New glass job on an old board

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by McLovin, Feb 22, 2011.

1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Does anybody here have any experience with re-glassing their boards? I have an 8' that is pretty much my longboard. It was my 2nd board and I love the thing, it's my magic board. The shape is perfect, and you can trim and do turns on the thing easily. I used it on the bigger days, and during Hurricane Bill. The only problem is that it's a Bilt so they butchered the original glass job, typical of these type of boards. There are some pressure dents on the deck, some cracks around the rails that I patched up, and a big crack on the squash tail (from a friend who used it but stood the board up on concrete) that I also fixed w/ layers of suncure resin.

The board is still in good shape and I use it once in a while, but within the next year or two I'd like to take it somewhere to get a new glass job to restore it to a nearly new condition. Do you think re-glassing a board will compromise how it rides significantly? Would a better quality cloth make the board heavier? If you had a favorite board that eventually reaches the point of being in bad shape, would you take the risk of getting it re-glassed?

I don't know much about this stuff, my other boards are from shapers, and are in good condition. This is my only "brand" name board. I'm debating whether a glass job would be a good idea, or just set aside a month or two and have the dings/cracks professionally repaired.

2. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Austin does it. Go to his shop and check it out. He's had some in the racks, awaiting pick up and they looked really nice. He's doing an old Spectrum for me now!

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Not sure what you mean by "reglassing"

If you mean having stripping all of the glass off the blank, and reglassing. I've done it twice, its a huge messy project, and will probably cost more than its worth. The weight will not change noticeably, if you dont want them to glass it heavier.

It sounds like the board isnt delaminating all over the place, so i'd go with your second option...just get the dings repaired properly.

4. DaMook

DaMook Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    x2
    unless its a valuable vintage board its not worth the effort. fix the cracks and dings.

5. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    If you really love the shape of the board, then your best is to have somebody copy that board and try to remake it as close as possible. Reglassing a board is very expensive and has the chance of not working out.

6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    That's another path that I'm looking at. I've always heard guys talking about new glass jobs on their boards, and I thought to myself that it was a routine task that shapers did all the time, but didn't really think about the time and effort it would take to take out the old fiberglass, while maintaining the integrity of the foam. Cost would probably be close to a price of a new board.

I'll still take it to a local shaper and see what they think, but as for now, it looks like I'm just gonna have to fix the dings myself.