PUERTO RICO TRAVEL - Any advice??

Discussion in 'Puerto Rico' started by SUSPECT922, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SUSPECT922

SUSPECT922 Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Hey all-
    Just a Lake Superior surfer trying to get some advice on Puerto Rico (Yeah, some of us surf in the lake). My wife and I are flying there next February, and we're looking for a place to stay for two weeks, best spots for mellow surf and mellow localism, and best sightseeing/activities while we're not wet. Any advice is much appreciated. Looking to go low cost, probably around $600-$800 for the two weeks for lodging. If you know of any great off the beaten path restaurants, things you can't miss when we're there, etc. let me know.

Thanks!
    Ryan

2. KDSurfsNJ

KDSurfsNJ New Member

Jul 29, 2008
    Pr

One of my favorite travel spots. Definatly stay in Rincon. Check Island West Properites web site. Nice condos for cheep. Stay just south of Marias Point for mellow. More north is party central. Great if you have rental car. Check L&M rental for cheapest car rates. Go to the Caves for a day trip. Cavernous de Camui. Also the live cock fights are cool. Stay far way from San Juan. Toursit trap. Red Snapper is the best.

3. latedrop

latedrop Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Rincon is definately a great place to be when the surf is on, but can be flat for long stretches even during the right season... alot of great spots in a very small area. However, I would have to say I've seen some of the baddest localism at some of these spots, even the most popular ones. Last year I saw this one guy paddle straight to the front of the lineup at one local spot, and within 5 minutes was being beaten up by 3 locals. That being said, if you lay low and respect you shouldnt have a problem.

Also, tons of fun spots all over the island, San Juan area is holding too...

4. surfista

surfista Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Pr

Been to PR twice and lived there for a while on an internship. Awesome spot and affordable. Surf Rincon and check Aguadilla just north of it for varying breaks. There's a good surf map online with a description of all the breaks. If you fly into SJU airport check out El Yunque rain forest. Culebra is a really desolate island of the east coast, if you want to really get away. There is minimal surf there though. Follow proper surf etiquette and show respect out towards Maria's and Domes, these are crowded reef breaks.

5. bb.rider

bb.rider Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2008
    isabella is a good spot. picks up trade swell when there is no ground swell. though 2 weeks in feb you'll def see ground swell. anywhere rincon up to isabella is good. wilderness in aguadilla is laid back, fun, clean waves.

6. bb.rider

bb.rider Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2008
    and def grab some octopus mofungo while you'r there. boricua!

7. neptunehui

neptunehui Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Best deal around!!!!!!!!!!

Rent out a brand new condo for cheap check out www.vrbo.com the listing # is 214129 in Rincon PR, GUARANTEED LOWEST RATE AROUND!!!!!!!

8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Thank you for this informationn. I am going to visit PR some days and I am gathering any info I can find.. :)

9. neptunehui

neptunehui Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to www.vrbo.com and search #219129, I have a brand new condo 2 bed, 2 bath with all the amenities and even include boards,ignore the price we can make the best deal possible.

10. Magno

Magno Member

Mar 7, 2010
    I suggest you get in contact with the people at www.aguaysalitre.com. They offer Private Surfing Tours, Eco Tours and all sorts of transportation around the Island so you dont have to go thru the hassle of renting a vehicle, driving, etc.

Ive visited a few times and I always use their services, check them out you wont regret it.

11. joshthebaker

joshthebaker New Member

May 11, 2009

this is by far the best place to stay in rincon.......amazing condo, gated, pool, grill, full kitchen, super close to all the breaks in rincon.......james rocks! going in 5 days cant wait!