NJ Lifeguards

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123, Aug 25, 2016.

1. The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123

The Screen Name Formerly Known As ABC123 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I was listening to 101.5 talk radio here in central jerz yesterday, and they were having a debate whether or not ocean lifeguarding is necessary. Basically, the radio host said lifeguards are unecessary and if people want to swim at their own risk, then so be it. She went on to say that sitting on the lifeguard stand, watching patrons in the water "can't be that difficult".

Apparently, there was an article recently published in a local newspaper on LBI, sharting on the lifeguards in that area. Anyone familiar?

I know the east coast isnt the north shore or the wedge, but obviously it gets pretty heavy from time to time.

Thoughts?

2. ecoastprock

ecoastprock Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2008
    I think that lifeguards sole responsibility should be saving swimmers. When lifeguards start enforcing every rule on the beach with a sense of authority it becomes unnecessary. Lifeguards need to stick to saving lives, not become the beach police.

3. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Im nags head ocean rescue and lifeguarding is absolutely necessary on beaches. I can vouch that hundreds of people would be seriously hurt or would die without us down here. We don't really enforce the laws. We inform the public. And if they don't decide to listen, then we call the police if it comes to that. We're about to get some swell and I can guarantee that we will have some rescues, hell even on the flat offshore days we still have people getting blown out to sea we have to bring in. If we didn't enforce the town laws people would get hurt. Granted, nags head is pretty mellow as far as laws on the beach go. Don't know about up in the jerz

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    i know some guards that are really good watermen and are crucial in their roles of protecting benny/shoebie bathers from their own stupidity. i also know some guys that are total cheese balls and are equally as absent minded or stupid then the benny/shoebies they're supposed to be protecting.

5. ihatelongboarders

ihatelongboarders Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    They whistle too much.

they whistle cause you're doing something stupid.

They make you swim in a narrow corridor so they don’t have to turn their heads too much to watch the ocean.

they're keeping you out of the rips

Since they sit higher than us, they think they’re closer to God.

it's so they can see your kook keister

They’re generally kinda cranky (Because they got into it thinking that they’d be working with Pamela Anderson, and they’re not.)

they're cranky cause you're swimming outside the flags about to get dragged 100 yards off the beach

We pay to get on the beach, yet they don’t even offer me a cocktail.

go to d'jais

They never give me a ride on their little boat.

go take a ride on the cock robin toots

They have a much better tan than I do.

cause you spend more time on the parkway then the beach

Even though they generally have great bodies, I can’t ogle them because they’re half (or a third) of my age.

drinks on me at the columns

They get a much better view than the rest of us since no one can really block them.

see above answer

When they get bored they secretly wish you’d drown so they have something to do.
    Oh. And they whistle too much. (Did I mention that?)

and they wonder why we tell them to go home all the time

6. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    It's swimme

N who the fok r u guyz...deputize surfers - prob solved

7. backside hack

backside hack Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Irrespective of rips, the size of the swim areas on LBI is a joke. People piled on top of each other in between their stupid flags. Widen them up boys, c'mon. Guards in Cali literally sprint half a mile down the beach to save people. I'm sure an extra hundred feet in either direction won't lend to mass death!!

8. Gnarbutter

Gnarbutter Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Agreed, Hack. Beach down these ways get pretty hectic, can't tell ya how many shoobs I've crushed on the trusty 'ol Farias boogie.

With that being said, my digs is on 21st in spray beach, and the surfing beach is right next to the lifeguard stand, so expand the swimming beaches somewhere else, I don't need no more kooks clogging up my waves.

9. jaklsurfs

jaklsurfs Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Some of these lifeguards are college kids from inland areas and really dont have much experience and i see em their phones all day there isnt a lot of commitment on part of city here to get better lifeguards.they dont act like lifeguards cant tell their lifeguards by the way they swim . When i was living on oahu i saw the real deal lifeguards at work and training ,now they are professionals and really thats what the coastal cities should invest in. trained lifeguards are becoming scarce and are worth their weight in gold to a tourist caught out in rip

10. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Amigos, we don't need no stinking lifeguards!!!

11. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    The problem with guards is that the majority know squat about the ocean.

12. Toonces

Toonces Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2016
    Like any job, you're going to get some real pros mixed in with the amateurs. When I guarded we had a pretty solid training and PT schedule. That didn't make me great, but it did make me fit and I had at least enough smarts to grab someone and keep them afloat until help arrived if required.

I absolutely think we need guards on east coast beaches. As surfers we take a lot for granted about ocean knowledge. A lot of these folks that visit for a weekend a year simply don't understand the ocean.

13. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Simply put, without surf rescue/ocean rescue/lifeguards etc whatever you'd like to classify us as, people would die. Left and right. There'd be bodies washing up on east coast beaches.

To address the 'rule enforcement' issue - Here in Ocean City, MD we are a division of Emergency Services, part of the Town of Ocean City. The city pays us. They utilize us to enforce ordinances and rules. It's a lot to do, honestly. I do enforce rules, and the 'smoking restriction' ordeal has been in our hands as well. I feel we should be paid more to do that portion (I'm not the only one) but that's what we're there for. We are public servants, we're there to provide a safe and enjoyable beach for all beach-goers.

14. PA_KOOK

PA_KOOK Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2016
    It would certainly help thin out the population a bit!

15. PA_KOOK

PA_KOOK Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2016
    This right here is the simple truth. People are frackin stupid and when you take stupidity and consider that more than half of Americans can't swim or perform basic swimming skills necessary in an emergency situation you have bodies floating in the line up cause you can't pull them out fast enough. http://www.redcross.org/news/press-...Campaign-to-Cut-Drowning-in-Half-in-50-Cities

I suspect we've all had our run ins with beach patrol but they are a necessary part of all public beaches.

16. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    I agree 100% I lifeguarded in Belmar and Sea Girt for 10 years. Looking back, I cant believe the BS that lifeguards have to enforce.

17. CDsurf

CDsurf Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    You should have seen some of the sorry SOB's that they let guard the beach. could barely swim themselves, let alone save someone else.

18. foamieswithmyhomies

foamieswithmyhomies Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Most guards get it, but nothing like seeing a 17 year old guard ride his leash-less rescue board like a log right into a school of kids in the whitewater, which I got to witness firsthand last week. Granted, the kids shouldn't even be there in the first place, but doing stuff like that makes you wonder where some of these dudes are coming from. Don't get me started on them being booze nazis.