Now I know what its like (kind of)

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by 252surfer, Feb 17, 2015.

1. 252surfer

252surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Been paddling out here in VB the last 2 days with the snow and the extreme cold for around here. Its been pretty fun out! Can kind of relate to you buoys up north. kind of. hope everyone has been scoring!

2. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

What you are experiencing down there, up here is considered a heat wave.

3. Mattnjsurf

Mattnjsurf Well-Known Member

May 5, 2014
    Water temp 29 degrees

4. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Your bouy thermometer is malfunctioning. Either that or you misread it and are reporting a barometric pressure reading. New England waters, even Northern, are reporting 36-40 deg F. No way NJ waters will have 29F, unless you guys are dumping ice around the bouy. Even an upwelling will not give you a 29F reading.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  5. Mattnjsurf

May 5, 2014
    It's 30 degrees now

6. jettyflea

jettyflea Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Yes, the 30 deg is for sandy hook bay. I would say it's around 34 deg mark for monmouth county. Right now New Jersey water temps are cooler than the New England water temps.

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Does the area get an inflow on "fresh" water from rivers??
    A -10deg F variance is huge. Something ain't right.
    North of Cape Cod the readings are always 10 degrees lower than south of Cape Cod
    Something is amiss..

8. Mattnjsurf

May 5, 2014
    There are blocks of ice floating around my spot

9. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    It's right. The buoys even far offshore are reading 35 and it's always warmer at the offshore buoy. I thinks its even closer to the 32 degree mark for melting snowing that transfers to the water via rivers/bay and also run of from melting snowf. It's ****ing cold. I'm still thinking about getting out there today since the air temp is up but not sure how long I'll last.

10. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    When is that global warming going to kick in? I'm freezing my ass off. Oh wait, it's called climate change now.

11. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
  12. grainofsand

grainofsand Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2014
    @757, did it ever get clen? It looked blown out and side shore the last few days of swell befor VBwinterpocalypse

13. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Grain, It was actually clean at the pier Monday right as it started snowing and then I went out to Croatan rocks yesterday and it was like stomach plus+ and clean for the most part. I haven't seen it breaking out past the end of Croatan rocks in a long time. Fun on my longboard. And it's gonna be a high of 20 here for tomorrow with a low of 8. Coldest since 94 apparently. Humidity and winds makes it feel really cold

14. 252surfer

Dec 1, 2010
    Water is 37 here. Coldest I've surfed in but thanks to my new gloves I can stay out for a long time. Xcel 5 mil drylocks with thermoceliant are anazing

15. Alvin

Alvin Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I remember surfing Croatan last winter with snow on the beach. No one out and just me and perfect clean cold waves. Very sureal.

16. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    The beginnings of Climate Change/Global Warming will actually get us Nor eaters mo' cold.

Just wait until all the melted ice destroys or forever alters the Gulf Stream.

Better surf the east side now before it becomes an icy oil spill zone.

Yeah, dudes:

Surfers Supplies...2 days ago 31F

Channel 6 Action News (Philadelphia ABC affiliate) yesterday....30 F

Do you guys know that not too far off our coast the water is in the 60-70's.

17. jettyflea

Apr 12, 2013
    Tough call if it gets really cold in the future. Empty lineups in the north east or a warm destination with crowded lineups.

18. salt

salt Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    I don't know what the temp was this morning, but it was no 40 degrees. My face and forehead can speak to it. It was crazy crazy cold. Must be mid 30s.

19. cepriano

cepriano Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    under the highlands bridge, right?