need yer opinyuns

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by salt, Jun 17, 2015.

1. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    i think i have a way to manufacture a very affordable ($30-40) plastic hand plane complete with a leash that works better than anything else on the market. something for a person who wants to hand plane, but doesn't want to pay $120 for a hipster novelty item. would you buy it?

2. bubs

bubs Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Eh. I wouldn't buy any handplane. Not my thing.

If i were to buy one I would rather spend 30-40 over 120.

But then again I would probably make my own.

3. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    i never used a traditional wooden narrow/tiny hand plane. i've only used my own. they're pretty fun.

4. Sniffer

Sniffer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    You might be infringing on a Patent. Look into it. And don't tell anyone about it until you get one!

5. kidrock

kidrock Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Salty,

I think if you were to provide some pictures and give some empirical data, there are quite a few people on the Paipo blogs that would show some strong interest. Hand planes are enjoying a bit of a comeback right now.

6. chicharronne

chicharronne Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2006
  7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Does it come in magenta or teal???

8. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    I wouldn't buy a hand plane

9. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Mark would go

I think Mark Cunningham is one of the greatest surfers of all time, and he goes prone. They just had him in Redbull magazine The Red Bulletin with Keith Malloy, Mike Stewart, and a few other chargers bodysurfing Chopes in good sized and very thick barrells. I post this because I am an avid bodysurfer and usually do it without fins or handplanes. I use my hand as a handplane. But I would try it out, especially one made from a SI legend. $30 - sign me up.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  10. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    what is tarnation is a paipo blog?

11. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
  12. DonQ

DonQ Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    I'm not a serious body surfer and to be honest, never tried hand planes. Understand their functionality and would like to try them at some point. Good luck, keep us updated please.

13. HoStevie

HoStevie Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2014
    I think the people who buy handplanes like that it's a "hipster novelty item" and thus are ok with paying the extra price. I also imagine it's a very tiny market.
    Just my thoughts!

14. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    agree

15. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

It is a "niche" market for sure. But a lot of millionaires became wealthy developing a product for niche markets. I used to do a lot of body surfing as a kid, and we used the palms of our hands as planes. I can understand how a plane would work. I say go for it--develop the product!! As you go along, you may find other products that could expand into a line of body surfing, billboarding products.

16. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Something like this?

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/boards/bodysurfing/hydro-bodysurfer.html

[​IMG]

17. Towelie

Towelie Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Sometimes when I wipe out I end up accidentally bodysurfing. It's actually pretty fun! Definitely beats getting scorpioned under. Would there be a way I could have one of these as a back up, easy draw kinda item?

Awesome idea though. I'd say go for it. When i get better at surfing and start branching out (inevitable) into body surfing - I'd love to have a product like this available to me.

Good luck dude!
    That being said:

[​IMG]

Sorry, had to :cool:

18. rcarter

rcarter Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I probably would. I have a couple I made from old skateboards and other wood. They are fun to mess around with but I always wanted one that was more bouyant.

19. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    thanks all for the feedback. i am literally and figuratively testing the waters regarding the idea, and so far, there's no legit negative feedback that seems to put the kibosh on it. i'm thinking, this will be my winter project, and I gotta get serious if I want to make it happen. i know some folks who got the manufacturing hookups in China, etc, so I gotta find out how much producing a prototype will cost. i got multiple models in-mind, colours, and all that good sh**. every kid will want one, and they can buy it all by themselves if they skip lunch a few days a week and pocket their momz money. gonna be rich bichez!

20. kidrock

Aug 1, 2010
    Something very similar to this actually existed in the mid to late 70's...believe it or not, it was called the "Hand Plane". Had a little leash attached, pointed nose and fishy tail, it even had a freaking Lightening Bolt painted on it.

Kinda went the way of the Dodo Bird, original Churchills and Primo Wetsuits.