Puerto Rico Trip/Boards

Discussion in 'Mid Atlantic' started by 34thStreetSurfing, Aug 20, 2012.

1. 34thStreetSurfing

34thStreetSurfing Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Sup guys,
    I know one of these threads pop up like once every two weeks, but thought I'd try and get some input. I'm trying to go on my first ever REAL surf trip to PR this winter. I would like to go like a week or two before christmas and apparently thats when its most consistent. Reading through old threads it sounds like Casa Verde is a good place to stay, and flying into San Juan and renting a car is the best bet?

Main question is, should I bring a board with me? I have a 5'8 quad fish, 5'11 thruster, and a 6'4 fat thick merrick. I know the local shops there will have a really good idea of what I should be riding, but if you guys have any input or suggestions that'd be awesome.

Also from reading other threads it sounds like JetBlue is the answer and has the cheapest flights and board transportation rates.

Thanks in advance.

2. surftb15

surftb15 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Not just for PR, but for travel in general, always bring your own boards! During peak season in PR (when you are traveling) the shops may not have a board that you like. You don't want to travel and not find a board. Bringing boards on the airlines is well worth the price.

Jetblue or American are the best for boards. Just pack them good (foam on rails, bubble foam) and you will be fine. I fly American and sometimes they don't even charge me at all. American charges per surfboard bag (regardless of number of surfboards), Jetblue charges per board (regardless of the bag). Jetblue costs more to bring the boards, so just remember to factor that into the ticket.

Bring the quad and thruster, with a few fins. You might even be fine with just the thruster. But I like to have multiple boards with me with tons of fins.

3. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    Thats a good point about the number of boards per bag, didn't really factor that into the equation. Thanks!

4. spleeft

spleeft Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    I would suggest flying into BQN over San Jaun any day........Eff that drive across the island.

5. forman

forman Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm going to PR for the third time as well this January - the shops (especially if you're staying for 6-7 days) will be just as expensive as bringing your own board (if not more) and will limit you on your ability to travel around. Definitely bring your own board - I will be bringing a 5'10 CI Flyer (really all you need is a good thruster SB and you're set). Flying into Aguadilla is the best; the whole west / northwest coast is filled with some awesome spots, and that airport is 20 - 30 mins away rather than the 2 and a half hour drive San Juan is.

6. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    I'm flying Jetblue straight into to Aguadilla (BQN) in less than two months, and have a very short drive to Puntas / Rincon area, saves 3hrs (maybe more in Dec. being peak season) of driving. Do yourself a favor and skip San Juan, get a car, and stay in a private villa (which i found cheaper than any hotel) or check out Rincon Beach Resort or Lazy Parrot. If you want to stay for two weeks going with a private villa is probably the best bet IMO

7. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    do you still rent a car if your flying in through aguadilla?

8. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    We are, because it's cheap and it will allow us to explore the island

9. spleeft

spleeft Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Def get a car ( rental at the airport ).......and hit all the spots......west and North

10. surftb15

surftb15 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Yea, rent a car and make sure to get the insurance on it. WHen I was in Barbados, I completely ****ed up my little Jeep and they didn't say anything or charge me additionally.

11. darippah

darippah Well-Known Member

May 27, 2008
    I like to travel light. last time i went to costa ... it Costs like $10/ day = $100 for 10 days... it can cost that much each way on some airlines. Besides most shops allow you to swap out for a different board in case the conditions change.. guess if your going away for a while it pays to bring a board, but I usually do 7 day trips

12. esasurf

esasurf Member

Aug 13, 2011
    hey guys im about to go to pr also, how old do you have to be to rent a car from the airport?

13. DawnPatrol321

Mar 6, 2012
    They don't check age, they ask you to drop your pants to make sure it's big enough

14. ND081

ND081 Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    unless you're really picky about your boards, you can just leave them home. rent from bobby at mar azul surf shop, i know dawnpatrol is staying with him. last time i rented from him i think it was like $20 a week and he let me switch boards as often as i liked. i actually broke a fin on the reef and screwed up the fin box but he didn't charge me a cent extra. they actually have a really good selection so you'll probably end up finding exactly what you want anyway.

and yes rent a car. no matter where you stay there are a bunch of great breaks you're going to want to check out that are all within a 5 minute drive of eachother. on the mar azul site there's a map of basically every wave on the west side of the island. also BQN is the way to go it'll save you alot of driving and you'll be able to surf 2 extra days (depending on what time your flights are).

15. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    good advice about renting boards here. Jetblue does charge per trip and it gets expen$ive. Mar azul does have a lot of boards..not sure if Green Room rents but they have a lot, too.
    a week or two before Christmas being most consistent, well, maybe. We mostly depend on storms coming down the Eastern seaboard to produce waves, so buy your ticket and take your chances. Guaranteed that those two weeks are among the most insanely crowded also, as are the two weeks just after Christmas--all the local schools are out, the locals take time off, it's a grand time..

16. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    Yeah I was reading on some of the other threads that schools getting out could be a big issue with crowds in the water. Are there enough breaks in the area to get my fix? I'm sure there are a million breaks on the west side that may or may not be breaking.

17. nynj

nynj Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I always bring my own boards. I understand its cheaper to rent, but I like to ride boards I know work for me.
    Definitely fly into BQN. Good waves minutes from the airport... And youshould get a car. There's waves all over the north and west that you will need a carr to get to

18. S-T-R-E-T-C-H

S-T-R-E-T-C-H Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Hit me up when u get here i live in rincon and love sharing 'secret' spots. Just for sum buds to shred w. fly into aguadilla rent a car n find the cheapest place u can imagine urself staying in. Ur gonna want the extra cash. N def bring ur own boards. Theres nothing more aggrivating than trying to figure out a new wave w anew board. Best luck man. Ill b here when u get here n ull kno im there cuz im the only redneck w a lifted chevy on the island

19. tropic surfer

tropic surfer Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2011
    Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the winds, swell size, crowd factor..like anywhere else.
    Don't let anyone tell you there are 'secret' spots, though.

20. 34thStreetSurfing

Aug 13, 2009
    Last question is if anyone has stayed in the Rincon Inn? at 45 dollars a night for two people, you cant really beat it. Anyone stayed there? Horror stories? Awesome stories? I really just want a place to lay my head at night and rest for the next day. Thanks everyone for the advice