Our Surf Breaks in Jeopardy due to Pollution : Protest Aug 11th, Stuart Beach

Discussion in 'East Florida' started by Protect Your Beach, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Protect Your Beach

Protect Your Beach Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Our Surf Breaks and Beaches Are Being Poisoned.

We are having cyanobacteria blooms (blue-green algae) and the water is so dangerous in the estuary people are becoming sick from enteric bacteria infections. Our Health Dept, Martin County, has issued warnings to avoid contact with the water for months now (and every year during the rainy season). Residents are reporting ear infections and pink eye from the beaches adjacent to the Inlet too. FYI I am an Environmental Tech, it is my job to know the facts.

My dive video : What this poison looks like underwater (view in HD)
    [video=youtube;SQlabMNP8N4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlabMNP8N4[/video]
    Join the Event on facebook:https://www.facebook.com/events/635279196497094/
    6.30.13 Poison spilling out of our Inlet Photo credit Jacqui Thurlow-Lippisch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  2. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    Any chance this problem has made it's way up to North / Central FL? My eyes were on FIRE on Sunday, might of been sunscreen but IDK, it was brutal. I normally use the Coppertone stick on my face and lotion on my body but I forgot the stick this time and only used the lotion (on my face), so that could of been the issue, but figured if that were the case it would have worn off eventually, but I was blinded most of the session, to the point I had to put my sunglasses on to be able to even open them. I rinsed them with fresh bottled water several times after I left and after about 45 minutes to an hour they finally simmered down.

3. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Probly all the damn fertilizers we use causing the blooms.

4. brewengineer

brewengineer Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Bingo. This is a huge problem in the great lakes, but probably also an issue on the coast. I know that the James River in VA dumps tons of agricultural runoff into the Chesapeake Bay.

5. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    The problem is the Big Sugar industry has donated lots of money to elect people who are in charge ( The Governor) of appointing the people who are in charge of making decisions on where the polluted water goes--- ( The South Florida Water Management District board members), and how it is to be treated as it is released. The environmental interests, surfing interests, boating and diving interests, and the local merchants ( ie: hotels, charters, surf camps, water front real estate, water front restaurants, etc.) are being trampled by the machine. The solution is to organize and go to Tallahassee, and bring a bunch of stinky dead fish from the St. Lucie and the Caloosahatchee Rivers, and dump it on Governor Voldemort's lawn, and get busted, and get on TV and make it a real "TV spectacle" so people become educated to this complex issue.

Then we can get some enforcement on the laws and judgements already on the books and in federal court regarding Everglades restoration, filter marshes, retention marshes, flow ways etc. The state government thinks it is in their best interests to totally ignore federal regulations on clean water. I am not an attorney, and do not have lots of resources since the downturn. Protect Your Beach: I feel your frustration and wish you well. Let me know if any positive action is imminent and I will help publicize the event.

6. Betty

Betty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2012
    I like your idea SIsurfdog. Two weeks ago after a discharge from Lake O, our beach suddenly changed from Blue water to yellow green. Very disturbing. That rally last Saturday withover 5,000 people was a huge success! We gotta raise money to buy our own politicians. Gov voldemort! ha, great name.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. Protect Your Beach

Aug 6, 2013
    Check with your local health dept, if your lucky they are more on point then ours. We have a reactive HD rather than a proactive one.

8. Protect Your Beach

Aug 6, 2013
    Been in this fight for 5+ years. Thanks for writing down the basics, I didn't want the lead post to be about a page long. Most don't like the technical jargon. I work with 2 scientists locally and also am a team member of the Southeat Florida Coral Reef Initiative. I survey corals and fish species and abundance on our local nearshore reefs as well as restoration projects and monitoring in the St. Lucie River and Indian River Lagoon. I do not work for an agencey I am freelance which means i'm poor but I have a big mouth that I excerise frequently.
    I feel we are at a tipping point in regards to apathetic citizenry. On saturday we had 3,000 + people at the St. Lucie Locks protesting. If you would like please msg me for more info. Upcoming events:

AUG 8TH THURSDAY
    Thursday, Aug. 8. 2013, at 9 a.m. WATER RESOURCES ADVISORY COMMISSION
    http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1110675265641-450/FINAL_WRAC_Agenda_08082013.pdf
    Indian RiverSide Park – Frances Langford Dockside Pavilion
    1707 N.E. Indian River Drive
    Jensen Beach, FL 34957

AUG 11TH SUNDAY
    PEACEFUL PROTEST AT EVERY BEACH FROM JENSEN BEACH TO STUART BEACH.
    11AM EVERYONE WILL PROTEST AT THE WATERS EDGE.

AUG 22ND THURSDAY Senate committee on the Indian River Lagoon headed by Sen Negron
    FROM 10AM-9PM
    AT THE KANE CENTER IN STUART.

9. Protect Your Beach

Aug 6, 2013
    Our health dept says the beaches are ok. They are tested bi-weekly whereas the river sites are weekly. They have had dozens of calls from citizens with pictures like this, yet they refuse to do more testing or at least put up a sign at the beach.
    From Kayla Joy Ankiel "Spent Over 3 Hrs With My 4Yr Old Daughter in the ER tonight! She Was covered in this horrible rash, due to the fact we Spent all day yesterday at bath tub beach in stuart....Unaware of the toxins in the water! She is now on antibiotics & steroids for 7days!!!! Something needs to be done ASAP!"
    563026_10201180209802694_1307100349_n.jpg

10. Protect Your Beach

Aug 6, 2013
    On our first dive before the "wall" hit. We had 30 feet of vis
    Carijoa riisei (aka. white telesto)
    P7270058.jpg

11. Protect Your Beach

Aug 6, 2013
    It's bad enough as it is with the beach "de" nourishment projects creating turbidity (cloudy water) and the increase potential for shark bites, but now we have both cloudy water and polluted dark water to surf in! Needless to say I have not been surfing lately.

12. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    If you have any flyers, PM me a digital file, I will print some, and hand some out here in Northern Palm Beach County. Your problem is our problem too ( not as bad yet ), and I am sure there are a few activists here that would like to know and share this information.

13. H2O'C

H2O'C Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Jensen is my local zone. I am in however I can help. See ya Sunday.