More 3d printing fun... look now before the thread is binned.

Discussion in 'Global Surf Talk' started by Roy Stuart, May 13, 2014.

1. HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI

HARDCORESHARTHUFFER-RI Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I heard if you back them up against a cliff, they push back harder.....

2. Roy Stuart

Roy Stuart Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not a gnome at 6', there are very few sheep in my area, and I've been extremely busy... I snatch a few moments to share what I'm doing and even to respond to your BS.

3. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Holy Crap MIS that was hilarious! Thanks for my afternoon laugh man.

4. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    He's not refering to height, you look like the Trvelocity Gnome in a prison jump suit and special olympics helmet.

5. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Speaking of growing a set, er, losing a set when's the gender change operation, gnome?

6. dudeclimbing

dudeclimbing Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Roy if ya got the program already in place for the fins ya can make thousands . Simple math = $
    Then ya can go anywhere ya want. What you are doing is like an college kids senior project in mechanical engineering. Simple tweets to the program and there ya have a whole line of fins. I could go on n on.

7. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    It takes 8 hours to print a 9" single fin, 3D printing is best for low production and design flexibility.

8. dudeclimbing

Apr 16, 2013
    How long for the foil fin?

9. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    How many hours to print 12 latex dummies...er...12 people? Are they flexible?

10. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    The bonzer fins?

2 to 3 hours.

Some fellows are using a pair of these for longboard 2+1 setups.

11. dudeclimbing

Apr 16, 2013
    Like I said before, your round foil fin. It's round.

12. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    A RoyStu customer to whom cost is no object? You don't say ...

Who is it, Richard Branson? Or perhaps Rihanna is getting the titanium fins to match her SLK? I, for one, am guessing he (or she) is in the bridge acquisition business.

Either way, I think I can speak for all of us when I say that we would like to hear some of this customer's feedback. Unless a RoyStu custom comes with a NDA ...

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Since you mentioned the latex dummy action, spicoli, where has the Forum's favorite latex love doll-pounding wooden plank shaping barn animal been hiding lately? Come out come out wherever you are, chucka-boo-boo!

Hmmmmm....should we be concerned that no one has heard from the boo-boo since he was rumored to be spotted at the Air New Zealand ticket counter in Boston purchasing a one-way ticket to Auckland...?

14. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Right the tunnels... the smallest one (4" diameter) will take about 4 hours, drawings are being prepared for the first one, we'll have Futures or FCS tabs.

15. dudeclimbing

Apr 16, 2013
    Futures would prob be stronger eh, fcs would prob be a little more play on the tunnel design with the torque with that design. Good luck. Post it when it's done.

16. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013
    Thanks, I'll definitely post them up soon.

Tab wise tunnels put way less strain on the tabs than regular fins, because they have a wide base, so we could probably even get away with a single FCS plug. There's basically zero torque as well ( if I understand what you mean by torque correctly).

Both FCS and futures will allow adjustment of the lift angle on the tunnel with a bit of careful shimming.

I'll be running them with a single or with two to four side fins and am super keen to try the tunnel with four bonzer runners, a setup which has some historical significance.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  17. Roy Stuart

Jan 27, 2013

I'm the one who has signed an NDA recently, 16 pages of it and some draconian penalties.

18. RIsurfer

RIsurfer Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2012
    That is sick. Wish I had a 3D printer

19. MichaelJR

MichaelJR Well-Known Member

May 4, 2014
    I know quite a bit about 3D printing, specifically guns (naturally).

The materials being used and in R&D are incredible. We've gone from lowers, to fully functioning units handling serious pressure.

YouTube defcad, and Cody Wilson. Doing some unbelievable work there.

Needless to say, I suspect the materials available for surf industry coming out will be A+.