Peru: an inside view

Discussion in 'All Discussions' started by trevolution, Feb 3, 2017.

1. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Please tell me how!?

2. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Swiss Army knife....

3. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Trev, keep crushing life mang. Officially moving to Washington on March 19th... I hope to get a few sessions in with you when you return to the PNW for fire season. keep us posted mang, enjoy hearing your stories

4. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I've tried that... they just keep crushing and breaking off. Unless there's a technique I'm not using...

5. trevolution

trevolution Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    alright so first of all im talking about the small little spines that get jammed under your skin, not the big huge ones from the movies. They look like little black specks of sand under your skin but they hurt like hell.

Get a needle, sterelize it with flame and procede to carve all the skin above the spine off so there is a hole above the spine. Most likely unless your a pro your gonna dig the sucker deeper in the process, but thats fine. Pour hydrogen peroxide on that mother and soak in warm water. Within two days the f u cker should be close enough to the surface to get some good tweezers and tweeze it out. Don t mess up and push it deeper this time or it will be another two days and probable infection.

6. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    Sick dude! get in touch with kidrock hes homie in the southern washington zone. Kidrock, haydukes the fellow from rhode island who sold me my cargo box for cheap.

on a non surfing related note, cusco is a f u c king sweet mountain town. Mad good cheap food, cheap high quality clothes (got a dope alpaca wool sweater for 10 bucks and hippie yoga pants for 7 bucks) mad hot girls walking around, and plus the altitude makes you get more bang for your buck. 5 percent beer is like 10, saves you cash if your not an idiot and pace yourself.

Additionally, theres coco leaves everywhere (the precursor of cocaine) you use them to adjust to the altitude by making tea or chewing them, but they give you a nice kick to (think high quality cofee without the shakes).

Pretty crazy to see bowls of what would land you a life sentance in the states on basically every table place setting.

7. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Heyduke, shoot me a PM when you get out here and I'll give you the rundown.

Coca leaves "everywhere" huh? Hmmmmmm...........

8. Mr.Belmar

Mr.Belmar Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    I have used a needle in the past along with a sharp knife to dig them out... other then digging them out, I don't know of any other way that works well...

I have heard of a method of digging down to it with a needle/knife, then drip wax (candle not surf wax) on it- let it dry and then pick the wax out- the black peices are suppose to stick to the wax. A friend of mine tried it and if I remember correctly- it seemed to make more of a mess then it's worth... but the theory seems good specially adding the heat of the wax...

Anyways- they sell really nice and sharp tweezers for like 10 bucks that are helpful...

9. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    I have had Wana in my foot...after you dig out big pieces and while it's opened up, soak in vinegar. It will dissolve any bits left over and it helps keep the bacteria away. Does not always work. I had one close back up and get super tender and soar...probably infection. Opened that sucker back (digging that thing open hurt) up and soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Eventually it healed up.

10. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Here's my method. First off, drink some beers or other alcohol. Weed is fine as well. Give significant other needle and tweezers then green light them to go to town until the little bastards are out. For whatever reason I am an urchin magnet. I think it has something to do with the fact I mostly surf beachbreaks on east coast thus I tend to touch the bottom with my feet a lot. People who surf reef all the time are trained not to touch the sea floor.

11. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Tres, a method used extensively for decades in PR is to soak the area well with WHITE vinegar first--the acidic action softens the surrounding skin (which is around urchin needles) so needles are then easier to push/press out, or retrieve with tweezers.

12. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    4 Trips to PR with not one urchin for me. Lucky I guess, sounds f'ing awful.

13. HaydukeLives!

HaydukeLives! Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Sounds good KR, few more weeks

14. ClemsonSurf

ClemsonSurf Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    +1 for the hot vinegar soaks. I've also heard of wood glue to take out splinters, it might work the same here.

I was attacked by a vicious urchin my first time in PR and it bothered me on land but I was fine in the water and on the board. Not sure if it was adrenalin or softened skin. I'd work on getting them out for a while each night with pretty good success.

The last one finally came out nearly 2 weeks later. I was in the office alone cutting, poking and squeezing at this pencil lead sized urchin spine and it finally shot out of my heel and hit the ceiling.

15. LBCrew

LBCrew Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    On my very first trip to PR as a kid, I was talking to a local who told me, "Neber tush de reef." Good advise, but not always possible!

16. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    so the urchin spines are out and i got to hike around machu picchu with the throngs of asian tourists yesterday (pretty badass i suggest everyone does it once in their life). drank a beer on the top of the mountain and meditated at tres portulas.

lucky for me the hippie dippie stuff is coming to a close and tommorrow me and my gal pal are headed back to the coast right in time for a decent swell. time for some more shredding, lucky for me my girlfriend likes the beach.

17. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Probably belongs in the Fukushima thread, but related to Trev:

King5 News ran a story a couple days ago stating that samples of Cesium-134 have been detected in the waters off Gold Beach and Tillamook. The element has been established to have the fingerprint from Fukushima. The element has never been detected in these waters before. Levels are deemed to be so low as to not be harmful.

By going to Peru, Trev might have saved himself the embarrassment of sprouting a 3rd eye lol.

Guess it won't be much longer until it works its way up here

18. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    well that explains the lumps that formed over my lymph node in the back of my neck. oh well both of the parents got the cancer twice and lived im sure ill have to do that terrible dance at some point.

between gmos mres and irradiated ocean water i spend eight hours a day in i expect super powers or an enlarged johnson by the time im fourty

19. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    lol funny how this thread slowly progressed to a radioactove sea urchin removal thread. hell yea! whatever keeps the homies happily bantering away

holy crap i just ate a guinea pig.... i guess thats what they do around here and when in rome.....

my girlfriend started crying

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  20. trevolution

Feb 16, 2012
    IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

girlfriend took these, hopefully shell get some surf shots in the next few days. I cant take pics on my phone and upload until i get back to the states but ill get a few at somepoint. mountains aint bad tho

IMG_1247.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017