Nfla vs. Central fla

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by beachbreak, Jul 21, 2017.

1. beachbreak

beachbreak Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2008
    So i have been to indialantic, and been to atlantic/neptune/mayport. There was always something rideable. We have guys here from fernandina on down. Is nfla or central fla more consistent/rideable/quality? Considering my snowbird retirement. Please advise. Where would you choose to live november through april?

2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Georgia is most consistent, try there.

3. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Shhhh.....heard Key West is really good year 'round.....serious.

4. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok thanks

5. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok thanks

6. eatswell

eatswell Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I think I'd rather live in Central Florida than Northern Florida. My grandparents had a house in Ormond Beach and retired there, and I spent the Summers there as a kid. Some people considered that Northern Florida, but I figured it was more Central. It wasn't really a surfing hot spot, but I hadn't really started surfing or at least hadn't gotten really into it when I summered there as a kid. Ponce Inlet and New Smyrna are about 30-45 minutes south of there and are good places for surfing.

My good friend lives in Jacksonville and surfs. He likes it, but said he might have rather moved a little further south, like to New Smyrna area or even Cocoa Beach/Brevard. He got a job offer in Jax and took it because it was on the coast and anything that wasn't on the coast was a dealbreaker for him, as was being on the Gulf.

I've read differing opinions on the matter and just haven't spent any long term time in Florida during my surfing tenure. Sebastian Inlet is pretty damn good, from what I hear. A lot of people compare it to Manasquan. If you weren't snowbirding/retiring, I would say the job situation doesn't seem as promising on a lot of the Central coast area. Perhaps I'm wrong on that.

7. Schwazo

Schwazo Member

Sep 12, 2009
    N v Central Florida?

I hope you know that people are screwing with you.

Anyhow, I lived in Staug (St Augustine) for 7 years and spent winters watching the swell trains pass by on their way to Palm Beach.

Anywhere around the Palm Beach/Martin county line is best- and that's a fact!

Anything further south misses out and anything north is better in the summer, but you said you're a snow bird.

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Just messing with you. I could have moved anywhere I wanted and chose Melbourne. Take from that what you will.

9. soulrider

soulrider Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Agree with schwazo... I lived in west palm year round...fall-spring is pretty rocking down south and no wetsuit needed except maybe a top or shorty on windy days on NE swells. I would surf at least 3 days a week often more. Up north is a little more consistent so if you could settle around Jenson you would be in easy proximity to any swell that comes through...

10. Schwazo

Schwazo Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Melbourne is good year-round and Jensen for the winter. Someone else is posting the same question.

11. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    I will retire to the land of no wetsuits for 4-6 months a year, the good Lord willin', if'n the crick don't rise.

Thank you. I know a joke when i see one. They don't want to blow up their secret spots in cfla or nfla. I do appreciate your insight/experience.

12. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    Although I chose CFL, if I ended up with NFL, I'd still be stoked. You really can't go wrong. You should be more concerned with water temps. In CFL, you can get away with nothing more than a 3/2 in winter, board shorts majority of the year. In NFL you'll want a 4/3 for winter and less time in board shorts.

13. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Extremely important point i never considered!
    I think that is a relatively short window of 'cold' water, considering i surfed there no suit a couple times recent years Christmas and Easter, but yeah, thanks, i would prefer never going below 60 if i can. It is so cold here in jersey. I go to hatteras in no suit and guys from fla are in 3/2's sometimes.

14. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Wimp.....

15. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    It's a noticeable difference, ask KahunaKai, he has been in Jax for a while and is a regular at the poles. He comes down to Melbourne often and is probably moving down this way soon.

16. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    Surfing in the cold is for the birds... I ain't proud.

17. beachbreak

Apr 7, 2008
    I know. Tony at cos at jax pier said they wear 4/3's with boots at a certain point. 40 years of this is enough for me. Especially with my arthuritis. I can barely get up on my feet anymore as it is.

18. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

That makes all the difference in the world. You have been de-wimped.....

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Do the math, Nov - April = Port Fierce

20. fl.surfdog

fl.surfdog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Awwww, c'mon, Ft.Pierce sucks, the locals are assho!es, plus the parking is waaaay better in WPB.