**Official wetsuit review thread**

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Sep 28, 2010.

1. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Ya me too, def the best 3/2. The only thing I don't like about it is the ankle cuffs. Really tight and every time I put the suit on they feel like they are going to rip or something. I honestly think the whole suit is kind of fragile, but other than that very warm and stretchy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Debating on an O'Neill Superfreak 5/4 or an Xcel Infiniti 6/5 for future LI winters... anyone have any experience in a 6/5? I've heard a lot of people say that it will be too thick to maneuver.. I can't imagine it being THAT much different than a 5/4..

3. Ryan McCall

Ryan McCall Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2014
    If you are going oneil get the pyrotech. If its strictly those two suites get the Xcel. My xcel has lasted 3 seasons, just got destroyed this year. I can prodeal a pyrotech through work, and based on reviews its the only winter suit oneil has made that stacks up against the other companies good suits.

4. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Yeah it was pretty much between those two. I'm on a budget 'cause I'm in my last year of college and they had both on Whiskey Militia for sick deals. Sounds like I'm gonna go with the Xcel

5. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    i don't really feel like making a new thread for this question. money is kind of tight for me so i'm stuck with buying a suit online thats on sale. so if i measured my chest, waist, height etc.. and looked at the sizing chart for a certain brand suit, will the suit fit me right if i measured myself accurately and went by the sizing charts? or should i stop by a shop and try some sizes on to see what fits?

i don't want to go to a local shop and try on suits and then go back home and order it online from a different place, it's not right. but i'll go to a shop to try on suits if i reeaally need to.

6. Losttsol

Losttsol Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2013
    If you've never bought a suit before, then I'd go try some on just to know what size fits. Most of the manufacturers are fairly close though. Once you have a good idea what you wear, then I'd go order online.

7. FUN

FUN Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2014
    thanks

8. eastbreak

eastbreak Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Has anyone ever worn a HyperFlex wetsuit? I am curious how good the quality of this suit is. I usually wear Billabong, RipCurl, or Bodyglove.

9. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I searched old threads here and on swaylocks & erBB for matuse reviews. It seems like everything I run across is from 2008-2010, and the constant criticism was over durability. Does anyone know if this is something that Matuse has addressed over the past few years, or are their suites still known for falling apart inside of a year? Also, heard their customer service is pretty on point, anyone have experience with them? Been thinking about getting a new 3/2 and they have some vintage ones on sale...

10. ocripcurrent

ocripcurrent Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Just picked up a Hyperflex Amp 3 6/5/4mm hooded on eBay for less then $100 barely used. Solid warmth, good construction, industrial zipper.
    I'm a sponger so I cannot use all the regular booties that stand-uppers use because I slip fins over the boots, forced to deal with a 5mm boot. Mine suck and are worn. Has anyone ever done any wetsuit 'hacks' such as putting a plastic bag over your foot before the bootie? I do this out of the water for some outdoor activities, was curious if anyone ever does similar small tricks. (vasolineing your face, hand/foot warmers, etc)
    I'm trying to make these boots last another year so I'm not looking for suggestions on new boots quite yet. Years ago when I first started surfing winter waters I wore a 2/2mm LS spring under a 90's Body Glove 3/2mm and somehow got through that first cold season. I'm no stranger to penny-pinching.

11. sbx

sbx Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    thin wool socks under your boots