No Smoking on Wrightsville beach? Police state?

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by headhigh, Mar 6, 2012.

1. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    So i read today on wblivesurf that Wrightsville Beach may put a BAN on smoking on the beach. while the "powers at be" claim that this is a purely environmental issue, i feel that there are other factors at play. in the past 3 years i have watched parking go up to $2 an hour, cameras installed on the bridge on the island to check cars coming on and off, and now a potential smoking ban. you can even get a ticket on WB if your kid digs in the sand a hole and doesn't fill it in...

not that i like cigarette butts in the environment or anything, i dont even smoke, but it seems to me that WB is tightening the neuse around the proletariat to keep working class people off Wrightsville Beach. in the summer, i would love to go to WB everyday but i simply cant afford it. now if i decide to light up a cigarette on the beach i'm at risk of receiving a fine. i dont smoke, but the thought of someone trampling on my rights gets under my skin.

banning stuff is a slippery slope, and honestly the word BAN makes me think of prohibition and banning books. now, the town of WB is talking about building a skatepark, but i see that as just a reason for WB to BAN skateboarding in the next five or ten years, like wilmington already has.

2. Zippy

Zippy Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I'm an ex smoker and although I would prefer not to smell cigarettes on the beach I think people have the right to do it, it's outside for gods sake. Is this a free country anymore? People don't understand that making new laws and regulations just makes it easier for more laws and regulations to be made. Eventually we will live in a friggin police state, have some tolerance for other people and respect their rights to personal freedom lest yours be taken away.

3. LOSTsoul

LOSTsoul Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Nope.

Buy all your guns and ammo now!! There's a lot of speculation regarding an Obama 2nd term and our right to bear arms.

4. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Classic WB, which is why it is not surprising. Did you also know they want to institute surveillance 24/7 via taking a picture of your license tag when you get over the bridge and taking a picture when you leave? On another note, does anyone really believe we will ever find out the reasons behind 2 WB police being forced to resign and one demoted a little over a month ago?

I grew up on that beach, it hasn't felt like home for decades....

5. ridedasurf

ridedasurf Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    **** um if you gotta smoke um.

6. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    got any more info on this?

huh?

7. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    That's the problem headhigh, they are refusing to make the reasons public. Word on the street is it has to do with improper traffic stops, over-willingness too use tasers and faulty detective work.

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    This has already taken place in the fine state of New Jersey. Its bound to happen everywhere... just like paying to even get onto the beach... along with paying for parking... coming soon to NC! Get ready to pay 8 bucks a day to get onto the beach to surf in the summer! Next, we will need a passport to surf! ...i cant wait...

9. slopman

slopman Well-Known Member

May 7, 2007
    This is why I live in the crusty-redneck-imbred-paradise I call home, Carolina Beach what what!
    On another note, I do not smoke cigs, but I do find it particularly alarming how many butts are thrown on the ground. I work at the Ocean Grill and Tiki Bar and see this type of behavior on a daily basis. We have a ridiculous amount of ashtrays and receptacles available to toss out your cigs, but ignorace still prevails and butts get thrown on the reg.
    I have made people go down and pick up their cigs after I see them toss it. If they refuse, no more Haitian Sucka Punches for you retard.

10. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    CB represent!

My favorite (and I have done it on pretty much every beach in SE NC) is to pick up the trash after seeing someone drop it, run up to them, say "I think you dropped something, looked important so I brought it back to you," and hand their trash back to them. I have seen some of the funniest expressions on people's faces this way!

11. innerbasin

innerbasin Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Ocean Bill

You sound a bit inbred yourself, it wouldn't be wise to refuse service to someone. Especially during the summer

12. Banned for being awesome

Banned for being awesome Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Love the tiki bar, Caroline is one cool girl. Also heard from my cousin that LA county has a new $500 fine in place for throwing a football on the beach. Fun times.

13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    I heard about the Football/Frisbee law in California too. They may get great waves, but that state is so broke they'll try to fine anything to make revenue, like farting in public.

14. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Says IQ2. Someone has to keep people like you from hurting themselves....

15. bensurfn

bensurfn Active Member

Sep 1, 2011
    thank god. I am tired of seeing hundreds of cigarette butts every time i go surfing. Then whenever i ask somebody politely to please throw it in the trash, they role their eyes like im the bad guy. If putting tar into your lungs is so important you can go to the sidewalk for a minute.

16. surfislife

surfislife Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    they need to make cigarette illegal and legalize the weed...

17. zrich

zrich Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    I don't really care about people smoking on the beach, but like a lot of other people have said, why is it deemed acceptable to just throw cigarette butts on the ground (anywhere, beach or otherwise)? I bet if I walked by someone who had just thrown their butt on the ground and unwrapped a piece of gum and threw the wrapper on the ground, they'd think it was wrong. Do cigarette butts evaporate, you slobs?

18. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I don't think it's such a bad idea. It's aimed at reducing litter (cigarette butts) and trying to keep them off of the ground. I don't smoke and I do get annoyed at the amount of people I see toss butts out their car window or while they're walking down the street.

WB has a ridiculous amount of rules, though, and it's always so packed. I can't wait til I move a couple islands down from there in the near future!

19. A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge)

A.E.Z. (Surf & Sponge) Active Member

Jul 28, 2011
    AMEN TO THAT! Marijuana is a herb, naturally grown, a medicine, where cigarettes are made of hazardous chemicals, and they kill millions of people every year (correct me if i'm wrong) and weed hasn't killed anyone..

20. Erock

Erock Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2011
    You need to drop the polite act. Polite should be the last thing on your mind when you see someone littering on your spot.

Anyway, in regards to Wrightsville Beach--they already have litter ordinances on the books. This proposed law is not about litter. If they were concerned about litter, THEY WOULD ENFORCE THE LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS. This is about so much more and typical of the "new" Wrightsville Beach Board of Aldermen that has been in existence for over a decade now--70% or so transplants that haven't even lived in NC for more than a decade much less WB. Their municipal government now resembles more of a hyper HOA than a town government. It's a slippery slope when something like this becomes law, hopefully a citizen of WB will have enough sense and the cojones to take this to court--there's legitimate questionable legality in that.

My opinion at least...