NEW FCS II Screwless Fin System! You guys seen this?

Discussion in 'Surfboards and Surfboard Design' started by UnseenX, Jan 12, 2013.

1. UnseenX

UnseenX Member

Oct 17, 2012
    just realized they changed the link, updated the link at top of the post.

2. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    i've finally got myself simplified & dialed in on the fin front...i really just want them to keep making the fusions plug. as stated previously, i just don't see the need for a screwless system. i like the fins i have now...the company i get my fins from has far superior quality control & customer service than FCS ever has & i don't want to have to start form scratch & figure it all out again.

3. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    What fins do you use? Company, not specific type

4. waterbaby

waterbaby Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2012
    ^^ yeah, what other brand fins are you talking about? Why would you keep that a secret? I do agree, though, QC on FCS PC fins are sketchy at best

I have a set GF M-5 and PC-5 in front of me right now. Main difference is the weight...PC-5 are only 8 grams (.3 ounce) less than the M-5, which is really nothing. They both have a practically identical flex. Not worth the $50 price difference...unless you're a weight weenie or got money to burn

as far as fusion plugs, they need work. The holes being stretched longer for fin position adjustment is a good idea on paper, but doesn't actually work very well. First, the amount of possible adjustment is so minimal, it's not going to change the way the board surfs. The other thing is, once the screws dig into the tab the first time, that's where the screw is going to want to end up every time...so, when I try to move the fin, it just migrates back to the same position. When I can force it, I either end up with one fin slightly farther forward than the other...or just just say eff it and let the screw dig in the same old rut.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  5. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i wasn't trying to keep it secret. i've discussed it at (semi) length on other threads; i didn't want to beat a dead horse. apologies.
    i use SOAR fins, a company out of australia. http://www.soarfin.com/. they're pricey, b/c you have to pay for shipping from down under, but given the quality & performance, i think it's worth it. specifically, i use the Classic LE8. it's a solid fiberglass construction, which is still the best feeling & performing material, IMO.

FWIW, the LE8 is what mick fanning used on his boards in '07 (the year he won his 1st world title) & as a template when he signed on w/ FCS & began developing his signature fin. there are no significant differences between the MF-1 from FCS & the SOAR LE8 in template, but the foil is more refined. & as a bigger (190lbs) & more powerful surfer, glass has the best available flex pattern for my surfing. glassflex (aka: plastic) is so soft as to be useless & the "pro-core" or RTM fins are only marginally better...the only exception being the MF-1, since it has the carbon fiber/kevlar matrix built into the fin panel.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  6. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    42... I agree with everything you said except I would put composite core fins high on the list, right between solid glass and pro-core. I ride the pro-core fins on most shortboards, because I'm ok with the flex/weight tradeoff over solid glass. I do like a wider base on those fins to help add some drive. Not willing to take the leap of faith to screwless... yet.

7. lbsurfer

lbsurfer Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2009
    or you could get a box that doesn't pop out as much as the plugs. Structurally, FCS plugs make absolutely no sense. I've had plenty of friends who've had their FCS plugs pop out while I've had no issue with lokbox or future. IMO, lokbox has one of the best boxes but I prefer future because there's more templates and they're easier to come by. If future made a box that was more of an elliptical shape like lokbox I wouldn't ride anything else.

8. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    i thought i was ok w/ RTM fins as well, but the more i rode solid glass, the more convinced i became that there wasn't a comparison. i'll still use RTM fins as rears in quads, b/c a little more flex there isn't a bad thing, but the added response & drive that i've been getting out of my boards w/ all glass fins has been eye opening.
    i think it's possible that the large base you favor on your RTM fins may be compensating for the drive lost by the flexibility of the fins. you might find that you're ok w/ a smaller based, stiffer fin.
    just some thoughts...everyone has their own preferences & RTM fins clearly work for a lot of people...they work for me, too. i just like solid glass better.

9. UnseenX

UnseenX Member

Oct 17, 2012
  10. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009

that doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know. but i'm disappointed that they won't be doing any of the "essential series" fins in solid glass. those templates look great, but (as i've said who knows how many times now) i'm not stoked on those composite fin lay ups. plain old solid glass is where it's at for me.

11. es-dot

es-dot Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2013
    just got this system on a custom lost and they are really solid, now im just waiting for my shop to get some of the fins in.

12. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    well, i decided to be a guinea pig. ordered up a new roberts white diamond & went w/ the fcs 2 plugs, figuring i can always just take advantage of the backward compatibility & use my SOAR fins if i don't like what fcs has to offer.

13. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Cool... We need a user report on the fin sys and a ride report on the white diamond, ASAP.

Oh, the sacrifices we make for our SI brothers...

14. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    lol...yea, it's a sacrifice, alright...my wife's gonna kill me when she finds out i've ordered another board.

the board prob. won't be here till mid-april or may, so i'll have to dig up this thread again to post a ride report/fcs 2 review. but rest assured, i will do so!

15. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Get her a new pair of shoes. Thanks for taking one for the team bro. By the time you get to ride it, I will be ordering a custom shortboard so I am also waiting for your update.

16. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    I am making a hplb with a fin box in the center, and I was thinking of FCS sidebites. Would it make a difference if I did glass ons for the sides? I want this board to be able to surf overhead waves. It is 9'2" and 21.5" wide with lots of rocker. So assuming it can handle larger surf, should I go glass in on the sides? Will it go faster and hold speed better on turns and cutbacks?

17. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    it'll definitely surf more like a thruster w/ the sidebites, but glassing them on will eliminate any possibility of trying the board as a straight single. if you go w/ a solid glass or rtm pair of removebles, there really shouldn't be any differences in feel vs. glassed on.

18. njsurfer42

Nov 9, 2009
    this is #3 for the year already :eek: it might take more than just a new pair of shoes...even if she is very patient & understanding w/ regards to my habit/obsession. she's just gonna be annoyed that i didn't discuss it w/ her beforehand. we're going to panama for our anniversary...what was i supposed to do? not order a new board(s) for the trip??

19. sisurfdogg

Jun 17, 2013
    Good advice! Thanks!

20. Slashdog

Slashdog Well-Known Member

May 22, 2012
    Good call man. You won't have to worry about losing a fin screw in rural Panama anymore, that's for sure.

Disfruta ...