North Carolina Sande Recon - CA Carpetbagger Edition. paging erock

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by za_gaf, Mar 6, 2018.

1. za_gaf

za_gaf New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    let's just say you had a job offer for a nice gig makin shredmachine money in Raleigh-Durham; but you could work from a laptop and you only had to go into the office for a couple of hours every month. most days you'd be working in board shorts, wherever your phone had enough bars. where would you live? if you wanted a nice property, couple of acres, 15-20 minutes from a decent surf spot, but far enough inland that you didn't have to take the brunt of big storms, good schools, a hill to put a house on, and space between you and your neighbors, where would you look? Not suburbs, but not too far from a decent town either? Does such a place exist?

I'm burnt on CA. I'm too much of Southern boy to live out here for longer than 5-10 years at a stint. I miss genuine Southern hospitality, iced-tea, good bbq,better seafood, the Constitution, being able to do what I want with my car, not being looked at funny when you say you're going to Church, not being looked funnier when you say that you like to hunt, being able to hunt, not being taxed to death, and just not so many people. the crap they're doin with the schools out here. I have family in Ashville and farther inland; but I need the ocean. I've always loved North Carolina when I've visited and I want a better place for my family than this crazy state that's going to the birds.

maybe it's just the whisky and the worst winter on the West Coast that I ever remember talking; but I am seriously considering this move. help me out swellers

capecodcdog, La_Piedra and headhigh like this.
  2. za_gaf

za_gaf New Member

Mar 6, 2018
    edgecome? surf city, it's almost like it's meant to be...

3. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

You go to church??
    But seriously, my wife and I love California. It is a great place.....to visit. And as long as you do not talk to any locals, it is pleasant. When we do talk with local residents, we realize that they have the IQ of a bolt (but not all of them).
    But I am looking forward to "the big one", that dastardly earthquake that will turn San Francisco, LA, San Diego into rubble. I just want to see how big of a tsunami it generates, you know, in the 'interest in science" sort of thing. Kind of like Joseph Mengele experimenting on humans type of thing.
    Now, you could always move to Maine. It has a lot of what you describe, plus one other thing--people there are politely unfriendly. And then there is the black flies......
    Oh well, I hope that helps gaf. Yeah, California sucks because of its people, and the waves?? They are not that great either. However, the bikinis.....you might miss those.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2018
  4. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Surf City seems like a winner. Is OBX too far out there and not an option? Like maybe KDH or Nags Head? I would suggest Melbourne FL but people are tired of hearing it I’m sure.

5. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    Man, I think your on the right track. bTW, Headhigh coined a phrase that I liked in the rednecksurfer tread...saltwater redneck.

I have looked at property in just about the entire rural area of eastern NC, searching for the same or similar attributes that you mention.

THe New River Basin from route 17 East gives you many options to surf SE NC and get you to some hunting options too. Not many hills though. The cape blocks a lot of swell but you still get decent waves and the beaches are mellow beach towns along that stretch.

You could look further south and focus on Carolina beach. Look along route 421. I like the surfing set up better there but may be further from good hunting options.

B/c of my roots, family etc, I'm focused more or NE nC. I am currently looking at property off of route 64 (64 allows you to Backdoor outer banks via Manteo). Better surf options, plenty of hunting.

Not sure about schools in any of the areas. In general, I would say that rural NC schools are not going to be top quintile. All of these areas give you decent access to Raleigh especially with the new highway. Also, most areas are more like 30 minutes or more to beach with the slower back roads...especially if you want acreage. Good luck.

NICAfiend and headhigh like this.
  6. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    don't be surprised if they don't serve sweet tea in most restaurants OBX. disturbing to say the least. i'd stay south to avoid the brunt of yanks traveling down

La_Piedra likes this.
  7. ChavezyChavez

ChavezyChavez Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Good to see you back Gaf. Come to rural South Jersey dude. It's almost like someone plopped a little piece of the Deep South in NJ. Plus, you got Philly an hour away with lots of those type of jobs. You got LBI down to Cape May as your surfing playground. Downsides are the winter is longer and the hordes of people from June to September

soulrider likes this.
  8. headhigh

headhigh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Welcome back Gaf. I thought this thread was going to be about how 6 days of solid swell just undid millions of $ in beach re-nourishment.

