**Official wetsuit review thread**

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by mOtion732, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    you've got to try it on, dude. never buy a wetsuit without trying it on first, unless you know that brand/size fits you well.

2. shorepoints

shorepoints Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2010
    I wear a Hooded 4/3 Xcel Drylock through the winter in North NJ and it keeps me warm. Perhaps a slight chill on the coldest/windiest days but the reduced weight/thickness is worth it. For VB, it should be NO PROBLEM to wear this suit through the winter. 5-Mil Drylock boots and 3 mil Drylock gloves should also be fine down in VB. I have found the 3-mil gloves to work well down to about 45 degree water temps. Below that and I switch to 5MM lobster claws.

3. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    yea, i guess your right. when i bought my 4/3 billabong foil steamer (great wetsuit for a very cheap price, backzip is a little annoying, i wish it was a chest zip; other then that no complaints) i went off the size chart and ordered online. it fit great. that may have just been luck tho. plus the sizing chart matched my porportions to the dot, unlike the hyperflex size chart. I'll just have to find a shop that has one. But according to the size chart none of them will fit me perfect :( has anyone ever had this happen?

P.S. i don't understand how anyone can be 5'11, 170lbs and have a size 35 waist

4. NJSwell

NJSwell Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get a 4/3 to last me pretty much from spring to fall. I won't be doing too much winter surfing this year. I've heard that ripcurl/xcel are pretty good for their price.

I am looking to spend around 200$ (can be lower or higher) for a new suit. I have been looking into the xcel infiniti drylock and it seems that everybody has had something good to say about it. If there isn't really anything else, I may go above my price range.

Also, it really doesn't matter what year it was manufactured in, but not too old, of course.

Any pro tips?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. absurfer

absurfer Active Member

Sep 10, 2008
    i have an oneill mutant 4/3 that lasted me the whole winter lst year really warm suit.
    3/2 hammer oneill ok suit but not very warm.
    5/4 mutant, new suit i heard its really warm
    2mm oneill guru shortsleave fullsuit

i ordered a 3.5 / 2.5 oneill psychofreak anyone know how it is?

6. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    wow dude, you're nuts. i didn't even know they made a hooded 4/3 xcel. anyway, i tried wearing my 4/3 in jan w/ a sep. hood on a warm day, and that was a mistake. it took me the entire day to thaw my body out haha

7. ocmdsponger94

ocmdsponger94 Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Im in the same boat, want a fall/spring suit, but i was looking at the xcel infiniti x-zip 4/3 it seems like its gotten good reviews but im also considering a ripcurl (not sure which model) because of the warranty.

any feedback would be appreciated :D

8. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    i just recently purchased a rip curl f-bomb hooded 5/4/3 Chest zip this is my first rip curl suit I have always worn O'niell. Right off the bat i compared how light it was and it was as light as my 4/3 psycho. for a chest zip it wasn't as easy to put on like my mutant. It is super flexible and springy. the water temp hasn't dropped low enough for me to test it out in the water plus with the flat spell its no dice, but when the water temp gets to around 55 ill make sure to give it another review.

9. NJSwell

Aug 26, 2010
    Nice to see someone with the same questions as I! I am almost set on getting a 4/3, I really wouldn't want to buy a 3/2 and 4/3, as I'm saving up for a new board and a car.

Right now I'm only really looking at rip curl and xcel since they're within reasonable price range and they have pretty much everything I'm looking for.

10. ayooo

ayooo Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Does anyone have the ripcurl insulator, looks good. Im in between that and a hyperflex amp

11. UncleKev

UncleKev Active Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I just got a Hyperflex Flow 4/3 And its pretty sweet. Its real comfortable and doesnt really let any water in. I guess the real test will be in Dec but so far Im real happy with it especially for under $200. Ive never minded paying a little more for quality but found the most expensive suits arent always the best. I got mine at cosmic bull in long branch there really cool and helpfull over there.

12. idsmashh

idsmashh Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    so im thinking about selling my new billabong foil steamer and getting a new 4/3. Which one would you get, f-bomb or infinity drylock??? also thinking about getting 3/2 e-bomb pro for late spring next year. any reviews??

13. NJSwell

Aug 26, 2010
    I really want to get a 4/3 infiniti drylock, but i dont have the money seeing as I need to get another board, and also a car... lol

does the e bomb pro have fireskin or thermobamboo?

14. VBVA

VBVA Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    negative f-bomb has plenty of fireskin though

15. GoodVibes

GoodVibes Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Have them both,My Hyperflex is a 5/4/3 so its warmer then my Rip Curl 4/3 but I like the way the Rip Curl feels and looks.All depends if your surfing in January.If you are go with the Hyperflex and if your not go with the Rip Curl.I like the fact that the Rip Curl came with a detached hood.The Rip Curl in my opinion has alot more flex but then again it is a 4/3.

16. Nice_Time

Nice_Time New Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Billabong Suit

i haven't seen any comments on Billabong and since i bought one this summer, i'm tellin about it. Like others, it hasn't been cold enough to test. It's the SG5 4/3
    The neoprene is almost completely lined and soft. you could probably sleep in this suit. i was going to get the F-Bomb but the SG5 was a bit less expensive. They both have the internal neck cover and flush resistant zippers...Works Great in the SG5. I think that feature along make a huge difference.
    Overall, i'm liking the suit. Should be a nice swell in southern NJ this weekend with the water in the 50's and air the same. I'm not thinking of being cold or uncomfortable...nice feeling.

17. bushwood

bushwood Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Quik Cell 6 HFT

ok so I wanted to update my reivew of the Quik Cell 6. I orginally used it in water mid 60s. Now surfing VB and nags head multiple times in 55 - 58 degree water i can give a better review. The wetsuit is super comfrotable and flexible for a suit which is a few years off of the latest and greatest rubber technology. The suit is sealed nicely, duck diving head high waves repeatedly I have had some water getting in thru the neck but by no means a "flush" type thing. With air in the 50s or upper 40s I stayed out with a pair of old 3 mil booties for about an hour and a half mulitple times. I stayed warm for most of the session getting chilly near the hour and 15 minute mark. I am happy with the suit, and if you are like me needing something to fit a budget these suits are great, you can still find them around brand new with tags for $100. Granted 3 years ago this was Quiksilvers $300 top of the line suit, so it is nicer than the entry level suits you can get for this price. 3/2's in the mid atlantic are good for late september thru mid November and mid april thru june.

18. surfingboy65

surfingboy65 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Most likely getting a 6/5/4 Rip Curl F Bomb anyone else have one ?

19. NJSwell

Aug 26, 2010
    one of my buddies has a 4/3 f bomb, it's not the same thickness but the same suit and he said it didnt flush for him, and there's plenty mobility in it.

I have a low budget seeing that I need to spend my money on other things. will this xcel suit cut it?
    http://www.pleasuresports.com/mens-xflex-xzip-43mm-wetsuit.html

20. surfingboy65

surfingboy65 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    thanks it seems like a good suit ill try it out this winter