Offshore Windfarms: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by McLovin, Jun 23, 2011.

1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    local article

I was at a conference here in VB that involved a proposed offshore wind farm to be installed off the coast (around the North End area). They have a long way to go, there are a lot of restrictions in the water here: with the shipping lanes, fishing, environmental stuff, and most of all, the military allocated areas. Personally, I dont want it here. Im not really the best wave-ocean-landscape guru, but these wind turbines (and poles) are huge, theres gonna be a lot of offshore digging and trenching, and I dont want it to ruin what little waves we get out here. But that doesnt matter, I think they are at least 10+ years away, and I dont plan to be living here by then. Some speakers also talked about projects they had throughout the mid-atlantic. There is supposed to be a project involving 6 wind-turbines off the coast of Atlantic City, and there were proposed test projects in the MD and DE areas. Plus theres the Cape Wind debacle.

How do you guys feel about this?

2. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I want to see them everywhere. I live very close to a giant one right now and its awesome.

3. live aloha

live aloha Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    well, if nothing else, it sure beats coal. we also need to focus far more heavily on the DEMAND side. there's great potential for new development on that end and lots of people working to make it happen.

Demand Response Research Center at LBNL is doing some amazing stuff. Here's a link to their site if you're interested. You can download most of their published stuff for free at the site.
    http://drrc.lbl.gov/publications/op...ynamic-pricing-technologies-and-demonstration

4. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    I am a proponent... I have never done any extensive research, but from what I can tell there is mostly positives and minimal negatives. I believe the hardest part about any of this new clean energy technology is making the technology cost effective. My guess it that they are able to make these offshore wind farms cost effective since it seems to becoming an increasing popular idea.

5. cresto4

cresto4 Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
  6. zach619

zach619 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    yeah, im not opposed to them at this point, but again, my opinion lacks extensive research. I know that they are planning them on the west coast as well, and with tons of wind activity sending us all that surf, I have to wonder why they wouldnt try and harness all that raw power...

And as far as it affecting the waves or surfing in VB, I was under the assumption that these turbines are installed WAYYYYY offshore. Not even within eye sight, so waves would probably difract around any installed piping, and if you think about it, if it is installed directly east of North End, it would take a perfectly direct, dead on, and I mean perfectly east swell to come right at it. Every other swell angle would clear it the way it normally would.

Maybe some one could shed light on where they install these things, but I thought it was 20+ miles out to sea. Anyone?

7. super fish

super fish Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I think it's a great idea and we should really expand upon it. I mean look, we have all this energy floating around every day all over the place, wind. Instead of using free wind, we pump oil and mine coal out of the ground. It doesn't really make sense (other than for cars ect.) to use coal or oil for an energy source when we could just build a few of these. Yes, they may be expensive to initially build, but over the years they would pay themselves off. If each city had a wind farm, I am sure they would cut electric costs by A LOT. I am not sure how effective they would be off shore, with big storm swells/hurricanes, but I believe onshore they may be a bit safer.

8. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    One proposal I read indicated that you would see the turbines... they'd be about as big as your thumb at arm's length.

So it comes down to this... what do you want to look at, wind turbines or oil rigs? Because that will be our legacy.

9. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    According to the planners, the one in VB would be far enough offshore to be out of sight. They can't get any closer since military operations happen in a good chunk of square footage right offshore. Its expensive for sure right off the bat due to the capital cost, but the payoff is that prices will not fluctuate like oil.

Polls are being done to see if residents are willing to pay a couple of cents more per kilowatt-hour than normal, but not have the rates fluctuate as much as they do today.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  10. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    The eye sore issue, in my opinion, is ridiculous... Every road in America has a telephone pole with electric wires going across - no one is complaining about that at this point... Anyway, I think in most cases, the farms are far enough off the coast and not within sight.

11. mOtion732

mOtion732 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2008
    personally, i like seeing wind farms. when i see those in atlantic city, they make me happy, not angry. it shows we're making progression toward green energy and a better future.

12. Swellinfo

Swellinfo Administrator

May 19, 2006
    Like...
    In Nags Head, at the Jennetts Pier, they have some wind turbines on the pier. Apparently the wind turbines fuel the entire pier's electricity, which includes a restaurant on the pier. Not sure if this is true or not, but it is definitely cool... The wind turbines on the pier weren't an eye sore at all, in fact they looked cool and were a perfect way to monitor the change wind direction and speed.

13. Bodhi

Bodhi Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    -To generate the same amount of electricity as a single 1-MW turbine for 20 years would require 23 million tons of coal or 92,000 barrels of oil.

-A single 1-MW turbine displaces 1,800 tons of carbon dioxide, the primary global warming pollutant, each year

-A 1-MW turbine generates enough electricity for 250 to 300 homes

http://www.continentalwindpower.com/windenergybasics.php

Just a few quick facts. I actually gave a presentation on Wind Farms for the Outer Banks and Northeastern NC for my public speaking class last week. The start-up costs for these things are pretty high and not very economical, but the long term effects greatly outweigh the high prices for construction.

14. Bodhi

Bodhi Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011

This is true...and no they are def not an eye sore! Like someone posted earlier, it is great for surfers because you can tell the wind speed (estimate) and direction. I personally think wind harnessing should be exploited in all parts of the nation that contain significant amounts of steady winds.

15. RobG

RobG Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I'm all for wind farms even with the initial costs. I've been seeing them pop up inland all over and think its awesome, any way we can start to decrease our dependence on fossil fuels is a step in the right direction.

16. epidemicepic

epidemicepic Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Good info, don't forget that they make these things up to 5 megawatts now too, with plans to go to 7.5 mw soon... if they haven't already.

17. trashinwb

trashinwb Member

Nov 21, 2007
    I wrote a paper on green energy sources last year also. The pros definitely outweigh the cons. And anyone who has been to Spain or Portugal will tell you that the wind turbines are every where. To see a large number of them all spinning at once is really quite impressive.

What does AC have, 5? Portions of Andalucia I traveled through had like 30-40 visible within eyesight. Canaries, too.

18. Salty

Salty Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm all for alternative sources of energy, including wind turbines, but offshore? It will f*ck up the swell, guaranteed! Just wait till they're up, then it'll be too late! Put them onshore - there's still wind on the barrier islands and the mainland! Leave the offshore sites alone!

19. GnarActually

GnarActually Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    bad. too much $$$$ to build and up keep. No real difference between cost and energy made

20. Ray F.

Ray F. Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Does anybody know of any windfarms that power a sizable area independently? I'm all about greener, but I haven't read (or heard) of any hard data (from an unbiased study) suggesting they have actually replaced or reduced the environmental impact of existing oil, gas or coal plants.

After seeing the statistics for recycling (vs the claims), I have to admit that I'm skeptical of any government-run "green" programs until I see the facts....not the proposals.