OBX Question

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by jonmharrell, Apr 13, 2011.

1. jonmharrell

jonmharrell Active Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Im going down to OBX and the end of June, we are staying closer to more near Nags Head. What are the waves usually like that time. I was going to bring my 7'3 and thats all. I assume it will just be knee high.

2. mongoloid

mongoloid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010

3. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    always bring everything. you never know what might happen. :)

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    June can offer some sizeable waves... In general, june is usually more reliable then July or August. When the Bermuda High settles in during the summer time, OBX benefits the most from the background SE swells, with frequent 2-3+ft playful surf.

5. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    depends on what ya want to ride

Depends on what you like to ride, cause from nags head (depends on the mile post) you are within 40 minute ride from the best surf spot onthe East coast (my opinion, but i love rodanthe, from pea island to koa, and even down at salvo, my favorite place on earth) . The outer banks see waves all year long, not just fall and winter. Last year on the last weekend in June I scored shoulder high super fun waves at jeanettes pier (the new one) .

Whats your quiver like?
    We get early tropical depressions that shoot some surf in June
    If you have a performance fish that grovels well bring that.

put it this way i go down every weekend soon as the kids get out of school to nags head, even with a fresh forecast on a thursday leaving to go down on friday night and me having a real good idea of what the surf is going to be like for the weekend, i still bring two boards! My RNF for knee high surf and my shortboard just in case something like this happens. http://www.surfermag.com/photos/outer-banks-from-above/

There can be two feet of differnece in a 40 mile stretch of sand on the OBX, granted it takes a while in summer (due to traffic to go that 40 mile stretch) but it could be waist high in nags head and S-turns could be head high and sptting chocolaty goodness.

take a look at those photos and you tell me what you should bring....Slim chance it gets all time like these photos the week your there, but what if it does.. and you were going to bring a 7'-3" log!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  6. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    why not just watch the forecast & make a decision a day or so before you leave?
    i will say that i'll be down there about the same time, but in buxton & i'm planning on bringing a good wave board & a groveller. i also store a log at my house there. regardless of what the conditions throw at me, i'll be covered.

7. Scobeyville

Scobeyville Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    i bet youll luck out and get some swell, bring em all

8. soulrebel

soulrebel Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2011
    like everyone said go prepared.I go a couple of weeks every year and althought the forecast may look slack a lot can change in a weeks time. There are a lot more surfable days down there due to the different facing beach directions. Dont be afraid to travel south a little bit. LaST summer i checked the forecast for the week and it was no bigger than waist high. i only took my fish. By mid week a low pressure swept up the coast pushing some solid chest to shoulder swell which left me wishing i had brought my shortie. From now on ill go prepared.Dont forget your 3-2. Upwelling can drop the water 15 degrees in a days time that time of year.

9. HollowDaze

HollowDaze Active Member

Feb 8, 2010
  10. jimmycrab

jimmycrab Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    those pics from the air are sick. What swell was that from?

11. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    I cant rember, they had a few of those shots in the mag a month or two ago... If i rember it was the first hurricane this fall that stayed off the coast. I think it was Danielle, we had so much action there from mid august to early september i can't rember. I am pretty sure that was Danielle though

12. leethestud

leethestud Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    June in the OBX... I surf it often. If there is a loggable wave in vb then there will probably be a ridable or even rip-able wave in southern outer banks. I would bring a retro over a log or funboard. When the waves are little down there they break in really shallow water and move really fast.

PS most of those 2 foot days in nags head will be 3-4 down south. Nags head is were the tourists go, the stretch from rodanthe to the lighthouse is where the surfers go. (dont get me wrong, there are a lot of damn fine surfers living in nags head / kdh, im talking travelers)

13. mattyhams

mattyhams Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Remember, he said end of June. Tropical energy hasn't really started yet, and summer flatness has basically set in. Expect lots of SE background swell, mostly logable but occasionally 3 ft on the right tide/sandbar.

Also, although everyone has mentioned that driving out of town south will get you bigger waves, conditions can change drastically as well in that 40 min drive. Believe me, the drive south is definitely worth it, just expect more intense winds/conditions. Hatty faces a different direction than Nags Head.

And again, like everyone said, things can change quickly down there!

14. bushwood

Jun 4, 2010
    i saw it said end of june

I saw it said end of june, and like i said i have caught super funs waves end of June for years in town and south. In fact best surf/party day of my life i surfed in town end of june years ago., 1 foot overhead at logger head street, 100 feet off the beach crystal green barrels with lips so soft and thin you could see thru them, so I hate to see some guy that typically rides a shortboard come down with a 7' funboard cause it "wont be good cause its end of June" and then its firing and breaking rael fast and he is getting waxed cause he doesnt have the right board.

We all agree though it can get good, come prepared. Like i said if i could bring only one board i would bring a shrotboard that grovels well, ROcket/ dumpser diver/ white diamond . Stubby shortboard basically.

ok now i need to go daydream about hot summer days and really fun chest to shoulder high waves with the cooler of beer on the beach waiting for me when i get done with a 3 hour session, cant wait!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  15. Retzlaff44

Retzlaff44 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Sorta like this?:D
    Nags Head, August 2010. And it wasn't even a tropical swell.

[​IMG]

16. jonmharrell

Dec 19, 2010
    5'10 CI The Pod
    6'2 strive fish
    7'3 fun shape

17. jonmharrell

Dec 19, 2010
    but thanks everyone for the advice