New summer board (RNF)

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by JerzMan, Aug 25, 2009.

1. JerzMan

JerzMan Member

Aug 9, 2008
    So I'm saving up my money to buy a new summer small wave board in the spring. I want something that will last a long time, so I'm looking into boards that aren't just the regular PU construction. I love the ...Lost Round Nose Fish (a friend has one) and was looking at going for the RNF Quad in the XTR construction. Anybody ride these boards? Are they really durable or just ok?

I also emailed the guys at Coil and they said they could do an RNF type board. My friend got a 6'1" roundpin from Coil and likes it.

So... anyone ride XTR or Coil (or even better, both) and if so, what do you think?

2. Exit98

Exit98 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Rode both... Got rid of the XTR to get a Coil, but only because I didn't like the shape, not the board. Neither board had/ has a ding to speak of. I like the feel of the Coil better though.

3. Gnarly

Gnarly Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Don't go with the round nose fish. Get the Lost Rocket it's epic.

4. JerzMan

JerzMan Member

Aug 9, 2008
    sorry the title of the thread is kind of not right... whatever. I'm asking more about the materials, so anyone who has a XTR or Coil please tell me what you think. BTW, has XTR actually stopped the delam problem with there little holes, or is that BS?

5. mofosurfer.com

mofosurfer.com Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Hmmm... I'm usually over a board in a year or so and looking at something else to ride, trade, add to my quiver. I guess I'm more interested in the shaper and design than how long the gear will last me.

No, I'm not made of money. But I figure I can buy a very nice board locally shaped for between $500 to $600. I figure I will ride it two to three times a week, that would be 104 to 156 times a year. Lets split the dif and call it an even 130 sessions. That's a year. If you only kept your board for one year, that works out to about $4.62 a session.
    Not bad. Besides, I am wanting something new after a year or so on the same board.

Why not buy a board based on shaper instead of materials used?

Sorry, I just don't understand.