Need a guide November 16-18 in PR

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by leahi, Nov 10, 2012.

  1. leahi

    leahi New Member

    Nov 10, 2012

    I'm a intermediate surfer--grew up in Honolulu surfing south shore waves--and I'll be in PR--staying in San Juan this coming week. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for a guide in the area. This is a bit of a spontaneous trip and I've not had time to do much research so any direction would be greatly appreciated. I'll need to rent boards and would love to have someone who could show me around as well and work as a guide.

    I mostly surf fish and lbs in up to OH+ surf.

    thanks guys!
  2. ukelelesurf

    ukelelesurf Well-Known Member

    Apr 25, 2007
    What do you need a guide for? Don't be lame go surf it's the easiest place ever.

  3. S-T-R-E-T-C-H

    S-T-R-E-T-C-H Well-Known Member

    Mar 25, 2011
    Im ur man. I can sho u the places that dont make it lame as ****. If u surf all the popular advertised breaks ull have a ****ty time. Hit me up private message n let me kno ur plans so i can take off of work. Ull have the best surf trip ever if u roll w me. Weve been getting sick swell the past couple of weeks n im sure its not going anywhere. So if u wanna surf isolated breaks roll w me if u wanna surf where u can show off n be seen get a map. Lemme kno n best of luck bro
  4. Brett

    Brett Well-Known Member

    Dec 4, 2010
    Drive out west to Rincon. Well worth the world class surf and chill/welcoming environment and surf scene. Give Ramses Morales a call. Look him up, he is undoubtedly the best guide on the island. Good luck.
  5. LegendJim

    LegendJim Well-Known Member

    Apr 18, 2010
    You could go to La Ocho surf shop. There is a fun wave there most days and it doesn't have a heavy localized crowd. There are alot of great waves within about 45 min drive East or West of San Juan but you should make sure your vehicle does not have anything of value in it as there are alot of opportunists around. Good Luck it is an amazing place but there is another side of the coin in PR. I hope it lands heads up for you bro.
  6. ClemsonSurf

    ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

    Dec 10, 2007
    Stretch, how was your tour of the east coast? Did you have to fight anyone for waves?
  7. McLovin

    McLovin Well-Known Member

    Jun 27, 2010
    I am here in SJ right now. Surfed La 8 yesterday and it was fun with a chill crowd of about 10. If you're just staying in the San Juan area, rent a car and with a GPS you can get around pretty much anywhere. El Yunque rainforest is a must see, and is a 45 minute drive from SJ.
  8. S-T-R-E-T-C-H

    S-T-R-E-T-C-H Well-Known Member

    Mar 25, 2011
    Nah no fights. I had some really good sessions with some really cool people. Everybody remembered me from the **** i stirred up m got the humor in it and we had a blast. Back home and boy am i happy to b here. East coast really is a different wave than here and not really in a good way but regardless there was some barrels. Lets stir up sum **** eh?
  9. ClemsonSurf

    ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

    Dec 10, 2007
    I was waiting on that call in Charleston. We had a couple good days mixed in there. Glad you had a good trip..... Sorry OP for hijacking the thread.
  10. DawnPatrol321

    DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

    Mar 6, 2012
    You don't need a guide man, just got back from PR and it's really easy to get around, just rent a car and like some have said use a GPS, but you can't rely 100% on GPS in PR I found, it'll get you there 80% of the time, the other 20% you'll probably have to ask someone where to go, as the GPS won't be accurate all the time, missing roads, etc.,
  11. crackinjackapples

    crackinjackapples Member

    Nov 12, 2012
    enough of the spontaneous trip problems...making me sick
  12. rodndtube

    rodndtube Well-Known Member

    May 21, 2006
    As somebody else mentioned, La Ocho (Stop 8) is your best bet for your surfing experience as described (Oahu south shore surf). There is large public park/recreation complex between the main avenue into San Juan and the ocean, now called Parque del Tercer Milenio. The La Ocho Surf Shop should be able to take care of your board needs (call ahead).