New body glove red cell wetsuite uses infrared tech

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Agabinet, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Www.bodyglove.com/redcell

Uses infrared tech to keep toasty . . . Could this be the answer to winter surf chills? Under 5 bills, cheaper than a good suit plus heated vest or shirt. Anyone got the word on this?

2. surfin

surfin Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2012
    i just ordered mine .Well see how toasty it is .

3. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    5 bills? Bro. I charge in as low as 3F air and 36F air water with howling 25mph offshores and a 5/4 Drylock ($240 half price on Whiskey's) makes me sweat. Take your 5 bills and pay up your health insurance premium and find our some possible cure for your Rhainoids syndrome.

4. Agabinet

Agabinet Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    Oh to be young and well insulated again . . .

5. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I saw that ad and wondered if it works! If you get one, review it here. The cold is what prevents me from surfing Vancouver Island when I visit some family up there. And San Diego when i visit my surfing family there.....Floridians get cold easily, especially senior women... Ocean drops below 65 and it feels frigid.

6. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
  7. Ryan McCall

Ryan McCall Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Interesting for sure, I used to love my old bodyglove, until the zipper jammed and I had to get a friend to cut it off me.

8. RhodyPedro

RhodyPedro Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    i must be missing something; the material is red and what else? All I found was a bunch of hype and no substance. Is there another link that actually discusses the science?

9. santiago58

santiago58 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I am deciding between the isurus and the new xcel, supposedly you can go 4/3 hooded all winter with the isurus. hefty price tag but seams to be worth it.

10. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    No bro I really think some of you have thermoregulation issues. You guys gonna make it? Hope so.

11. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    The Xcel website has a link to this website of the company (Celliant)) that I guess patents the fiber technology that Xcel is using which "harnesses the energy your body emits and converts it to heat" Don't know about the Body Glove tech. My guess is the same thing?

http://celliant.com/

12. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    I think you mean Raynaud's.. and no, surfing in sub 40 degree water demp when it's 15 degrees outside with winds of 25mph isn't Raynaud's, that's borderline hypothermia.

Good for you grabbing that suit, it looks pretty sick. Definitely looking forward to the review.

13. CManRI

CManRI Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I don't think they make the redcell in a hooded version which would prevent its use during a winter in New England.

14. shorepoints

shorepoints Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Both the Body Glove and Xcel material are "infared" materials which claim to absorb solar/body heat and return it to the body. Not really new tech, infared fabrics have been around for a little while. Body Glove doesn't have a hooded red-cell suit yet but it will probably come out Fall 2015.