus the paranoia and being completely untrustworthy - hard to live like that.

Great surfer, I admire that. Getting the best of some people, that's cool, but between the lines (at least in that book) he did a ton a ****ty stuff to a ton of people.

How does that make him a hero?

20. SouthjettyBill

Nov 16, 2011
    Yar, I mentioned I didn't condone the way he funded his lifestyle nor how he treated peopel at times. He's surfing's original anti-hero. The flawed but celebrated protagonist.

Tell em Derek,

"Dora was a hobo royal: an orator, thinker, angle cutter. He worked harmonics of discord to a style rarely seen in populist Americana........He was foremost a deconstructor of the American dream.......He corrupted himself on Hollywood stunt work and royalities from sinature models bearing his Da Cat moniker, yet with his sense of black irony enhanced an unclassified image in the process.....Dora's postwargaragesurfcult became surfing subculture. He held rare license as Watcher and Commentator over a Rat Race largely of his own making." (Derk Hynd)

He's surfing's thinking man's character. A flawed character with an ego, yes. One who funded his shun of the system in dubious fashion. But in this time of modern, cookie-cutter existence, even in the surf world, he is a character who the disaffected embrace.

And by the way, I in NO WAY worship celebrities like the rest of the world. I can't stand that stuff. I don't idolize movie stars. But I admire Dora......Dave Paramenter's writings, Kurt Vonnegut, and Howard Stern.