obx or California?

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by Sandblasters, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Sandblasters

Sandblasters Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    i love the east coast yall and going to my north counter part doesn't seem to bad ill still be in the south. but then California seems like the coast of living might be higher. but ive been told there are almost empty peaks just down from go to spots. hell are there even any jobs in obx its seems so small.

2. AndrewIfallalot

AndrewIfallalot Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    No jobs in California and no room for anyone else. Sorry.<br /><br /> fuck.jpg

3. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    dude ill go there with my truck blast country music and tell yall boys to suck it. i bet you fall a lot off those waves learn to surf son. jesus there are even sups up there.

4. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Are you talking about traveling or relocating? Either way, its a no brainer. I have said this many times on this very website when I lived out west. If you are surfing super crowded spots ANY time of the year in CA, you just don't know where to go. Some days can be perfect at a "go to" spot. I.E. Lowers, Blacks, Swamis, LJ Reefs, Sunset Cliffs... Some days, it is worth waiting in a lineup to get epic waves. The lineups out there are VERY organized from the most part and heavily regulated as far as ediquiette and dropping in.... There is ALWAYS an uncrowded spot to surf in CA. You will see 20 guys on a spot on Sunset Cliffs and you go to a few others and they are either empty or got 1-2 guys on it. Then you decide, is it worth getting 30 waves in 2 hours at a pretty good spot, or is it worth waiting for 6 or 7 sick ones with a crowd....

There is no comparison between the two really. As far as on a annual basis. Every dog has its day and OBX gets SICK... But there is no question really. It is what it is....

Look at the shots from Ocean Beach, SF on MSW... There are two guys out.... Its 20 feet and perfect.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    One word, Belmar.

#onceyougobelmaryou'llnevergoback

6. AndrewIfallalot

Aug 24, 2012
    I love Country Music. Now do you listen to Country or that *** **** like Jason Aldean?

SUPs can burn in hell as well. We probably have more in common than you think.

7. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Cali is sickkk. Plenty of work if you're hungry.

If you can, go! I been having a blast for the past 3 years, not coming "home" anytime soon.

8. surfmore21

surfmore21 Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Although I have never been out to CA before, I did grow up on the Outer Banks so I can weigh in on the east coast... Yes, when there is a NE swell/hurricane swell, the OBX is the best place to be.... heavy barrels for days. I moved to Wilmington, NC in 2007 and surf twice as much as when I lived on the outerbanks... granted it never gets as epic as the OBX, but I surf on a more consistant basis... I can almost gurantee that there is a more consistant waive in CA vs. OBX and it still gets as epic in CA. As far as crowds go... you can find a spot on the OBX by yourself if you really wanted to... its weird not as many locals surf there as you would think... most are the VB kooks that come down

9. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Dude-skis why travel all the way over there when you got the best break in North America here in the garden state?

#emptylineupsinbelmarnj

10. AndrewIfallalot

Aug 24, 2012
    Its called California. Cali is a city in Colombia

11. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Haha. All of us transplants made that mistake until the locals continuously call you out for it.

12. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    aldean is alright. but i listen from hank all the way to alan jackson and beyond. around here we dont give bad vibes to people unless they want to start something. you know where laid back southern dudes.

13. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You could always kill yourself, with the goal being that of an afterlife in Southern Cal.....

14. Sandblasters

May 4, 2013
    ^ could i take you out with me?

15. Wave Maven

Wave Maven Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Quit surfing. Move to Belmar or nothing.

16. davincimoon

davincimoon Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Uh, tell it to this guy...And there is enough transplants out there where I think it's alright use 'Cali'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdizL4on-Rc

17. banxsurfer

banxsurfer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    The banx is where it's at if you can make a living. Almost all of us locals struggle to survive. It really takes two incomes to have a home and surf on the regular....trust me. California is awesome and even though it's expensive it really is no worse than the banxs. We make crap money but but have empty firing surf and soul. How many towns have that on offer?

18. yankee

yankee Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    You know the saying.....die trying....

19. zach619

Jan 21, 2009
    Well played sir. Makes me want to spend a fall and winter in OBX now =)