New Weather and Surf Forecasting Forum

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by SI_Admin, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    There's was a study published not to long ago, stating that 98%.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Scientists and Science Professors SHOULD be stating science, and not opinions. Science is NEVER fact, but we go off a the data and experiments that we have in front of us.

In my climate program, no professor ever said that air temperatures were going to rise in 20 years. They talked about the studies that have been done that may or may not have indicated such effects.

In my program, one Prof was a sort of skeptic... He didn't deny global warming, but he was a stats guy, and said that there wasn't conclusive environmental measurements to persuade with statistical certainty.

3. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
  4. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    the fact that they changed the accepted "name" from global warming to climate change...is enough for me. What a crock!

Not to mention we'll overpopulate the earth or destroy it with nuclear weapons way before this minute temperature increase does a dam thing to our civilization. "climate change"/ global warming is nothing but a money train.....wake up!!

What's your belief? Are humans parasites here to consume the earth? Are we the end all be all or are we just another being living off the host (earth) until the next stronger, smarter, more resilient adaptive species takes over?

5. havanasand

havanasand Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Not to change the subject but since my last post I just got out of the water and VB was head high with offsx winds about 10-15kts. Not a soul out but me.

Anyway, I understand humans and their contraptions have a direct impact on Earth's climate. However, there is no excuse to try and capitalize on it by implying that its the fault of the hard working middle class who are going to end up getting taxed on it "for the good of the people". Hey, I'm not a scientist but I can spot a good con scheme when I see one.

6. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Just curious to who capitalizes off of Global Warming?

7. havanasand

Aug 9, 2011
    "In a speech given to the US Senate Committee on the Environment and Public Works on July 28, 2003, entitled "The Science of Climate Change",[7] Senator James Inhofe (R-Okla) concluded by asking the following question: "With all of the hysteria, all of the fear, all of the phony science, could it be that man-made global warming is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people?" He has claimed "some parts of the IPCC process resembled a Soviet-style trial, in which the facts are predetermined, and ideological purity trumps technical and scientific rigor."[8] Inhofe has suggested that supporters of the Kyoto Protocol such as Jacques Chirac are aiming at global governance.[9]" Taken from here if you would like to read more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming_conspiracy_theory

There is a mass of information out there to support some of the assertions in the wiki. I suggest you at least look at both sides and realize that not everyone who keeps pushing this agenda like there's no tomorrow have our best interests at heart. Do you really think a majority of the people who seemed most concerned give a damn about our Earth? Think about it.

8. LOSTsoul

Apr 29, 2009
    The very scientist that study it and the statistics make money by proving it. There whole existence is to prove it. Kinda like scientists trying to find the cure for aids or cancer. The money train stops if the cure is found. Same goes for climate change, the money train stops if the numbers don't match up. Those (generally speaking) studying climate change already believe it to be man made therefore they are trying to prove it...not proving whether or not it's correlated to man.

not to even mention, GE (light bulbs), Solyndra (solar cells), etc, etc, etc....Al Gore, etc, etc....it's a gravy train of money not to mention a way to control the masses. Control what we buy, control how we think, control what we do.

Like I said previously, do you really think the end of this planet will be because of global warming? Mind you the avg temperature has risen like not even a degree in the past 100 years. It's like triage in the medical field. If you come in with a broken arm and another guy comes in having a heart attack..guess who's gonna be getting the medical attention? Not you. Global warming would be the guy with the broken arm.....the real problems to this planet are way beyond man made global warming. The problem is is that there's money to be made in the global warming hysteria...it's easy pickings. We as humans (civilization) will not die from temperature warming, sea level rise, etc. It's a crock. What happens if the earth we live on goes through some sort of tectonic armageddon......an ash plume/fall out can wipe out the sun for months. I can go on and on. The moral is: global warming is the least of our problems. Those that chose to place it front and center are either idealistically mistaken or collecting dough off of it.

9. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Do you realize how much climate scientists/profs make? not much...

10. LOSTsoul

Apr 29, 2009
    You've obviously already bought into it. It's a paradigm that's most scientists will never see out of. I studied environmental science in college and was bought in as well...then as got older and developed a greater frame of reference i realized it's small peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

C'mon....Don't minimize the money/population control train by selectively referencing what climate scientist make. It's way broader than that.

11. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    please use the search button and click on the thread 'global warming'

12. Harhar

Harhar Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    The earth has natural cycles warmer and colder, and natural phenomenon that impact the climate, but it is naive too think that all of our activities as a civilization have not impacted current climate. But Al Gore needed a cause after he lost the election, and he already invented the internet, so here we are.

13. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    So what are your thoughts on the neutral ENSO conditions this year causing average to below average surf for the south east this winter??? Also i think if the ENSO switches Pos we could be in for a crappy 2012 hurricane season next year. Thoughts???

14. surfingwasteland

surfingwasteland Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I didnt read any of the other posts so I am not sure if this has been said but... The earth has a history of going through warming and cooling periods. Global warming is a real phenomenon, however; its not bad for the earth. This is not to say that human induced pollution is to be forgotten about, but it is not the sole reason for the earth going through a phase that has happened numerous times in its millons of years of life. Al Gore wasn't wrong about global warming, he was wrong by saying it was solely because of human pollutants. The human race is like any other species on the planet and will eventually come to an end. I am just glad I wont be around for another ice age... that **** would suck... new england winters are enough for me

15. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Well this thread was an epic fail. Over 4 pages of deuche wanna be scientists talking about a theory popularized by a half retarded vp. Who cares about global warming and what you have to say about it... Let's see some real discussion about surfing related material.

16. havanasand

Aug 9, 2011
    Well, to keep it surfing related...You can take the money that you're going to start being charged for a "carbon based tax" sometime in the very near future because the gov't is so concerned about Mother Earth. In one year of paying that tax, it will probably equal the cost of that plane ticket you were thinking about buying to get out of Folly Beach and surf some real waves. I digress, caught one of the best sessions I ever had when I lived in Folly. Hurricane Bonnie circa 1998. Surfer mag did a spread on it. H-O-L-L-O-W and plenty of broken boards.

17. PatSayJack

PatSayJack Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Plastic is a much bigger threat to us. Maybe we should start talking about that....

18. ripthegnar

ripthegnar Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2010
    My response to the global warming part of this thread is 1. The latest report I have read says carbon dioxide is at it's lowest atmospheric concentrations is thousands of years and 2. plants need CO2 to breath.

I've taking environmental science courses before so I'm not completely uneducated however I believe there are much more important environmental concerns we have to worry about such as pollution from nuclear reactors (for example Fukishima has put more radiation into the environment than Chernobyl ever did), Genetically Modified Crops, and plastics.

In response to that, I heard we would have a weak La Nina/ strong Arctic Oscillation year which is much like last winter. So wouldn't that translate to an average hurricane season like this year? i don't really think it' gonna switch but consider two summers ago, we had some really nice hurricane swells (Igor, Earl, Danielle) and wasn't that an ENSO year?

And I don't know how good your surf was last winter, however up here in NJ we had long lulls but when the waves came they were pretty solid.

19. Mitchell

Mitchell Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I'm always surprised when skeptics of global warming/climate change mention the idea that global warming is an argument made by researchers and regulators who want to capitalize off global warming and global warming related research and regs.

Seems to me that there is far more of a profit motive to argue AGAINST global warming. The way i see it, the oil companies, auto industry, electric utilities, manufacting sector, agribusiness, and countless others would immediately see their profits and stock prices skyrocket if unlimited CO2 emissions suddenly became perfectly acceptable due to global warming being shown to be a falsehood.

So if you really believe research is biased by profit motive, i'm pretty sure there's more profit to be made DIS-proving global warming than proving it.

20. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    well said...