Pender County NC, has what you are looking for. 20 minutes to the nearest beach, and about an hours drive to many more. Drive north for a couple hours and you are on the banks. The whole "country" atmosphere has really become a double edged sword between the welfare state and opiate addiction, but the tea is sweet as it gets and the BBQ is second to none.

As far as hurricanes, we have been lucky since I moved here 10 years ago. Def look for a hill as the wind is not nearly as bad as the flooding, so I hear.

I love it down here, but i'm in New Hanover County as I need to be close to Wilmington for work. Moving further out into the country is in my 5 year plan.

9. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    If you can afford it, buy as much land in Surf City as you can RIGHT NOW. They are putting in a new and much needed bridge onto Topsail Island and that place is going to explode in the next couple years.

10. your pier

your pier Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2013
    somewhere between sandbridge & Wrightsville beach

if i lived there id still look at you funny if you said you were going to church and didn't have board shorts or a wetty on headed towards the ocean with a bort by your side

good luck

11. La_Piedra

La_Piedra Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Good to have you back Gaff.

Went down to SD in November. I'm so done after that last trip, I'm never going back.

Don't have enough personal experience about the EC, but if I had to relocate tomorrow I would pick something between Emerald Isle and Surf City.

Isn't there a fairly large town less than 30 minutes inland in those parts? And a forest too?

12. CBSCREWBY

CBSCREWBY Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Just outside of Wilmington there is quite a bit of rural land. Columbus County might work. You get some hunting land and I'll get you an owner's sticker for a condo in CB and you won't ever have to worry about parking!

Admin-Glen likes this.
  13. Kyle

Kyle Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    But you'd be right about Melbourne....from the list of things Gaf desires, the Space Coast checks all the boxes.

DawnPatrol321 likes this.
  14. Soup_Sandwich

Soup_Sandwich New Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Or you could stay in SD!!!

notaseal likes this.
  15. Son Bather Bob

Son Bather Bob Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2014
    Thats crazy, im looking near satellite beach myself. SD Is getting too expensive. If I dont get this new jobbe in carlsbad, i think im gonna head that way.
    Gaff, we can go halves on a boat and surf 1's everyday

16. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Come to the banks man. surf is just flat out better than down in wilmignton area. they all come here when its pumping haha. I live in Kill Devil Hills. If you can work from home this is the spot. just right over the bridge in currituck is some good hunting, specially duck hunting. Super Cheap land over there too at the moment. fishing is world class and the shoulder seasons are unbeatable. cost of living isnt outrageous and the people are friendly. if you can put up with the summer crowd in SC you can easily deal with it here. if you have any questions at all PM me man. And if you want some city life the Hampton Roads area is 1.5 hours away.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    nopantsLance likes this.
  17. headhigh

Jul 17, 2009
    Gaff, everyone wants you to live with them and surf at their spot. Which one is it gonna be already? Or are you banned again?

18. Rob_Kelly

Rob_Kelly Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Hey cucks, the guy said he had a job offer in Raleigh-Durham. Not Florida or anywhere else.

headhigh and Barry Cuda like this.
  19. Rob_Kelly

Rob_Kelly Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    If you are a serious Californa shreder why would you even consider North Carolina, epsecialy southern NC. You think this years west winter was bad. SNC is horrid. Please save it people. The place blows and you know it. Yeah I'm sure it's fine for the Internet surfers.

Schools in North CArolina make southern califonia look like Wellesley.

What CA laws violate the constitution. Where does the original constitution allow the outlaw of marijuana.

People in California go to church. Some of the strangest christians exist there.

I hate to tell you chief but the grass ain't any greener on the right side. It's so much worse.

People in Ca are dumb? Wow just wait.

20. BassMon2

BassMon2 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2015
    Damn. There's gotta be a story behind all that hatred.

La_Piedra and Admin-Glen like this.