Rental Car in Costa

Discussion in 'Surf Travel' started by aka pumpmaster, Mar 6, 2017.

1. aka pumpmaster

aka pumpmaster Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Heading down next week and getting a rental. What insurance should i get?

2. mattinvb

mattinvb Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2014
    check your credit card benefits first (assuming your not paying cash). Many cc companies offer rental car insurance as a perk for being a cardmember (along with a boatload of other benefits such as extended warranties at no extra cost). I know mine offers full coverage when renting a car overseas, as long as I pay in full with my card. Worth looking into

3. JayD

JayD Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2012
    This is true...I had a claim in CR (rock hit the windshield). I had a $50 deductible and it was taken care of through my VISA benefits.

4. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    called Visa and I'm covered. Thanks all.

5. DawnPatrol321

DawnPatrol321 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    SI has the best advice around, hands down!

6. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    for a bunch of douche canoes

7. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

One little addition you may want to check. A broken windshield or small dent is covered by all, BUT, if the car is no longer usable UNTIL repairs are finished, you may be liable for daily rental loss to the rental company--BEST TO MAKE SURE you are covered for that as well. That can be the illegible very small writing on the back part of the 3rd page of the rental contract.
    I know 2 persons that got fvcked by that when abroad on vacation.
    Check it out!! HEADS UP!!!

8. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
    THREAD HIJACK ALERT

So where ya going Pump?

Please don't answer "Costa Rica". What part(s)

9. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    Hermosa area is home base.

10. kidde rocque

kidde rocque Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2016
  11. UnfurleD

UnfurleD Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2016
    My buddy was planning a trip to that area (hermosa home base as well) in November, but he just let me know today that he's reconsidering and thinking Nicoya Peninsula (liberia). Would like to hear about it from you when you're back. Did research on previous forum posts, but there could be something new that you may be able to point out. We're planning on booking a trip in the next month. Have fun, get after it!

12. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

Tell him to go to Hermosa.
    My experience with CR tells me Tamarindo sucks big time.

13. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Go south to Esterillos Hueso it's cool laid back with longboardable and mellow long shorboardable waves and good property for sale, go further south if you have the time - to Dominical it's a trippy hippy jungle beach town, hit The Point if your surfing is on point. No closeouts there. Have a brand new leash! Make sure it is tied properly. Don't hang out, or even go in to Jaco, unless you are not as smart as I think you are. And do a zip line tour if you go south, it's great once you've almost drowned in the surf, you might as well almost die flying thru the canope into oblivion, it's all good and have a very nice time!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  14. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    Get the cheapest third party liability. CR has crazy rules. If you refuse they will put a $3k hold on your cc. Most gringo insurances are not recognized. Every time I go to CR there are Americans arguing this aspect with the rental company.

15. smitty517

smitty517 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2008
    By the way, stay with Hermosa. if it is closing out there are points to the south and east.

16. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    yep. surfed Esterillos a ton. Very fun wave. Do you know if there is a grocery store in Hermosa now (been awhile since Ive been down).

17. Barry Cuda

Barry Cuda Guest

No. People do not eat in Hermosa..........

18. aka pumpmaster

Apr 30, 2008
    last time i was down (pre-highway) you had to go to Jaco to get supplies. Hoping there is something in PH.

19. sisurfdogg

sisurfdogg Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Try sending an email to info@costaricasurf.com - a buddy of mine owns it (or used to) and they will have more up to date info than I do.

20. Special Whale Glue

Special Whale Glue Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Get the insurance that lets you drive like you're in a Baja race while shooting guns in the air and drinking beer, with zero deductible.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017