Odds of dying lightning vs shark attack

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by shark-hunter, May 29, 2014.

1. shark-hunter

shark-hunter Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Now, the way the propoganda sharks apologists try to manipulate people(sucessfully I might add!) is to use ridiculous meaningless statstics like lightning statistics. Let's break down the REAL numbers.

Let's say you are a surfer in queensland Australia. Let's say you surf there for a few decades. There have been 58 fatalities and over 163 non fatal attacks for a total of over 200 attacks. The ENTIRE population of queensland is 5.8 million. So if EVERY SINGLE person surfed every single day, then the odds would be 200 in 5.8 million. Way above getting struck by lightning. But of course they don't. These attacks are almost entirely white sharks and are NASTY attacks. We are not talking black tips in Florida stuff.

Let's say 1-2-3/4 of those attacks are on surfers/bodyboarders. Ok so lets say 125 attacks. Now what percentage of population surfs/bodyboards every day? Probably .5% of 5.8 million. So a total surf population in new south wales of 25,000(probably WAY lower than that). We are not talking people who surf once, but people who are lifetime surfers.

So now the odds are 125 in 25,000. or 1 in 200 of being attacked by a white shark in a lifetime. Again that's a gross estimate. And I highly doubt there are 25,000 surfers in brisbane.(where almost the entire population is in )

Anyway the point of this is not exact numbers, but for people to see they are CLEARLY lying to you. If you are a surfer in queensland Australia you are WAY more likely to die of a shark attack

Latest fatality http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26863565
    63 year old women killed.

1 in 200 vs 1 in 2 million. LOL It's so ridiculous that it's absurd.

People should be able to recreate in the ocean. Period. People's safety comes before a stupid fish getting culled.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Oh and this doesn't even take into account the shark nets. WITHOUT those nets, attacks would skyrocket there. Only an idiot would surf there outside of netted areas. Again shark crackpots want to even get rid of the netting! Because they get caught in the nets! Are you f'ing serious with this crap?

3. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    In NJ, yes chance of attack is like getting struck by lightning. It's all about locations. There aren't white sharks in a coastal hunting pattern off NJ with large numbers That's why attacks are low. Same with RI. They're off around the shelf for the most part, except now they've come into monomoy/cape cod area due to exploding seal population.

4. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I agree that odds are way different that what they say based on where you live, but that math is way off...
    You'd have to add 5.8 mil a day for every day that everyone was in the water... So say all the 200 attacks happened over 200 days. Then your odds would be 1 in 5.8 million. But they are over 20 years so they go down.

5. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Are you aware that there are people in this world that have a severe medical condition which causes them to be that way? My mother for instance is one of those people. She is a truck driver that has bad knees and a bad back from driving the truck but you probably do not care about that case either. Oh well I am not one of those people I am 6'4" 245lbs and I exercise every day. I would love to see you say something like to my mother in front of me. Probably never happen though you are probably just an internet tough guy. I doubt very seriously you would say that to someones face. Just my thought.What do you think. Oh I am sorry you probably do not have a brain. I on the other hand will be happy to buy you a plane ticket to come here and see if you have the nerve to say that to someone I know.

6. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    AGAIN point is not EXACT math. Just showing some numbers and showing how ridiculous the statements being made are.

8. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    omg i love lightning too

thanks for posting about it

[​IMG]

9. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    But everyone is not in the water surfing. It's a TINY percentage.

10. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    yeah but lightning is so cool

[​IMG]

11. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    That person died after the cull btw. Definetly was NOT effective. THey didn't even catch any whites. Effective culling is needed

But WAY MORE IMPORTANT AND EFFECTIVE:

They NEED to keep those nets in place. That is by the FAR the most effective strategy there shown by STAGGERING decrease in attacks. They need to put more nets up as well.

Oh and people there need to be educated on REAL risk. Not some nonsense made up in a shark documentary that doesn't give a crap about people and exists to protect sharks.

12. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    i'm just saying your math is way off... Using your example the odds are way lower than 200 in 5.8 mill...

13. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i love topics that talk about lightning

[​IMG]

14. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Oh and nynjsurf, the population was way less than 5.8 million a few decades ago when attacks were being recorded. Also less surfers back then for sure. Again, exact numbers is not point. Point is OBVIOUS lying.

15. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    Odds are 1 in 200 if you are a surfer. Read my entire post. Not everyone surfs. Probably only about 25,000 surfers that surf everyday in queensland. So then odds become 1 in 200, nevermind 200 in 5.8 millions.

To be honest that's conservative. Also probably less than 25,000 people surf regularly in Brisbane. Talking lifetime risk here. Not per year.

16. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    and sharks

my favorite

[​IMG]

17. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i love math too

it's sooo hard

[​IMG]

18. shark-hunter

Apr 29, 2012
    People should at least be made aware of REAL risks if the want to go bodyboarding in queensland at a non net protected break as some mysto reef. You're seriously shark bait. It's not some 1 in 2.3 million risk. All these lies are going to come back to bite these shark conservationists in the ass.

19. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    omg

so true

[​IMG]

20. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Statistics from NOAA:

From 2006 through 2012, 238 people were struck and killed by lightning in the United States. Almost two thirds of the deaths occurred to people who had been enjoying outdoor leisure activities. The common belief that golfers are responsible for the greatest number of lightning deaths was shown to be a myth. During this 7-year period fishermen accounted for more than three times as many fatalities as golfers, while camping and boating each accounted for almost twice as many deaths as golf. From 2006 to 2012, there were a total of 26 fishing deaths, 15 camping deaths, and 14 boating deaths, and 11 beach deaths. Of the sports activities, soccer saw the greatest number of deaths with 12, as compared to golf with 8. Around the home, yard work (including mowing the lawn) accounted for 12 fatalities. For work- related activities, ranching/farming topped the list with 11 deaths.
    Males accounted for 82% of all fatalities, and more than 90 % of the deaths in the fishing and sports categories. Females had comparatively fewer deaths than men in every category, with their highest percentages in the boating-related activities (35%) and routine daily/weekly activities (35%).
    June, July, and August are the peak months for lightning activity across the United States and the peak months for outdoor summer activities. As a result, about 70% of the lightning deaths occurred in the months of June, July, and August, with Saturdays and Sundays having slightly more deaths than other days of the week.
    Ages of the victims varied from young children to older adults with the greatest number of fatalities between the ages of 10 and 60. Within that age range, there were fewer deaths for people in their 30s, possibly due to parents of young children being less involved in vulnerable activities.
    Based on the media reports of the fatal incidents, many victims were either headed to safety at the time of the fatal strike or were just steps away from safety. Continued efforts are needed to convince people to get inside a safe place before the lightning threat becomes significant. For many activities, situational awareness and proper planning are essential to safety.

Compare this to shark attack fatalities in the US, and you have a clear picture of the relative threats...