Right of way! (paddling out)

Discussion in 'West Florida' started by johnnytoobad, Aug 24, 2010.

1. johnnytoobad

johnnytoobad Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    surf etiquette....i dont know actually....If I am paddling out and a surfer is riding a wave, i should do all that i can to get out of his way but shouldnt he turn, cutback, drop the wave to avoid me? (seeing as he has the mobility at the moment) like i see a guy paddling out in my line i bail i turn i drop the wave, i do all that i can not to get near him unless im in control.....
    So I am a nice guy to a point.....with that said: tony with the yellow short board i think you need to learn how to turn.....:mad: damn didnt anyone get out the last two days? going this am soon....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

2. nms1

nms1 New Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Looking for some additional tips on avoiding others when paddling out. I know not to head out where others come in, and I know to paddle into the breaking wave to give priority to someone coming in, but sometimes that still doesn't seem enough. Like recently, I had caught a wave partway in on a beach break. After, I turned to head out beyond the break again. Since I was already partway out, I had no choice to pick a different way out which would avoid others, I was already out there. I saw someone coming in on a wave, and a paddled into the breaking wave and duck dove to avoid him. Came up from the duck dive and saw yet another guy making the drop. I couldn't really go either way, he was way too close to go either side. Plus, since I didn't know for sure if he'd make the drop, picking the wrong way to go would lead to a real fast collision. So, what do you do there? How do you avoid that situation and how to deal when you get stuck in it?

3. Kahuna Kai

Kahuna Kai Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    surf etiquette

Dudes, I feel your pain. As the line ups become more crowded, issues like that you both spoke of become more prevalent. Sometimes you encounter unavoidable conflict in crowded lineups, sometimes from your own mistakes and sometimes because of inconsiderate surfers. My only words of wisdom, which are probably obvious, find your own surf spot where others do not flock to, and don't tell anyone about it. Living in Jacksonville, there is a huge surfing population, and like all other populations, there are a few nice folks, and a lot of angry souls. I have a couple of nooks I hit up, but don't share the location with anyone. You may have to sacrafice and ride a lesser quality break, but there is something serene about solitude.

4. HighOnLife

HighOnLife Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2014
    See "surf etiquette" thread from a few weeks back.

5. seldom seen

seldom seen Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Pay attention in class.

6. EmassSpicoli

EmassSpicoli Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Grommet. You can't just start bumping old treads for the sake of it. You need to be strategic in doing so.

7. rxsurf90

rxsurf90 Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    That's a neat little fact at the end of the video. 36 minute wave!? Damn..

8. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    seriously...HOL/RIsurfer needs some regulating.

9. LazyE

LazyE Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2014
    If you get caught inside with riders up and coming control your board!!! It happens to everbody at some point. If you don't know which way to go let the rider pick the line and then react. If you f*cked somebody's wave up apologize and give them a wave or two later. This will go a long way to keeping peace in the lineup. Also, make sure you qualify to be in said lineup. If not paddle to another spot!!!!

10. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Study hall dude

11. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    Then help me... Idk what you're waiting for...

12. metard

metard Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2014
    just run them over

then be all like "omg, i'm so sorry i didn't see you"

13. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    Didn't you say you were gonna stop this teeny-boppin jerk off bull**** when you revealed your former identity as RIsurfer(which we all already knew)?

14. seldom seen

Aug 21, 2012
    metard did you see your thread?

15. njsurfer42

njsurfer42 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009

it's pretty simple: don't post stupid **** or bump irrelevant threads that have been dead for 5+ years.

16. HighOnLife

Jun 3, 2014
    ok.