New York Long Island tomorrow

Discussion in 'Weather and Surf Forecasting' started by highvelocity, Jan 1, 2014.

1. highvelocity

highvelocity Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I have time to get wet Friday but have never been in the water when it was 15 degrees out and 20 mph winds. Water is still real warm. Any advice tips words of encouragement or most likely discouragement. I usally change into my suit when i get to the beach and change outside when I'm done. I will most likely have my suit on before I get there surf a couple leave my truck on and get plastic rap for my seats for the ride home. I figure I should be pretty warm like this.

2. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't know what you consider "real warm", but the water is in the low 40's.

3. Mattyb

Mattyb Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2013
    haha! I was just going to say that! Friday is going to be big and scary in the morning, early afternoon. If you think the water is still warm you may want to shoot for dp on Saturday morning. Have fun. I do the garbage bag on seat for ride home after winter surf but I only live 8 minutes from my favorite spot.

4. wavehog1

wavehog1 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2013
    My advice would be to stay home, save up your money and take a trip south! That's just so wrong to subject your balls to 40 degree water!

5. mookieo2

mookieo2 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    I was thinking about stopping by Long Beach on my way home from work Friday afternoon. Even though Ill have another 30min ride home from there IF I go in I'll be driving home with my suit on. I'll probably wait until Sat morning where It'll be a little warmer.

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    I've not been at it the longest but I've surfed enough in arctic temps to donate advice when asked. My offerings:
    1) have a form-fitting suit of at least 5/4 thickness
    2) keep as much of you in the water (and out of air/wind) as you can on Friday
    3) once you feel really cold, you've got 5 minutes to get out of the water and another 5 to get in your vehicle with heat; any longer than that on either and you'll be Parkinson's if not unable to contract muscles and you don't want that occurring in the water
    4) expect #3 to occur soon after you get washed out a second time or much after 60-90 minutes depending on temps and quality/thickness of your wetty
    5) once you warm up at home following a near hypo experience, you'll enjoy the best buzz of your life; no drug can compare to getting back to homeostasis after slight hypo as the body/mind seem to be self-medicating quite well with endogenous substances

For those that want to wear the wetty home, just but cheap neoprene seat covers. They sell for 50-80$ and look fine. Leave window slightly cracked after a sesh and they'll have dried out by the time you sit back in it after getting home.

7. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    East swell on long island usually means arm burn times 20. I would expect to see a lot of current, possibly enough to wreck the conditions.
    as far as driving and putting suit on.... I think it would be smart to put hot water into a couple large jugs and put them into a cooler in your car. by the time you're finished they won't be hot but they will be warm enough to help with getting out of the suit and washing your feet etc. I would try to get out of the suit before the drive home if possible. might not be an option though.

8. Boarder44

Boarder44 Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Put your suit on at home
    Put on towel on your seat
    Rash guard or under armor under the suit actually helps
    Vaseline your face if that doesn't bother you

9. highvelocity

highvelocity Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2012
    I'm about 30 to 40 minute ride to my break. Thanks for all the tips i will go check it out and if it looks good ill be hitting the water.

10. windswellsucks

windswellsucks Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2007
    make sure you got a warm suit with no leaks/tears! also earplugs like EQSeals are a good idea

11. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    True that on no tears/leaks. Those will give you burns on the skin that you won't so much notice til you're home. Not the best for the epidermis. The ear plugs are a smart idea with surfer's ear looming.

12. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Second this. Don't over think it. Towel on the seat is fine, and spend as little time as possible standing outside your car securing boards, etc. despite the great feeling you get from the people walking by saying "YOU'RE NUTS". No need to keep the car running while you're in the water. It will warm up fast if you drove it 1/2hr on the way to the break.

Once home, the booties come off in the garage then I walk straight into the shower to remove the wetty. Once the suit is off (this happens to be the hardest part of the whole experience), shower ensues and bliss is achieved. After that, lots hearty breakfast foods.

13. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    this is the most valuable piece of advice on here. changing on the street in those conditions is foolhardy & dangerous & a quick way to chill yourself down before even getting in the water. after you surf, drive straight home in your suit & walk right into the shower & take your suit off there.
    the vaseline idea is a good one as well.

14. worsey

worsey Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2013
    no no no - no vaseline

i suppose it works but its THE LAST THING you want on the deck of your board..

15. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    its really not that bad... I mean it can be cold, but I wouldn't worry too much. if you got a new suit that does not leak, you will be fine. really.
    the worst is changing in and out of your suit. change in your truck, or just drive with it on. if you drive with it on- put a contractor trash bag on your seat and then a towel. also if you drive far- there will be a lot of drips on your floor. but you will be warm...

16. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    you just put it on your face...cheeks & lips...so they don't freeze in the wind. if your face is contacting the deck of your board, well, i think you've got bigger worries.

17. stinkbug

stinkbug Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Honestly if you have never surfed in these conditions, tomorrow will probably not be the day to start.
    There's a gale warning and it will probably be 8-10 foot. It will be quite challenging surfing tomorrow.
    The water is about 42 degrees. That is real warm?

18. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I know people that use Vaseline, but I never do. Not because of fear of getting it on my board. Just because I don't like that greasy crap on my face

19. MFitz73

MFitz73 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Isnt the story with vaseline about being bad for wetsuits? its causes the material to dissolve over a short time?

20. Mad Atom

Mad Atom Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    I agree. Was he thinking about a situation where you'd have vaseline on your arse that could transfer to the board while sitting? If so, that's gross.